• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Need a recommendation on a certain genre

Mile, you'd better stop, or I'll go out and buy 'The Da Vinci Code'! You've made me very curious indeed!

Cheers, Martin :D

And what is wrong with John Grisham?!

(Just thought I'd get the conversation started again!)

Isn't it obvious Martin?
He's a popular author, some one else wrote about a laywer once and his name doesn't rhyme with gecko.

(You know damn well I couldn't resist the bait)

Bill

LOL
hmm3grin2orange.gif

He's gonna bite your head off, you know!

(crawls out from under his bed)

Where did I put that white flag?

(crawls back among the dust bunnies)

You may have a long wait.

I hear he's taking a Holiday in San Fransisco.

Pass the popcorn & the ZigZags will ya?

Originally posted by Martin
And what is wrong with John Grisham?

The shots that fired the bullets that entered Pumpkin's head were heard by no less than eight people. Three instinctively closed their windows, checked their door locks, and withdrew to the safety, or at least the seclusion, of their small apartments. Two others, each with experience in such matters, ran from the vicinity as fast if not faster than the gunman himself. Another, the neighborhood recycling fanatic, was digging through some garbage in search of aluminum cans when he heard the sharp sounds of the daily skirmish, very nearby. He jumped behind a pile of cardboard boxes until the shelling stopped, then eased into the alley where he saw what was left of Pumpkin.
(from The King of Torts)

Rhoda Kassellaw lived in the Beech Hill community, twelve miles north of Clanton, in a modest gray brick house on a narrow, paved country road. The flower beds along the front of the house were weedless and received daily care, and between them and the road the long wide lawn was thick and well cut. The driveway was crushed white rock. Scattered down both sides of it was a collection of scooters and balls and bikes. Her two small children were always outdoors, playing hard, sometimes stopping to watch a passing car.
(from The Last Juror)

That first example is jarring and to much; the second sticks two fingers up at show, don't tell - it just fails to pique interest any level.

The Testament, too, ended with a horrible deus ex machina.

Of course it is: recommendations and the opposite are all subjective. Ergo what someone says is good I say is bad and vice versa.

I was asked what was wrong with John Grisham and I replied by saying that his ability to use words to show a story is poor; he can only tell a story and by doing that he reduces the need for imagination. The Testament, when I read it, really disappointed me when it got to the ending - I can't remember what it was now as it was about four years ago; I just remember that it annoyed me.

Mile-O-Phile originally posted:
I replied by saying that his ability to use words to show a story is poor
The key-word here is is. John Grisham's ability to use words to show a story isn't poor. You just think that this is the case. That doesn't make it fact. I, for one, do not agree, and therefore, in my truth this isn't the case. I'm not saying you're not entitled to your opinion, not at all. Just don't pass it on as fact.

A better response would've been:

I replied by saying that I think his ability to use words to show a story is poor.

I'm such a solipsist: from my point of view I have a binary world view - all 0s and 1s. So, from what I think then something is either right or wrong to me. And if, to me, I think something then, to me, it must be either True or False.

I understand others' opinions...

Never read any John Grisham, from what you posted above it seems to support my opinion that those with legal training probably shouldn't write fiction. But then, I don't really like mystery/thrillers, I like something with more character development than the genre generally encourages.

Rhoda Kassellaw lived in the Beech Hill community, twelve miles north of Clanton, in a modest gray brick house on a narrow, paved country road. The flower beds along the front of the house were weedless and received daily care, and between them and the road the long wide lawn was thick and well cut. The driveway was crushed white rock. Scattered down both sides of it was a collection of scooters and balls and bikes. Her two small children were always outdoors, playing hard, sometimes stopping to watch a passing car.
(from The Last Juror)

• What extra benefit do we get from knowing that Beech Hill is twelve miles north of Clanton?
  • The fact the flowers are weedless would infer that they currently receive care ergo there's no need to be explicit;
  • Is it not quite strange that the lawn should be between the front of the house and the road? No! Okay; irrelevant.
  • Maybe it's just me but "scattered down both sides of it was" - wouldn't were be the better word;

I understand that he's a popular author but his style of writing leaves nothing much for the imagination; the joy of filing in the blanks and imagining the scenes and characters is painfully extracted.

Back