• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Native American Historical Books

Yukina W.

I am very interested in learing about different cultures but I am having a hard time finding any on Native Americans.

House made of Dawn by N.Scott Momaday

It's a bit of a classic, not sure if it would come under historical though...thats the only one i can think of at the moment, if i think of any others i'll let you know. If you are interested in learning more then I can give you tons of links and non fiction & biography titles.

Oh and you may want to look up Jim Harrison as well - I think..

Stewart said:
Do you really think you will learn about this by reading fiction?

What do you mean?

I could see books such as The Last of the Mohicans being inadequate for learning about Native culture, but would think of tons of other fiction as being fine.

I liked The Education of Little Tree by Carter, and Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko.

Native culture has a strong element of storytelling, and I think a lot of non-fiction might miss the point. I think the best book to start with if you want to learn about Christians would be the Bible, and not an essay on Christianity.

I can see Stewart's point, fiction can be a nice starting place, but to get the facts, a well written nonfiction title might be better. Having said that, I can think of a couple of fiction books that might be good:
Hanta Yo-Ruth Beebe Hill, The First North Americans series by W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear( they're archaologists and pretty good story tellers), and the Joe Leaphorn/Jim Chee novels by Tony Hillerman, are all good. I might warn you that the Hill novel has been challenged by the tribe she represented in the novel-Dakota, I believe, but I found it fascinating anyway. The O'Gears have a second series, the Anazasi Mystery series-starts with The Visitant- that is excellent..

Zeke and Ned by Larry McMurtry (Lonesome Dove) is a very good novel centered around the relationship between two Native Americans. I really enjoyed this book and would highly recommend it.

Louise Erdrich is a mixed Ojibwe woman who writes novels from a cross cultural perspective. Titles include The Bingo Palace and The Master Butchers' Singing Club. Great novels, they are, look her up for reviews.

Back