• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

New member intro

The Doogster

Hi folks

I've just discovered your wonderful forum. It's nice to see a gathering of like minds.

My main interest is modern literature, which I classify as being from the mid nineteenth century onwards. I enjoy reading novels from all parts of the world, but I have a soft spot for European lit, as well as writing from the English-speaking world.

Some of my favourite writers are Patrick White, David Malouf and Christina Stead (who are Australian writers of exceptional merit if you're not familiar with them), Arundhati Roy, Salman Rushdie, J M Coetzee (highly deserving of his recent Nobel prize), James Joyce, Thomas Hardy, Knut Hamsun (who is my favourite writer of all), Hermann Hesse, Flann O'Brien, Virginia Woolf, Samuel Beckett, Jose Saramago (it was interesting to see "Blindness" as your book of the month as I've just finished reading it), Thomas Mann, Franz Kafka, William Faulkner, etc, etc, etc - the list is endless (I've filled up all the bookcases in my house with books I have yet to read!)

I read voraciously and am always in search of new writers. I'm currently reading Francis Stuart's "Black List, Section H". This Irish writer is new to me, but so far I'm enjoying having made his acquaintance, so to speak.

Another of my passions is modern non-fiction, mainly on the subjects of politics, history, science and philosophy.

I look forward to fruitsome discussions with you all.

Regards. The Doogster

Hi and welcome doogster. Thanks for sharing your list of authors. I recently read and enjoyed The Women at the Pump by Hamsun, and I'll have to go check out the Aussie writers you mentioned.

Hi there and welcome to TBF. :) Some "heavy" writers you mention. I've read Patrick White's The Vivisector many years ago, and remember being very impressed by it.

Back