• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Neil Gaiman: The Sandman

bobbyburns

I'm on the second graphic novel ... and I just gotta say, neil gaiman is the end of all awesome.

there, I said it. I feel better now.

Ah another reader.

Within the 'construct' of sandman, everone likes different stories. What's you favourite story within the 2 trades you've read so far?

I read the sandman when it was in it's monthly comic format :) Fantastic stuff!!! :)

Enjoy :)

Regards
SillyWabbit

I have loved Gaiman's novels something crazy, and want to read Sandman but have found the investment a little steep. Must find someone obsessive to borrow them from . . .

try your public library (some stock graphic novels, some don't)

I'm still of the opinion that Sandman surpasses Gaiman's novels

Originally posted by fluffy bunny
try your public library (some stock graphic novels, some don't)

I'm still of the opinion that Sandman surpasses Gaiman's novels

Yeah, I would agree with you on that. To me, it feels like he is still not quite comfortable with writing a novel. I guess as he writes more in the medium of the novel , this will change.

Regards
SillyWabbit

Glad to see you enjoying it. I've read the whole lot, and the collection looks mighty fine all lined up on my shelf :) . Also try Lucifer by Mike Carey. Another top notch title.

SillyWabbit said:
Yeah, I would agree with you on that. To me, it feels like he is still not quite comfortable with writing a novel. I guess as he writes more in the medium of the novel , this will change.

I don't know. He's definitely good with comics, but I kinda like his novels as well. (Though it did bother me a bit that he tried to put too many references in American Gods: whereas this approach worked for Sandman, it's a bit too much for a novel I think.)

I've got volumes 5, 6, & 7 in my pile right now. I can hardly wait to get down to them. I can read one volume in an evening if things go my way. I never thouight I'd like graphic novels, but this series is really well done and not cartoonish at all.

lies said:
I don't know. He's definitely good with comics, but I kinda like his novels as well. (Though it did bother me a bit that he tried to put too many references in American Gods: whereas this approach worked for Sandman, it's a bit too much for a novel I think.)
I like his novels as well. Actually, I think he's better with novels. I actually thought he did a good job with American Gods. Except it did feel rehashed, but that's because I was already familiar with his god mythos.

However, I distinctly remember feeling that Neverwhere would have been perfect as a graphic novel. :)

bobbyburns said:
I'm on the second graphic novel ... and I just gotta say, neil gaiman is the end of all awesome.
Wait till you get to the later parts. It's blow your socks off.

ds

direstraits said:
I like his novels as well. Actually, I think he's better with novels. I actually thought he did a good job with American Gods. Except it did feel rehashed, but that's because I was already familiar with his god mythos.

I actually feel that he is not quite yet comfortable with the novel medium. American Gods, fantastic though it was, still felt like an elaborate script for a graphic novel in it's style and most especially in it's structure. It was a greater, better formed, and more mature work than his other stuff but it still felt as if he is just not quite used to the novel medium. As you mentioned, he is rehashing the god myths stuff. I think it's an indication that he is still not quite comfortable striking out into unfamiliar territory.

Wait till you get to the later parts. It's blow your socks off.
ds

Hell yes! :)

"...and then, and then he goes down to hell to recover his stuff, right? ... and he has to have this verbal duel with the demon that has his stuff to win it back, right? ... and so they start duelling in words and the demon keeps on getting one up on him and just when it seems as if Morpheus can't win and you're holding your breathe because you can't watch, Morpheus utters calmly: 'Hope' and he wins! Now, How. Cool. Is. That."

I'm glad I didn't start reading the series when it was in its monthly issue form. I would have been in TOTAL anguish... I remember stealing into my brother's room and "borrowing" his copies without his knowledge (he wouldn't lend them to me coz he paid a fortune for them). And I was only found out because the family hadn't seen me for a couple of days and a ... smell ... had started drifting through the house. A smell that seemed to be coming from my room....

The first book I ever read of Gaiman was Neverwhere. I wasn't impressed that thought that he should have stuck to graphic novels. But American Gods redeemed him in my eyes. Although I have to admit, his young adult books are quite cool too, but better if they are illustrated. Read Coraline with and without illustration and the former totally rocked.

Hey Wabbit...!

SillyWabbit said:
...As you mentioned, he is rehashing the god myths stuff. I think it's an indication that he is still not quite comfortable striking out into unfamiliar territory.
But he did venture into unfamiliar territory before he embarked on AG i.e. Neverwhere (which had no shared references to Sandman that I can think of). I haven't read Stardust, though, so I don't know if the same fairy characters in Sandman made their appearance.

I'd like to think that his Sandman universe is his ready source of inspiration where he can take disparate parts within it and tell completely different stories with each (i.e. fairies - Stardust, gods - AG).

ds

Oh! The Sandman is just a wonderful series with really fantastic artists that really know how to compliment Neil Gaiman's writing. I was lucky enough to be able to read all of them one right after the other because of a friend. I'm currently in the process of buying them for myself (which will take awhile because it's sooo pricey!)

I recently finished Hy Bender's "The Sandman Companion". It amazing! There are so many great interviews with Gaiman and the artists that collaborated with him. I highly recommend this after you've read all the novels.

I read the series 5 years ago when I was 17, and now I see it in a totally different light. I would love to talk more about it but I'm so afraid of spoiling it.

Oh yes, my favourite one is "A Game of You". I know it isn't a favourite of most fans, but I particularly enjoyed the fairy tale quality of it.

Libra6Poe said:
I recently finished Hy Bender's "The Sandman Companion". It amazing! There are so many great interviews with Gaiman and the artists that collaborated with him. I highly recommend this after you've read all the novels.
I bought that, but it's been lying there unread for years now.

SillyWabbit said:

Regards
SillyWabbit

Yep i agree on that. The only Gaiman novel i read so far is American Gods that continued the theme from the sandman so i might have got the wrong impression but it felt like a script for a sandman comic. He will probably improve, but maybe his writing style is better suited for comics.

direstraits said:

I read Amercian Gods before i read any of the sandman series. I've got Sandman Endless Nights now (in hardback - absolutely beautiful) and I really liked that but I think I'll have to read alot more before I can compare the writing to American Gods which I really got into.

there are also so many in the sandman series i don't really know where to start. any ideas anyone? :confused:

Start from the beginning and read Preludes and Nocturnes. Its not always so easy to see, but most of the sandman stories are connected and so it helps to read it from the beginning.

If you want to skip right to the best books i would recommend Brief lives or Season of Mists.

Back