• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

New Books

Wabbit

Hello from Wabbit Land.

I was wondering, what new books have you all brought recently?

I got some new books today! I visited a book shop that has second hand books for sale. £1 a book or £2 if you buy three books. Good, huh? :) So, well, they are not really NEW I guess but I haven't read them before. ahem... anyway.

I got:

Sign For The Sacred by Storm Constantine ( started this today )

The Wasp Factory by Ian ( no M ) Banks ( always good )

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold - ( was this not mentioned in a thread sometime recently??? )

The House of The Spirits by Isabel Allende ( I went OH WOW when I saw this coz I was going to order it from Amazon for about £7 )

Bounce, bounce, bounce bounce, new books!!! :D

So what did you all buy? :)

Regards
SillyWabbit

I recently bought The Sword of Shannara as I have never read it. I also got (and already read) the sequel to Hyperion by Dan Simmons, very good stuff, I need to investigate Keats more and then re-read.
I got the latest from Christina Dodd, my fave romance novelist, and 2 by an author I'd never heard of, Rebecca Lickiss. They sounded interesting, modern retellings of fairy tales.
And I got Good Omens, so I'll be ready when it's book of the month. :p

I have sooooooo many to read right now, I can't buy anymore at all. But it's almost March, and I don't have the bookof the month for March, so surely THAT's allowable, right?

I bought 13 hardbacks this week, my lucky #. Many of them were discussed on the forum & sounded good. They are :

The Tomb, Conspiracies, The Haunted Air, All The Rage & Hosts..all by F.Paul Wilson
Final Seance by Massimo Polidoro - it's about the relationship between Houdini & A.C.Doyle
Oliver Twist by Dickens
Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen
Hunting Badger by Tony Hillerman
The Codex by Douglas Preston
Reliquary by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child
Wildfire by Ken Goddard
Star of the Sea by Joseph O'Connor

That should keep me busy for a few days!
Bill

Mmmmmm, new books!!

In the last week or so -

The King of Torts - John Grisham
Perdido Street Station - China Mieville
Lost in a Good Book - Jasper Fforde
The Shopaholic Series - Cant remember, fluff for my fiancee :)
Spellbound - Jane someone, same as above :p

Phil

Phil-t, It is Jane Green, I think, I can't blame you that you pick your fiancee, you may read this book.

Last week, I bought-
The Curious Dog of the Incident in the Night-time by Mark Haddon (It is really good)
Star of the Sea by Joseph O'Connor
The Photograph by Penelope Lively
The No.1 Detective ..... by Alexander Smith Mcall

Originally posted by RaVeN

Final Seance by Massimo Polidoro - it's about the relationship between Houdini & A.C.Doyle

Bill

Sounds really interesting. I've always been fascinated by that side of Doyle, it doesn't match up well with the Sherlock Holmes side to the modern mind, tho I'm sure the Victorians wouldn't have that thought at all.

Hey Kaz, I've heard a lot of good things about The Curious Dog and reading your statement makes me want to add that to my pick up list. As for Star of the Sea, I just got that myself and picked it up a few days ago to read but selected a different book to start instead. I'd like to hear your thoughts on it if you get to it before I do.

Aslea, I agree with your remarks. Some time or another I plan on doing more reading about Doyle's Fairies scandal. The backlash must have been devastating. That aside, his Holmes stories enrapture me with an atmosphere like no other. Whenever looking for a "comfort" book, he's my man.

Bill

Originally posted by RaVeN

Aslea, I agree with your remarks. Some time or another I plan on doing more reading about Doyle's Fairies scandal. The backlash must have been devastating. That aside, his Holmes stories enrapture me with an atmosphere like no other. Whenever looking for a "comfort" book, he's my man.

Bill

Hi.

I keep thinking about trying the Holmes books. Normally I am not a fan of the detective genre but I DO like the hard boiled PI kind of stories.

I recently read an extract of a Holmes novel and I was engrossed with it. This made me want to try it. I have liked the old black and white movies too lol

What Holmes book do you suggest I read first? Should they be read in order?

Regards

Dear Wabbit,
The fact that you enjoyed the old Rathbone movies is a plus and should put you in the right frame of mind. (check out the Jeremy Brett adaptation as well if you haven't all ready) By no means must you read his works in order. There are 4 novels and 56 short stories in the canon and I would suggest reading 1 of the short stories first to see if you like it's flavor. That said, if I had it to do all over again I would have read them in order starting with The Gloria Scott, The Musgrave Ritual & A Study in Scarlet. If you aren't hooked after that, chances are you never will be.

Thanks & hope you enjoy them a fraction of what I have.
Bill

PS...Please LMK when you've completed The Lovely Bones. I read it a few months ago and would enjoy hearing your views.

Just finished A Study in Scarlet, it's where Holmes and Watson meet so it's the place to start. As Bill suggested, a quick short story first may help you decide if you like them enough to read all of them. They are very quick reads, all pretty short.

"The Star of the Sea" seems a popular choice. It is being well-promoted on internet bookstores. Has anyone read it yet? Does it live up to the hype?

I bought The Star of the Sea after reading the inside dust jacket and it sounded good. I asked the book store owner if she'd heard anything about it and she had not. It wasn't until taking it home that I too read good reactions about it. I hope to find out soon if it's as good as they say.

Bill

Raven,
I will let you know when I finished 'Star of the Sea'. Recently It live up to the hype here due tv programme to said this book recomened. That's why I went to buy it.

OK, thanks for the recommendations and information on Holmes :)

I think I will jump in feet first with "A study in scarlet." What about "hound of the baskervilles?" That is a short story, I assume?

Best Regards
Sillywabbit

The Hound is the 3rd of his 4 Holmes novels but is somewhere in the neighborhood of 175 pages & 15 chapters in length so it's not too long. Many consider it his best Holmes work & certainly the best of the novels. A classic if there ever was one!

Bill

I was lucky to stumble onto a used books sale, I've gotten:

Welcome to the World, Baby Girl
Genesis Wave I
The Eyre Affair
An old Far Side compilation
Sir Apropos of Nothing

Engine Summer - John Crowley
Savage Tomorrow - Trevor Donohue
Marathon - D. Alexander Smith
The Khyber Connection - Book 6: Timewars
The Reluctant Swordsman - Book 1: The Seventh Sword
Voyage of the Planet Slayer- Jefferson Swycaffer
Panic 7 - Eugene Carl Shaffer
Circuit - Melinda M Snodgrass

All bought from ebay on 3 auctons from 1 seller. Aus$15 including post.

I'll hopefully enjoy a few of them,

Yay, yay, going shopping to-day!!!

Somewhere with TWOOOOO Waterstones & a WHSmiths!!!

Must .... buy ...... booooooks!!

:D

Phil

went to buy The HItchhikers Guide yesterday .. havent read it yet and desperately want to.. but all the bookstores here sell only the entire series together and not just the first book!
i guess ill have to buy a pirated version

Back