• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

new forum

piedro

whoa!
i have to say i was stunned when i saw this forum upgrade. for a sec i started wondering whether this was the same forum!
now i am feeling like a newbie all over again. i still have to checkout all the new features.
i can say that the appearance is definitely better but i have to get used to it
nostalgia of the old forum? :(

Just had this upgrade on another site I read, takes a few days to get used to but I think in then end it will be better.

There are loads of new features - you should see the admin area :)

The new "display modes" are pretty neat. You can either view the posts in the same way as the old forum, or in a threaded view (similar to a newsgroup) or a hybrid of both.

I've tried to keep most of the layout the same as the old forum software. Don't forget there's the "test forum" if you want to see what everything does.

If you hover over a button or icon it should pop up a little yellow help box telling you what it does.

Well, i preferred the old way, but then we fear change!!!

Its okay i guess, it'll just take some getting used too :)

Btw, are there any other templates than this?? I'd prefer my colours a little less washed-out :D

Phil

I'm with Phil, for now ... It's gonna take a lot of getting used to, I think.

Cheers, Martin :D

I agree with Phil, but again I have to get used to it. Most of the website forums always changes, update, really.

had such an upgrade taken place previously on this forum?
btw i would have liked if they had increased the number of smileys

piedro said:
had such an upgrade taken place previously on this forum?
btw i would have liked if they had increased the number of smileys
The last major upgrade to the forum was when we moved from ezboard to hosting our own forum using vbulletin (that was in April 2002 if anyone's interested).

vBulletin has continued to grow and develop its forum software, and this is the latest version. Most of the other forum sites which use vbulletin will be switching over to this new version.

I'll be hunting for some more smilies once the software has been released in its final version. I'm not a big fan of these pale smilies which vbulletin installs by default. If anyone knows some sites where I can get smilies (for free :) ) then let me know.

I do have a question about the new forum. Whenever I want to log in, the "remember me" thingy is ticked, and I always have to untick it. Can you do something about that? I think that those who want to be remember need to see it only once, whereas I think the unticking business might drive me mad some time soon. ;)

lies said:
I do have a question about the new forum. Whenever I want to log in, the "remember me" thingy is ticked, and I always have to untick it. Can you do something about that? I think that those who want to be remember need to see it only once, whereas I think the unticking business might drive me mad some time soon. ;)
Your wish is my command :)

Love the newness. This upgrade looks a lot crisper than the old, and the navigation is so much easier, not only to find your way around but with the placing of things such as the private messages and the avatars and such like...much more aesthetically pleasing.

The only thing that has taken me a while to get used to is not having the 'mark all forums as read' link below the posts for the 'new posts' but having it, instead, in the 'quick links' dropdown menu.

Mxx

Back