• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

New Authors to try

Fungus Amongus

Can anybody suggest some new authors for me to try. I have read almost all of Raymond Feist's books and loved them. I'ved read the Philip Pullman series and didn't really see what the fuss was about. I've also tried Terry brooks, this got a bit repetitive and finally gave up after reading too many of the books.

Thanks,

Redemption by Jason Duke. A new author who writes along the same lines as Stephen King. I enjoyed it. It's available through Amazon.

this got a bit repetitive and finally gave up after reading too many...
Yes, repetitive. Try out a different genre to get out of the monotony of fantasy/fiction. Won't you try any of Malcolm Gladwell's books. :flowers:
I used to read fictions only, mainly sci-fi & fantasy. Then tried out other stuff. It turned out pretty good.

Check out Joe Abercrombie for a fresh take on fantasy genre. Also check out Rivers of London by Ben Aarnovich (U.S. title is Midnight Riot I believe).

I've just finished reading Steven Erikson's Gardens of the Moon. I can't believe that i even managed to finish the entire book. Confusing would be a understatement, just plain over thought with far too much back story unexplained or poorly described.I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anybody.

The second book i've started reading is The Name of the Wind, written by Patrick Rothfuss, and is certainly a more enjoyable read as well as being told in a unique perspective.

I've just finished reading Steven Erikson's Gardens of the Moon. I can't believe that i even managed to finish the entire book. Confusing would be a understatement, just plain over thought with far too much back story unexplained or poorly described.I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anybody.

The second book i've started reading is The Name of the Wind, written by Patrick Rothfuss, and is certainly a more enjoyable read as well as being told in a unique perspective.

I actually like it. It's got a lot of interesting characters and yes it was confusing but once you figure out what's going on, it's really neat.

I actually like it. It's got a lot of interesting characters and yes it was confusing but once you figure out what's going on, it's really neat.

I loved Gardens of the Moon. I found it to be such a rich book, with tons going on - possibly more going on in that in any other fantasy book series I've read actually. I liked that it was at once high fantasy, but also gritty and rough.

However, I started reading the second book in the series - Deadhouse Gates - and didn't get more than a third of the way through before I stopped. I found the writing to be really sloppy in places, characters in some areas well developed but in others not at all so, and it just felt like it was all over the place sometimes. I've been meaning to pick this up again and give it a second chance, as the series as a whole is supposed to be something really special. I may do so over the summer again.

I loved Gardens of the Moon. I found it to be such a rich book, with tons going on - possibly more going on in that in any other fantasy book series I've read actually. I liked that it was at once high fantasy, but also gritty and rough.

However, I started reading the second book in the series - Deadhouse Gates - and didn't get more than a third of the way through before I stopped. I found the writing to be really sloppy in places, characters in some areas well developed but in others not at all so, and it just felt like it was all over the place sometimes. I've been meaning to pick this up again and give it a second chance, as the series as a whole is supposed to be something really special. I may do so over the summer again.

It's funny because I started the second one and got about 100 pages in and thought to myself that the book feels different than the first one. I will eventually start this again.

It's funny because I started the second one and got about 100 pages in and thought to myself that the book feels different than the first one. I will eventually start this again.

I was chatting to someone about this over the weekend, funnily enough. They told me that the second book is something of an uphill battle and very different to the first, but that to stick with it is to be rewarded in later books.

I am really keen to start it again now. Maybe a visit to a few sites to revisit what happened in the first book once more will be necessary though, as it's not exactly forgiving with simple plot lines :whistling:

Stick with the Erikson folks. I'm up to vol 8. It's brain-breaking stuff at times but like nothing else I've ever read.

Fungus, give George R R Martin a try, he's redefined Epic Fantasy. Also early David Eddings, the 'Pawn of Prophecy' series,written before he went all Disney

I started the second book again - and it fell apart on me (literally)! d'Oh. It's all there but just not really readable without fiddling about. Just my luck. Will be getting a Kindle soon I think, so will order it on that and read again...

F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack series. He's about 14 or 15 books in now. For the past month I've been blasting through these books, and they ROCK! Good, fun, adventure books with a great supernatural backdrop.

I read the first Repairman Jack books one after the other, just couldn't stop:innocent:. Now I'm slowing down cause there are so few left :sad:
Try Codex Alera, by Jim Butcher, I found them awesome. Each better than the previous one, amazing plot, wonderful characters, real one: they grow, they change, they make mistakes and try to sort their mess up, and funny too. and meanwhile it makes you think and reflect. really excellent.
I am also loving the Demon Cycle by Peter V. Brett

I newly discovered Jack Kilborn, I read his book Afraid, it was very good, never once got slow or boring

Back