• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Need a recommendation on a certain genre

I've got to wonder Mile-O , what your purpose for reading a book? Is it for pleasure? I'm sorry, I don't mean this as a character assassination but it seems to me you would be the type that critiques your partner in the middle of making love. Personally I get no joy from ripping a book apart that way. I know that a book either makes me want to turn to the next page or not and if I do it's because I enjoy it and not because I'm searching for it's faults. I'm sorry if I'm overstepping here but lighten up. Take some time to enjoy the rose for what it is. You don't have to dissect it to know that it's pleasant to the senses.
My apologies in advance if I've offended any member(s) or broken any forum rules in posting this.

Bill
PS... My thanks to Martin who took a bullet with my name on it.

Vows, I have learned, should only be made with one's final breath.

Mile-o, have you ever read Mark Twain's critique of James Feinmore Cooper? Hilarious, and your critique reminded me of it just now.

Originally posted by RaVeN
I've got to wonder Mile-O , what your purpose for reading a book? Is it for pleasure?

For pleasure, learning, and to pass time; I only read on the trains to and from work (almost 3 hours a day).

it seems to me you would be the type that critiques your partner in the middle of making love.

I would never say anything bad about my hand. :D

I know that a book either makes me want to turn to the next page or not and if I do it's because I enjoy it and not because I'm searching for it's faults.

I never go looking for faults but if the writing isn't up to scratch then it's not going to seem fun to me as the reader especially when I'm being told irrelevancies.

I'm sorry if I'm overstepping here but lighten up.

I enjoy a laugh. Obviously in a different way...

Take some time to enjoy the rose for what it is. You don't have to dissect it to know that it's pleasant to the senses.

The thorn isn't ;)

Please though, if I say something against authors you enjoy and/or respect, don't take it to heart as it's not you where my gripe lies. Unless, of course, you are John Grisham hiding behind the nom de plume of RaVeN. :p

Originally posted by Ashlea
Mile-o, have you ever read Mark Twain's critique of James Feinmore Cooper? Hilarious, and your critique reminded me of it just now.

No. I'll take note of it however and look it up as time permits. Thanks.

All of your points were well taken Mile-O and I appreciate that you took my comments in the manner that I meant them... no hard feelings.
I look forward to disagreeing with you in the future. (chuckle)

Bill

FYI, John Grisham is a rather well known author, quite a lot of people religiously buy and read his books, so many, many people disagree with you.

Milo - O - Phile originally posted:
What extra benefit do we get from . . .
. . . there's no need to be explicit.
No! Okay; irrelevant.
Talking about irrelevancies, have you read Tolkien's 'The Lord Of The Rings'? The level of detail in that book is amazing, especially when it concerns environments and/or people. I assume you hate Tolkien for that too?

Milo - O - Phile originally posted:
Maybe it's just me but "scattered down both sides of it was a collection of scooters and balls and bikes" - wouldn't "were" be the better word
No, "collections" is singular, "were" is plural.

Cheers, Martin :D

Originally posted by Martin
Talking about irrelevancies, have you read Tolkien's 'The Lord Of The Rings'? The level of detail in that book is amazing, especially when it concerns environments and/or people. I assume you hate Tolkien for that too?

I don't hate Tolkien; I have a copy of The Lord of the Rings. I tried reading those books and my mind drifted off elsewhere one chapter from the end of The Fellowship of the Ring. One day I suspect I'll try again. I struggle with that sort of fantasy.

Back