• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

New reader, help finding a book series I enjoy :)

jmido

kickbox
First, let me tell you guys why i'm here. I'm a tv person. It's visual and easier to get into. However, I'v seen over 40 entire tv series and there aren't many shows left to watch (that I like atleast). So now I'm switching over to books to fill my spare time. It's not that I don't mind reading, the problem I have though is finding a good book. I get bored easily and it needs to start off strong if I'm going to keep reading it.

I'v only read a handful of book but I can give you an idea of what I like. I'm really interested in apocalyptic, post apocalyptic, survival, supernatural stuff. I'm not much of a religious person but the one series that had me reading all through the nights was the Left Behind books. They had everything I liked:

-Tons of people disappearing leaving the world in utter confusion and destruction
-Deadly supernatural events killing 90% of the population like earthquakes, plagues that only effect certain ppl, unknown creatures that stung people to make them super sick, ect.
-An evil man unites the world (the devil) and forces everyone to take a mark of allegiance. Anyone who doesn't take it is hunted and killed by the general population and police.
-The protagonists of the book are survivors trying to get by without being caught

It just has everything that interests me and I'd love to find similar books (although not as religious). Also, I'm only interested in long books and series. I hate getting wrapped up in a story and having it end shortly after I begin. The Left Behind series was 13 books with 400+ pages each. It kept me occupied for a long time and that's what I like.

I also like the sookie stackhouse series and supernatural/super powers type things.

If it helps, some of my favorite tv shows are Lost, Supernatural, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Walking Dead, Survivors (BBC show about survivors of a deadly plague), Jericho, Heroes...

Thanks everyone! Hoping you guys can help me find some good book series :)

It's not actually a series, but Stephen King's THE STAND would probably appeal to you - try reading the uncut version, which is something like 1000 pages long.

Given the action/drama drive that you mention some of your preferred TV shows to have (Buffy/Supernatural/Lost etc.) I would recommend Del Toro's The Strain trilogy. I really enjoyed the first two books that I read, and the third one should be out in October. I know that those books have been popular with a few forum members here who've read them. I'll also echo Brad's suggestions of King's The Stand and especially Justin Cronin's The Passage; I really enjoyed that book alot.

A book I really enjoyed readying earlier this year that matches your interests was Adam Baker's Outpost - based on an artic oil refinery/platform whilst the world is going through an endemic virus-type outbreak, it's a really interesting take on the apocalyptic genre. Baker is working on a prequel out next year set in Iraq, and other books are likely to follow. Outpost is stand-alone though, and highly enjoyable I found. Strong characters, action and a great page-turner. You might also enjoy Stephen Leather's Nightingale books - I'd suggest checking them out as again, they meet your interests and are fairly good books. There are just two at the moment but more will be following. If you enjoy the Sookie Stackhouse books, possibly you might enjoy Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake books. There are quite a few of those now. Though I am not a big fan they are very popular and you might enjoy them.

There are a few classics - Matheson's I am Legend for example - that though just single books, you should definitely check out. That really helped light a touch paper for the zombie-genre and was an influence on Romero in his early film Night of the Living Dead and to look at the snowball that followed you can't argue that is isn't a book with huge impact. Also Salems Lot by Stephen King, possibly Cell by him too.

Funny you guys suggest The Passage because I almost bought that book the other day while checking out my local borders closing sale. I think I'll head back tomorrow and pick it up. I'll also check to see if they have any of the other books you guys suggested. Any other suggestions? From reading some reviews on The Passage, it seems to be what I'm looking for to the tee.

It's not actually a series, but Stephen King's THE STAND would probably appeal to you - try reading the uncut version, which is something like 1000 pages long.

The Stand and Robert McCammon's Swan Song are two of the best apocalyptic books. The Stand is a bit slower starting were Swan Song is crap blowing up right at the start.

Read The Dresden Files. It's like Buffy,except a thousand time more funnier,badass, and an all around supernatural mystery thrill-ride.

There's also 13 books in the series currently.

The unchosen life

You should try reading the unchosen life by Danka V. Its the first book in a series. I think you are going to love it. Here is the official description.

One soul mate… One true love… And the fact that they are not the same person!
People believe that every soul has its other half somewhere in the world. A soul mate or so I’ve been told, and they spend a lifetime seeking that other half, hoping to find it… I don’t need to hope anymore because mine found me… And tried to take my life! Today, twenty-four years since I was born, I finally do believe that there is a true love in life and that somewhere out there, there is that other one who will, once they show up, complete your own soul. But I learned much too late that they are not the same thing! My name is Elena Wolchek and this is my story.

You should try reading the unchosen life by Danka V. Its the first book in a series. I think you are going to love it. Here is the official description.

One soul mate… One true love… And the fact that they are not the same person!
People believe that every soul has its other half somewhere in the world. A soul mate or so I’ve been told, and they spend a lifetime seeking that other half, hoping to find it… I don’t need to hope anymore because mine found me… And tried to take my life! Today, twenty-four years since I was born, I finally do believe that there is a true love in life and that somewhere out there, there is that other one who will, once they show up, complete your own soul. But I learned much too late that they are not the same thing! My name is Elena Wolchek and this is my story.

A new member whose first post here is to plug a book on Smashwords. No, not suspicious at all.

You authors/family of authors/friends of authors/publicists need to do better than that.

Alright, i finished The Passage. After hurricane Irene we lost power for 5 days so I took the time to read the whole book :p

Does anyone know of any really good zombie series? I'm a huge fan of anything zombie and plan on making a trip to our library tomorrow.

Back