• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Name a "Mainstream BlockBuster" you actually like!

jenngorham said:
i think it was a blockbuster. it was made into a really successful popular movie and then the book got immensely popular again. i love that book and movie as well.
I also think that Cold mountain was a blockbuster. Regardless, I really enjoyed it. I also had the good fortune of attending the premiere of the movie. They had the premiere at the University of Virginia here in Charlottesville. Some of the people involved with making the movie discussed its filming before showing the movie. Many of the scenes were shot in Virginia. They said that Renee Zellweger was content anywhere as long as there was a "Starbucks' in the vicinity. I think it was Renee's greatest acting performance. As you probably know, most of the mountain scenes were shot in Romania for economical reasons.

Hold on a second, critics of the World. . . .

Cold Mountain, what I thunk

That book sucked terribly. It has no redeeming merit at all. The movie was even worse. Sorry, but what can you compare it to and say it's actually better than? Gone with the Wind?

Suck suck suck, both book and movie, yes they do.

I've never heard of Cold Mountain....so I would not consider it a blockbuster...but that's just me. Y'all can call it what you want....

Cold Mountain wishes it was a blockbuster. Or literature. But, no. It's just a melodrama. But you might like it, Moto. It has Southerners in it.

There was a book and a movie, might have been a made for TV movie that I recall being quite the rage one summer.... cowboys...the south....

damn.....can't quite think of the book's title....

It was probably Cormac McCarthy's All the Pretty Horses? He also wrote Cities of the Plain and another one. I've read a few of his. He lost me on Cities of the Plain. I got bored on like page two. But he's better than Charles Frazier by a longshot.

what about lonesome dove? that was a huge miniseries and a bestseller. i loved both of the those as well. not to mentions mcmurtry's terms of endearment, but actually i don't know how well the book did.
either way lonesome dove was a hit in it's day.

that's it....jenn got it...Lonesome Dove...

Was the Thornburds or Thornbirds a book too, or was that just a TV mini-series?

Here's a blockbuster with horses that a lot of people read: The Thornbirds. And it became a TV show.

I didn't read it. Any book featuring a priest in a romantic situation is not on my list. Especially one played by Richard Chamberlain, who is hugely effeminate.

Cold Mountain, Lonesome Dove, and the trilogy by Cormac McCarthy were all very good books and I really enjoyed them all, although McCarthy's were not blockbusters.

I said bread and butter to get the jinx off me from having the same thought at the same time as Moto. :eek:

Richard Chamberlain probably came out. Who knows. Whether he did or didn't, he sure wasn't very convincing as a romantic lead.

aaaaaah i see. well hope the rest of your day is jinx free then.

i'm quite sure he did come out and that his reasoning for staying silent for so long was his image as a heart throb(i think)
i've never seen or read thorn birds but i definitly think it qualifies as i would hazard most people have heard of it.
gone with the wind would be another, but most people have likely seen the movie over reading the book. i for one hated scarlett and wanted to slap her face.

best seller

Jonathon Strange and Mister Norrell by susannah clark..this is a nyt bestseller, and a reasonably well written book, as well as lots of fun, and thick as heck, which helps..i don;t know if it counts a s a blockbuster, but it is def. a bestseller, and still pretty good

http://www.booksxyz.com/profile.php?bid=882589

as for dan brown, a friend had me read "angels and demons" before all the fuss. It was the most crap-tacular book i have ever read, i think. I think i would rather read a stack of romance novels and hit myself in the head with a stick than read that juvenile, asinine tripe again.

sure, there are matters of taste, and subjectivity..dan brown is beyond the pale. dan brown is beyond the boundaries of taste, wherein we can just agree to disagree...dan brown is part of the culture war for precisely this reason. it's like jazz..if you don't know, then i can't tell you ..but trust me, the man is an idiot, his work is garbage. he is a rich idiot, and it is bestselling garbage, but garbage written by an idiot it remains. I don't care if it becomes mandatory for every person on the planet to own five copies of the damn thing, it will still be garbage. it is right up there with susanne summer's poetry and william shatner's musical career

as for if it is better to read nothing or to read brown..the mcdonalds analogy is ok, but lets take it a step further..dan brown is not even the processed meat of a mcdonalds burger, dan brown is a skein of cotton candy..it has no substance, melts on the tongue and vanishes, enough of it will give you a headache,, a little goes a long way and it is a taste most people will outgrow..if you tried to live on it, it would kill you eventually...it has no nutritional value..is it better to eat nothing or to eat cotton candy?

novella said:
In the same way that McDonald's cuts into mom-and-pop luncheonette businesses and Wal-Mart puts the Main St. five-and-dimes out of business, big publishers crowd out other publishers on bookstore shelves and in the major book reviews.

That's the perfect beauty of Amazon. They offer EVERYTHING, and smaller authors have as good a chance as blockbuster authors to have their books display in a search list when readers enter a key word. It's a fair and democratic system.

So readers benefit from Amazon Recommendations, get pointed to obscure books they'd never otherwise have found, and minor authors can be discovered and then sell thousands more books than they otherwise would.

Back