• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Need a new VAMPIRE book

I Am Legend -- Richard Matheson (the movie starring Will Smith came from this book, but the book is much, much better).
How did I overlook that one? Hell yes. Fantastic novel.

Brian Lumleys Necroscope series is one of my favorite vamp series but I kind of doubt its what your looking for. His vamps are almost all hard core evil although you do end up liking a couple of them.
I read the entire series about 15 years ago, then revisited the first book a couple of years ago... they haven't aged well. But I do like his version of the vampire myth; they're the opposite of Rice's emo ex-humans, they're OTHER. Ancient, unrepentant, and pretty much unkillable.

Hello,
I'm new here and I've been just reading around the posts. This one caught my attention because I have similar interests.

I am currently reading a book by a new author, Chronicles of the Damned. It is by R. N. Matos. I found it on Amazon.

The story takes place in Modern times but it jumps around in time to give character backgrounds and story subplot details. It's the authors first book. He admittedly claims to not read many novels and prefers history, biography and journals so there are some style issues, but I really like the book overall and look forward to the other 5 in the series.

The Marquis de Sade series by Mary Ann Mitchell has vampires living in modern society. I enjoyed them. Donatien as a bloodsucker = win.

Hmm vamps. Generally what I'd recommend:

I am Legend - Matheson (but it's more a survival horror)
Stoker's Dracula isn't bad
The Keep -F Paul Wilson - more a suspensful actioner with Nazis etc rather than vamps in modern society
Fevre Dream - GRR Martin. Vamps on a trip down the Missisipi (no i can't spell it) rather than modern day
Lumley's Necroscope or Vampire World books if you want something slightly more pulpy (or track down 'A coven of vampires' - some of the short stories do take place in the modern day). Some of the best vamp stories are in short story form though

From a TV perspective - you could have a look at the recent 'true blood'
but I'd go with the excellent 'ultraviolet (not the crap film- the TV series)' to get a glimpse of decent vampire plots. Oh there's buffy and angel but I guess they're not what you're after. Japanese anime's also obsessed with vampires if you want to look that way.

Nothing, I have to ask: was your username inspired by the character in Lost Souls?

Ha! Good question. Actually, I discovered PZB by having the username Nothing! I took Nothing from Trent Reznor's label, Nothing Records. Through speaking w/some people online many years ago, someone said to me, "Too many Lost Souls fans". I didnt know what they were talking about, but I soon found out. I dont like the direction PZB has taken lately, but her early work is great!

Reznor's label was my next guess, I swear! :lol:.

I like all of her work. Her horror novels are my favorites, yes, but her chef series is fun (if very light).

I've read a couple of the Anne Rice books but what I'd really like if any one has suggestions is a book that is based around Vampires and humans (i.e vampires living in modern society etc.) The only reason I'm not all over Anne Rice is because it's set so far back in time.

I'm not gonna argue if you don't like Anne Rice, but set back in time? All of those books are fairly modern, 80's at the earliest. They have a lot of flashback sequences explaining the histories and whatnot, but the main story is very modern. Lestat becomes a rock star, goes on a cruise in one book, meets a ghost in modern day New Orleans..

Lots of stuff happens in the relative "now."

Anyways, I like Barb & J.C. Hendee's series on Vampires, but it's medieval/fantasy, so you won't like it.

Mathius

Reznor's label was my next guess, I swear! :lol:.

I like all of her work. Her horror novels are my favorites, yes, but her chef series is fun (if very light).

I just think the newer stuff is bland compared to the unique, passionate intensity of the early work. It seems like she is really trying to distance herself from those first novels like Lost Souls & Drawing Blood. Theres an intoxicating quality to the writing then, & its missing now, IMO. What do you think?

Let The Right One In by John A Lindqvist has children as the protagonists, but it's far from a children's book. One of the best vampire novels to come out in recent years.

I havent read the book, but the movie based on this book was great.

I began reading Graham Masterton's Descendant last night and what can I say ? If it weren't for an early appointment with the doctor I would have read the whole night. Some great new twist to the strigoi mythos.

Theres an intoxicating quality to the writing then, & its missing now, IMO. What do you think?

I agree; her earlier writing was lush and at times poetic. Still, I enjoy her leaner style since it's a better fit for what she wants to do now; I can't imagine these books being written in the same manner as Lost Souls or Drawing Blood. I miss "the old Brite", yes, but I also enjoy "the new Brite". I guess it all depends on what I'm in the mood for.

I highly recommend the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. It's the book series that the HBO series True Blood is based off of. There are 8 books so far, with number 9 coming out in May, and number 10 in the works. Mrs. Harris has a great sense of humor, and uses Southern mannerisms throughout her stories (which is good for me, because I'm southern)...

The premise of the story is that vampires have finally come out of hiding, and are trying to mainstream with the rest of the world. Just read the first one, and if you don't like it...sell it on Ebay. *lol*

It doesn't center on vampires but they definitely play a part in a book I just FLEW through called City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. I also love They Thirst by Robert McCammon!

Fred Saberhagen's Dracula series is set in modern times, good, and funny. His Dracula has a wry sense of humor.

There's an old book called Vampyr, by Jan Jennings, from the 1980s that has a modern vampire society. It might have influenced White Wolf's Vampire game, though they never mentioned it. It's comparatively light in tone.

There was a horror series from back then by J.N. Williamson that started with a book called Death Coach. It gets seriously gruesome. Also set in modern times.

Back