• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

New Fantasy Author

Skywalker725

Hi all,
My name is Jenelle Schmidt and I've just had my first fantasy book published. It's the first of a trilogy and is called The Dragon's Eye. It is an adventure tale for all ages.

A brief summary: the story is about a Princess, her maid, and a squire who must go on a quest to find a man who was once the King's Champion and ask him if he will once again help defend their kingdom. Along the way they meet up with wizardesses, dragons, and discover more about themselves than they ever dreamed possible. Their quest is fraught with danger, but if they can succeed, they will join two worlds together.

If you like heroes, noble characters, and daring adventure, please check out my book! You can find it at *******

I don't think the poster really had any interest in sharing and discussing writing. Spam is not welcome :p

An Exerpt

Sorry it's been forever, no internet and no time and I forgot my password (I can usually find my way around a computer but yeah). No one seemed interested, and several people were a bit cruel right at first so I got a little bitter about forums too. I wasn't really trying to spam, I promise, I just got really excited when my book got published :p and I couldn't help trying to tell everyone. I've calmed down since this spring :rolleyes: oh well.

Anyway, since you asked for an exerpt... and not that you'll probably come looking back at this post anyway, but hopefully, if by some random chance you do see it, this will help you think better of me. This is actually an exerpt from the book I'm currently working on: which has no title as of yet, (not even a working one :eek: ) but it's more in the sci-fi vein. It takes place some 7,000 years in the future. Possibly our own galaxy, though not stated (i.e. I haven't decided yet). Thoughts are welcome. I can't say when I'll be back on here again, but yea - have fun. (P.S. I've had to put it into two posts... so read this one first)

Chapter III – Ghardyen System (pronounced "guardian")
L.E. (liberated era) 174 (some 7,000 years in the future)
Gregoire punched in the hangar bay numbers for the Star-Grade prisoner transport that had just arrived. Then he leaned back wearily. He sighed as he flopped his leg over the threadbare arm of the worn-out chair that he was sitting in. The chair was uncomfortable, mostly because it was too big for him. He was small for his age and his feet did not quite reach the floor yet when he sat in this chair. That was one of the things that made this post his least favorite of the day, even if it did mean that he got to play with the computer. He was tired; tired of the orders, tired of the threats, tired of the routine, and just tired of everything in general about this foul planet that he had been forced to grow up on. He was the sort of boy who liked to laugh, but there was precious little to laugh about on Kalublai. Heaving another great sigh, Gregoire swung his leg down and slipped out of the chair, deciding that he did not want to be yelled at by his guardian for being late to his next post. He wondered fleetingly about the prisoner transport that he had just directed to bay R-17, but decided that he would find out all he wanted to know soon enough: it was his night to feed that particular wing of cells. He was excited about that, prisoners liked talking to him, and Gregoire hungered for the tales that they had to tell.
He padded softly down the hall to the kitchen. It was dinner time for the guardians, and it was Gregoire’s turn to serve them this week. He had to feed them first. Then he and the other boys would take food to the prisoners. Then, and only then, would he be allowed to eat, and only if he finished before the other boys who lived and worked on the prison base. The last boy done always went hungry. After dinner the boys were allowed an hour or two of free-time, it was then that Gregoire would creep back to talk with the prisoners; begging them to tell him their stories, feeding his hunger for news of the outside world that he had never seen.
Gregoire had been born on Kalublai, the largest prison in the galaxy, and the most feared. It was to this prison-planet that Nefario sent his most dangerous enemies. His mother had been a prisoner on Kalublai and she had given birth to him while in prison. When she died, Gregoire had been taken in by the guardians. They had raised him along with other children that had similar backgrounds to himself. There was little affection shown to these children, and many of them died before they reached their tenth birthday. But Gregoire had proven to be a survivor. He worked hard and he remained cheerful even in the gloom of the prison corridors of Kalublai. He did his chores well, and he proved to be something of a genius when it came to gadgets and computer technology. This made him something of a favorite among the guardians, who were able to trust him with some of the more technical and difficult jobs. The more they gave him, the more he learned, and he soon discovered that no door was ever completely closed to him. To pass the time and break up the monotony, Gregoire began to play at code-breaking. He soon had full-access to the mainframe of the entire Kalublai prison system. He used his access to learn about the world outside. He soon knew all about the Challenge and their fight against Nefario. In his heart, he began to root for their cause. It did not trouble him that he had been raised by the guardians, nor by the fact that he had worked all his life for Nefario in his largest prison. He bore no great love towards the people who had raised him, or for the other cell-children that he worked and lived with. Gregoire was content in the knowledge that his mother had opposed Nefario and therefore so would he.
“There you are boy,” one of the guardians stopped him in the hall, “make sure you wash your hands before you bring us dinner, the last cell-boy didn’t and I don’t like grime in my food.”
“Yes sir,” Gregoire said respectfully. The guardians were always gruff, but they were not to be feared. Gregoire knew that they were not unkind. Sometimes he thought that the grayness of the prison-planet had seeped into everyone who lived there, causing them to forget how to smile. Not for the first time, Gregoire thought longingly of the outside world. Surely somewhere in the universe there was color, surely somewhere there was laughter and comraderie and fun; it was all out there somewhere, and someday he was going to go find it.

Part Two (continuining other post)

“Hurry along now, boy, don’t just stand there!”
“Yes sir,” Gregoire shook away his thoughts, there would be time enough to think later. He hurried on his way to the kitchen.
The kitchen was the most pleasant place in the entire Kalublai system, or at least, Gregoire believed it to be. While it was still as colorless and austere as the rest of his home, it was the only place where smiles were seen and laughter was heard; not often, but it did happen every now and then. Gregoire had grown up in very solitary circumstances. The other cell-children did not laugh or joke; in fact they hardly even talked. They were a quiet lot, and they kept to themselves. Friendships rarely sprang up among the children, partially because of the way they were raised, and partially because many of them felt a certain amount of shame about the fact that they had been born inside a prison. In the kitchen, however austere the decoration, at least there was noise. All was clanging of pots and loud-voiced cooks and hustling here and scurrying there. While Gregoire often appreciated solitude and silence, he was in his element among people. He was most at ease in places where there was some sort of hubbub or general commotion. On Kalublai, that meant the kitchen. Where everything else was strict, orderly, tidy, and sterile, the kitchen was a place of life and seeming chaos.
Gregoire was a favorite among the kitchen staff, though they were wary of him as well. He had an impish genius for excellent pranks and he knew that the only place he could pull them was in the kitchen. However, their wariness was in good humor, for Gregoire’s pranks, while humorous and sometimes aggravating, were never harmful or too messy; and he never tampered with the food. Fake spiders in the cabinets (who knew where he got them); disconnecting the stoves so that the cooks spent anywhere from minutes to hours wondering why they had no power to cook the food they had prepared; buckets of water that came crashing down on people’s heads when they walked through doors; numerous clocks imbedded in the ceiling tiles and set to go off every five minutes to drive the cooks to distraction (and none of them sounded like kitchen timers, they were all animal sounds and strange, annoying tunes that would get stuck in one’s head for days to come). These were just the beginnings of Gregoire’s seemingly endless supply of ingenious practical jokes.
“So it’s your week again, is it?” one of the cooks said sourly as Gregoire entered, but there was a twinkle in his eye as he said it.
“You’d never get along without me, Sten,” Gregoire replied merrily. “What’s the menu tonight?”
“Fried vegetables and soured roast, you’d better hurry your chores tonight, I know it’s your favorite.”
“Aw, now come on, Sten, you’ll save me some even if I do get in last, won’t ya?”
Sten shook his head, “I’ll not get in trouble on your account! Can’t bend the rules for just anyone, Gregoire. You know that.”
Gregoire grinned, an impish light glowing behind his blue-gray eyes, “Ah yah, I know, but then, I’m not Anyone, Sten… you know that! I’m Gregoire!”
Sten broke into a grin as Gregoire picked up their ongoing inside joke, “Well then, I s’pose just this once… since you’re sure you’re not Anyone.”
Gregoire swiped an apple slice and popped it into his mouth; he chewed for a moment, rolled the food around on his tongue, looked up at the ceiling, and then shrugged his shoulders, “Only name I’ve ever been called is ‘Gregoire,’” he said confidently.
Sten laughed out loud and whipped a towel at him, “Get out of here you young imp! I’ll save you a little something to eat, but you’d better not take all night about getting back here.”
Gregoire hopped out of reach and picked up a tray, grinning widely. He carried the tray out into the hallway and towards the room where the guardians dined together. The banter was all but irrelevant, for Gregoire was never the last one back to the kitchen, and they both knew it. After Gregoire had served the guardians, it was time to take food to the prisoners. Tonight, he was serving the R-wing, which he had been looking forward to all day. He wondered where the new prisoners were from and what their stories were and whether or not they would talk to him. He knew there were only two of them this time, and that they were special, because Nefario VII’s son had come with them. Neither Nefario VII nor his son frequented the prison planet very often. They preferred to keep clear, and Gregoire could hardly blame them. Kalublai was a desolate and depressing place. Gregoire wondered idly if Nefario VII had any other name besides the one of his father and grandfather. He had, upon occasion, heard that Nefario VIII was referred to as “Nathan” and would not officially inherit the title of “Nefario” until it came his turn to sit on the galactic throne.
“Well, I suppose they take the name of ‘Nefario’ to keep up appearances,” Gregoire mused quietly to himself, “I’ll bet having all those different Nefario’s in the family gets confusing sometimes!” He chuckled at his own joke and skipped a step or two, celebrating himself for his cleverness and wondering whether or not the new prisoners would have any worthwhile stories to tell.
He had arrived at the closet where the food for the prisoners had been stacked on wheeled carts, ready to deliver. Gregoire muttered angrily to himself when he saw that the other cell-children had already come and gotten their carts. Then he sighed, the only real problem with the duty of serving the guardians was that the person whose job it was had to take the cart with the errant wheel. No matter which direction one was trying to go, one wheel on this particular cart always wanted to go off in some other completely inconvenient direction. He was fast enough that he never had to worry about getting back to the kitchen last, but the cart with the wayward wheel was highly annoying.
He sighed and pulled the cart out of the closet. Now everything would take twice as long and he would have less time to talk with the new prisoners. But then, as he pulled the cart into the light, he noticed the extra plate. He smiled, a bit self-conciously, knowing at last that he had a real friend who cared about him and paid attention, “Thanks Sten,” he whispered. Then, pushing carefully, for there was a certain knack to making the finicky cart travel in the correct direction, Gregoire started off down the hallway towards the R-wing.

Stewart said:
Why? You self-published.

Now, now, Stewie. If you self-published your book, you'd be excited, too. There's a world of difference between a book that's on your computer or in a notebook and actually seeing it in book form. How it's published shouldn't matter. :)

Why?

Nah, it's ok, that's exactly the kind of comment that turned me off to forums. But I'll answer your question anyway.

I got excited about my book getting published for the same reason I got excited about the Lord of the Rings movies. It meant that I could share my stories with people. I love reading fantasy fiction novels and I've been a Tolkein fan since I was 4 but the size of the books always turned my friends away. Well, whether Peter Jackson got them right or not, at least it meant that I could share the joy of the stories with my non-reading friends. Even self-publishing means that your book is out there, available to whomever wants to read it. I got excited because it meant that people outside my immediate family could read my stories, not just random strangers either, but friends who hadn't had a chance to borrow the one hard copy I had printed.

Back