• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Neil Gaiman

I just started American Gods today. I hope it's worth all the hype. I read Stardust a few months ago, and it was pretty good, but it didn't particularly stand out to me.

I noticed the other day that my library had many of his graphic novels. I'm going to find out what order they were written in and try to read the first one. It sounds like something I'd like, although I read just about anything!LOL

YES! Do it, see if you can get Sandman. It's really wonderful :) If you do, let me know how you liked it please :)

Good! :) I think you will like it lots. The story is wonderful. It's dark and magical and beautiful, as is the art!

I hear that you really need to read the Sandman ones in order tho, so if your library doesn't have a complete set you may get a wee bit frustrated. I've been meaning to read them for awhile, but have been putting it off as am afraid that I'll want to buy them all.

Sorry to wander off topic for a short, but cajunmama, I noticed what you are currently reading. I read Jennifer Niven's Ice Master a while back and almost picked up Ada Blackjack a few months ago. Are you finding it interesting so far?

RaVeN

RaVeN said:
Sorry to wander off topic for a short, but cajunmama, I noticed what you are currently reading. I read Jennifer Niven's Ice Master a while back and almost picked up Ada Blackjack a few months ago. Are you finding it interesting so far?

RaVeN

It's pretty good so far. I haven't had much time to read it this week but hopefully this weekend will be different. I want to read Ice Master, too. How did you like that one?

cajunmama said:
I want to read Ice Master, too. How did you like that one?

I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's amazing what limits the human spirit can be pushed to and still endure.

I might go back and pick up Ada Blackjack. Thanks!

RaVeN

Ashlea said:
I hear that you really need to read the Sandman ones in order tho, so if your library doesn't have a complete set you may get a wee bit frustrated. I've been meaning to read them for awhile, but have been putting it off as am afraid that I'll want to buy them all.
Well, if you want to read one, and cannot get the whole set (or the first volume, actually), I'd recommend that you read Volume 4 Seasons of Mist. The first volume's quality is nowhere compared to the latter volumes, but the earlier volumes are important, IMHO, to understand the last volumes.

This may be more information that you'd want to know :D, but there are 3 volumes of Sandman that are collections of individually contained stories, namely Volume 3 Dream Country, Volume 6 Fables and Reflections, and Volume 8 World's End. Some of these stories can be read by themselves, others *could be* confusing without the proper context.

ds

Good to know, thanks! I will get to Sandman someday. I still haven't picked up his short story collection either.

Okay, just finished Preludes & Nocturnes. This is Volume 1 in the Sandman Library. To be honest, at first I didn't like it. It really isn't like anything I've read before. But, I have to practice what I preach (to my kids, try new things), so I read it through. Now I can hardly wait to get back to the library to get some more volumes! My husband will think I am totally nuts for reading it (to him any non-religious writing is trash), so I'll just have to keep them in my book bag. :D

RaVen-- I finished Ada Blackjack, too. About half of the book is about the expedition itself and the other half is the aftermath.

I understand absolutely nothing of the entire Sandman stuff. Can someone give me a comprehensive chronology?

Cheers

cajunmama said:
Okay, just finished Preludes & Nocturnes. This is Volume 1 in the Sandman Library. To be honest, at first I didn't like it. It really isn't like anything I've read before.
To be honest, the first volume is the weakest in the whole library, in my humble opinion. This is why I posted the my last post here in this thread, because I was afraid the first volume will put people off. Wait till you get to the latter volumes. :)

Once you get to know the characters, then things start to get interesting.

Martin - the entire Sandman run is collected 10 comics trade paperbacks (the comics themselves were first published in the very late eighties to mid-nineties). Each volume is numbered chronologically. There are also the following, in addition to the 10 volumes:

1. The Sandman Companion - Hy Bender (collection of annotations on the entire Sandman run - not done by Neil Gaiman, but published by DC Comics as well)
2. Endless Nights - Neil Gaiman (unofficially Sandman Volume 11, individual stories featuring each sibling in Sandman's family. This was released only a last year!)
3. The Collected Covers of Sandman (collects all the cover art for every Sandman comic issue. Includes a Sandman story.).
4. The Sandman: Dream Hunters - Neil Gaiman (drawn by a japanese artist by Yoshitaka Amano, a Sandman story in the form of a fable. Beautiful book.)

The first 3 should be read after you're sufficiently familiar with Sandman. The 4th is a standalone book.

Neil Gaiman also wrote two stories on Sandman's sister, Death (the Sandman himself is actually called Dream, among many other names). They are:
5. Death: The High Cost of Living
6. Death: The Time of Your Life

These 2 can be read on their own. The first has won awards, apparently.

I don't know if this is the chronology you're expecting Martin. :eek:

ds

direstraits said:
4. The Sandman: Dream Hunters - Neil Gaiman (drawn by a japanese artist by Yoshitaka Amano, a Sandman story in the form of a fable. Beautiful book.)
Is it worth buying then? I always kinda ignored it when I went to the shops, but maybe I should give it a go?

lies...

It's not a comic book as you and I are used to. The story is in prose, with words on the left page, and the right is a full page illustration by Amano. It's a short story, but quite satisfying. If you like Gaiman, you'd probably enjoy it. If you buy and don't like it, you won't come look for me and kill me right? :D

ds

ps. "Currently Reading: The Book Forum". Nice. :) :)

Oh wait - I just realized you had Eblis O'Shaughnessy in your sig. The chances of you liking Dream Hunters just went up a notch or two. :)

ds

Yeah, I'm a bit of a fan. The gold on the Dream Hunters cover just scared me off a bit, hehe.

I promise I won't hunt you down by the way. I'm way to lazy for that! ;)

cajunmama said:
Okay, just finished Preludes & Nocturnes. This is Volume 1 in the Sandman Library. To be honest, at first I didn't like it. It really isn't like anything I've read before. But, I have to practice what I preach (to my kids, try new things), so I read it through. Now I can hardly wait to get back to the library to get some more volumes! My husband will think I am totally nuts for reading it (to him any non-religious writing is trash), so I'll just have to keep them in my book bag. :D

Glad you enjoyed it! it only gets better! :)

Back