• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

new meaning: to kill a mockingbird

bren

I'm dragging around horribly thanks to a dimwit bird that started a godawful racket at two AM! That stinkin bird never stopped until eight AM. I love hearing a bird chirp in the morning, I actually love birds. What was this bird thinking?? I need an ornithologist's help, here. I just want to rig up the hose to scare him out next time he tries it! Any ideas, anyone?

And it WAS a mockingbird.:mad:

How about ear plugs? Or get a cowbell or other noise maker to scare it off when it keeps you awake again. You're already awake..might as well vent..Mockingbirds are pretty tenacious and hard to scare, so I don't know how successful you'll be with scare tactics. A well-placed cat might be your best bet..til the next bird moves in:rolleyes:

Yeah, where's the neighbor's cat when you need it? My guinea pigs couldn't scare a fly. Ah, well, it takes a lot to get me out of a cozy bed at night, so the bird is pretty safe, but the earplug idea is sound. The pillow over the head reduced the impact - add earplugs, and (my fantasy) voila! That bird's got vocal power.

Another fantasy, maybe he'll lose his voice.:p
Thanks, ABC:(

Nah, Moto, too dark.:D

Anyhow, I'm a bird LOVER not a bird hater. This bird is tempting me to make an exception, though.

Maybe if you could go to www.enature.com and record the sound of several birds of prey..like owls, eagles, hawks, etc..put them on a disc to play outside-not during wet weather of course- cat sounds would be lovely too:D
Of course, being this is a mockingbird we're discussing, he may just decide to mimic these sounds, and you'll have a real confusing concert every night;)

Depending on how close your neighbors are....bottle rockets into the trees might work. :eek: :D

But if you live close to other people many noise options are out of the question. Which brings me back to BB gun. There's plenty of light between 6:00am and 8:00am....

LOL, ABC, you're a devious thinker, aren't you? What a world! That bird is probably just celebrating a break in this really rainy weather. I can't believe I'm being a BIRD apologist - he has no excuse!

I still won't shoot him though, light or not! What if I get the wrong bird...? I haven't entirely given up on the hose idea though, since it can be set up during the NORMAL diurnal hours and executed with minimal fuss. Yes, I'm an optimist.

At least your noisemaker is a critter..try having it be a so-called human being, who races his motorcycle engine, starting about 10pm. He usually stops by 2am or so:mad: AND the kids tell me he drives across our backyard during that time too:eek: We've never caught him at that, but we HAVE seen him clip across our yard in the early evening..when dh and the kids were shooting hoops on the driveway. He's our neighbor on the south; the new neighbors on the north have a dune buggy:rolleyes:

I would be afraid that earplugs would keep me from hearing other important things. Like alarm clocks. Kids needing help or crying. Running water. Dog needing to go out or getting sick. Things that go "bump" in the night that might need attention in a hurry.

I get very claustraphobic feeling if my hearing is plugged up that way.

Yes I'm strange. ;)

ABC, that's a tough one! Self-control ... and, Dear Abby! Isn't the solution to that one, brownies all around? Thought I heard that ... ;)

bren said:
I just want to rig up the hose to scare him out next time he tries it!
You had the right idea in your first post.:) I had the same problem with a mockingbird singing at nighttime in a neighbor's backyard tree. The street lights were enough to keep the bird awake.
The next day I put out a hose and attached a nozzle that created a far reaching waterstream. I knew the neighbors had nothing electrical or anything that could be damaged in their yard so when the bird awoke me that night I was able to get it with the water and it never returned to the area.

The beautiful sound of a Mockinbird actually helps me sleep. The only bird that has kept me awake was a whipporwill outside the window. And one time a woodpecker in the gutter outside the bedroom window.

This is a crazy coincidence...I have a couple of blackbirds that are nesting in the circulation vent leading from my master bathroom adjacent to my bedroom, and they have been keeping me awake for a couple of days now. I had a screen covering the vent opening, but the noisy bast**** worked their way through that. I will take care of them as soon as I get my extension ladder back from a buddy of mine. Good luck!

Occlith, the bird must have tired itself out a smidge because he only squawked on and off for a couple hours the following night. If it happens again Sunday night when my husband has to get up at 4.30 AM, I guarantee that hose will be set up! Seems logical.

I love a mockingbird during the day, even one that seems to have had lessons from the Mariah Carey of all crows, but at night that fella will put out your ear, and there's no sleeping with that, Muggle. The decibels are truly not to be believed, when he's in full voice.

Good luck to you Justin, with your blackbirds. :cool:

Thanks everyone for much needed support - not quite so bleary-eyed today!:)

bren said:
I love a mockingbird during the day, even one that seems to have had lessons from the Mariah Carey of all crows, but at night that fella will put out your ear, and there's no sleeping with that, Muggle. The decibels are truly not to be believed, when he's in full voice.

bren, understand, I sleep through almost anything. :)
One night my wife woke me up and asked if I heard that noise. I said no and went back to sleep. My wife got up and went downstairs to check things out and did not find anything. Next morning I went outside and found that the bear had come and knocked over our gas grill and tore it apart to get at the meat drippings on the grates.

Good birdie, moved two doors down and didn't begin until six AM.:)
His ears must have been burning.:)
:)

Spring fever. Don't any of you guys ever watch Disney films? They're all just twitterpated. It won't last. :rolleyes:

abecedarian said:
Maybe if you could go to www.enature.com and record the sound of several birds of prey..like owls, eagles, hawks, etc..put them on a disc to play outside-not during wet weather of course- cat sounds would be lovely too:D
Of course, being this is a mockingbird we're discussing, he may just decide to mimic these sounds, and you'll have a real confusing concert every night;)
Thanks for the link, abc! I have never heard a mockingbird's song, but I do love my little chickadees. (Cheeseburger!)

Back