• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

need help...

angerball said:
find a Dan Brown forum on the net, where they are always discussing his books

I've already listed one but he seems too lazy (os stupid!) to go and look there.

angerball said:
find a Dan Brown forum on the net, where they are always discussing his books - you should be able to get your answers there.
Seems like this thread is going nowhere, we've answered his/her question numerous times.
Bookie give it a rest !!

Never even occurred to me that there would be a dedicated Dan Brown forum. As pessimistic as I am I still try to believe that some things do not exist. :(

Believe it or not, there's quite a number of them: some praising him, others working as communities to discredit him, etc.

Stewart said:
Believe it or not, there's quite a number of them: some praising him, others working as communities to discredit him, etc.

Well at least there are some fighting the good fight.

Isabell said:
Hey Stewert, Doesn't this guy here seem similar to our ignorant friend in the cult forum? Typing with his text messaging abbreviations?
http://www.cultofdanbrown.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2453/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/2/vc/1
Given that Bookie is probably done here, I'm deviating to Isabell's link.

I can't believe admin. would consider banning someone over text message speak. It seems a little harsh. Despite the fact that I find text speach heinous to read and incredibly pointless outside of a media format where one must limit the number of characters, I don't think one should be banned for it.

I also don't like how new members on that forum are listed as 'Strangers' under their web name. Very unwelcoming.

Kookamoor said:
Given that Bookie is probably done here, I'm deviating to Isabell's link.

I can't believe admin. would consider banning someone over text message speak. It seems a little harsh. Despite the fact that I find text speach heinous to read and incredibly pointless outside of a media format where one must limit the number of characters, I don't think one should be banned for it.

I also don't like how new members on that forum are listed as 'Strangers' under their web name. Very unwelcoming.

I thought so too....I logged in there to see if there was anything entertaining, and I haven't found it yet.....not entertaining, not educational....nothing. I'm not a huge Dan Brown Fan, I read his 2 books, enjoyed them and Ihave moved on to bigger and better things.

Ok, Going back the the original poster of this thread.......As I understand it, He hasn't read the books in question. I simply don't understand why he doesn't just read the freakin books. AND!!!! Why the hell are schools teaching Dan Brown???? Whatever happened to "A Tale of Two Cities"? Shakespeare??? What the hell is going on in this world???

Isabell said:
Why the hell are schools teaching Dan Brown???? Whatever happened to "A Tale of Two Cities"? Shakespeare??? What the hell is going on in this world???

Yeah. This is horrifying. I'm gonna take a leap of faith and hope it's for a Pop Culture type English class or some sort of derivative of English. Scary. Sad. A little icky too.

Isabell said:
Why the hell are schools teaching Dan Brown???? Whatever happened to "A Tale of Two Cities"? Shakespeare??? What the hell is going on in this world???

Well, in a way, it probably encourages more students to get into reading. I know when I was in high school, and had to study Shakespeare, I hated it. It did absolutely nothing for me. I think I would have preferred Dan Brown to Shakespeare. :eek:

angerball said:
Well, in a way, it probably encourages more students to get into reading. I know when I was in high school, and had to study Shakespeare, I hated it. It did absolutely nothing for me. I think I would have preferred Dan Brown to Shakespeare. :eek:

Ok, I see your valid point. BUT there are so many better books other there in regards to pop culture then Dan Brown. Certainly better and less controversial, I would like to hope.
When I was in School we read Tale of Two Cities, and I loved it. Back then it was long, but as much as I struggled through it, I really enjoyed it in the end.

I agree that Shakespeare is not good HS material. Too difficult for most at that age level. Personally I think it's a great idea to use modern literature that teens see near the front of the book stores but not Brown! What's wrong with Life of Pi? Oh yeah, religious. That'll get someone's God in a knot. There's still Atwood, Mistry, MacDonald, Haddon, Rushdie...but hey, Dan Brown...

ions said:
There's still Atwood, Mistry, MacDonald, Haddon, Rushdie...but hey, Dan Brown...

Yus, I would have loved to have read Atwood in high school. She's probably at a good level for high school students, with more "meat" to her work, than Dan Brown. Brown is simply a story-teller, whereas Atwood has a definate style to her writing, while still managing to tell an engaging story. The difference between literature, and non-literature I guess. There would be way more to analyse in Atwood, as far as writing style is concerned. :)

MonkeyCatcher said:
Oh a Dan Brown /professional/. Well why didn't you ask straight away? I've done a BA in Dan Brown, but I'm really hoping to get a Masters degree.. it's my life's dream.

Cant' go wrong asking Monkey. Her paper: Postmodern themes and Oedipal urges in The Da Vinci Code is an excellent read. :)

angerball, Atwood is, or was when I went to school, a staple of Canadian english classrooms. The Handmaids Tale was the book we studied in Grade 10 or 11. We also studied Maraget Laurence and Robertson Davies. I seem to remember Grade 11 English being focused on Canadian literature with a few weeks looking at Macbeth to cover Shakespeare requirements.

I was a little shocked to see that they were studying Dan Brown also. Surely the people teaching others about how to write should realise the poor writing style of the books? I think Atwood would be a great choice for a HS study. I read The Handmaid's Tale when I was about 15 after a recommendation from my English teacher, and I think that most mature HS students should be able to cope with the content.
SFG75 said:
Cant' go wrong asking Monkey. Her paper: Postmodern themes and Oedipal urges in The Da Vinci Code is an excellent read. :)
Lol :D

Sometimes I think you guys come down a little too hard on people asking questions, but Bookie deserves every bit of negativity he/she has received and then some.

And that shorthand internet speak needs to die a quick death.

:D

MonkeyCatcher said:
Surely the people teaching others about how to write should realise the poor writing style of the books?

I met an AP English teacher (teaches High School seniors on the "college" level) who told me all about what a great book it was. He told me it was well written and well researched and that the only reason he didn't teach it in class was the "religious content". I proceded to rip into him and told him he might as well be teaching Jude Deveraux.

but the "Religious" content in The Da Vinci Code does nothing to evangelize people. It's just part of the plot. As a Catholic, I see nothing "religious" about it. (Am I explaining this right? I mean, there is nothing about it to jump the boundries from teaching it in schools....not that this would be a book worthy enough)

Isabell said:
but the "Religious" content in The Da Vinci Code does nothing to evangelize people. It's just part of the plot. As a Catholic, I see nothing "religious" about it.

You're right. I didn't bother to get into that with him. I figured it better not to encourage him.

Back