• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

New to a job

RainbowGurl

Did anyone start a new job and got bossed around alot by the other co-workers? Is this a way of showing you they are in a higher rank than what your doing in the business? How long did it go on for? Did you have to stick up for yourself for it to stop? Or did you just let them boss you around until they eventually calmed down?

RainbowGurl said:
Did anyone start a new job and got bossed around alot by the other co-workers? Is this a way of showing you they are in a higher rank than what your doing in the business? How long did it go on for? Did you have to stick up for yourself for it to stop? Or did you just let them boss you around until they eventually calmed down?

Can't say that I've ever had that problem. You are a young one aren't you? Could it be that the old gals(or guys) are afraid of a youngster showing them how it's done? Just speculating-best of luck.

When I started at a grocery store, the stockers were really bad about trying to tell me (and any other newcomer) that we checkers were supposed to call them up in order of their senority-newest guys first..right! Like anyone can remember that when the lines are all the way back to the meat counter. So, I asked the girls who worked in the booth-our first line in the chain of command..and of course they said that was nonsense. That's just stuff to ask someone in charge, and get it straight.

RainbowGurl said:

Don't get a job in public service. We take pleasure in hazing...I mean inducting...I mean welcoming new employees into the fold!

When i started my nurse training there was an old nurse on my first ward i was put on!

She treated us trainees like shit and it took me ages to stand up for myself!
I was 18 at the time!

I nearly packed it in because of her!
so glad i never!:)

SFG75 said:
Rainbow-Allow me to recommend this bookwhich may shed some light on your situation.

Ha! Trust a history teacher to find such a cool answer to a "modern" dilemna..just goes to show there truly is "nothing new under the sun." Thanks! You just validated history majors everywhere(my dd included). Excuse me while I go see if I can get this book from the library....

The way I would handle that is by asking them LOTS of questions about how to do the job and what they do and what you can learn from them. Go ahead and take notes. Kiss ass. Treat them like they're big gurus. They'll leave you alone in no time.

Back