• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

New to the reading scene

Spineshank

Hi, i am a newbie when it comes to reading novels, i think i get through about 3 books a year and have found that i really am starting to like the fantasy area of the book store. All suggestions would be appreciated for good fantasy authors, i am currectly reading RA Salvatore and like him a lot so anything that relates to his works or if you have some better ones, please suggest them to me. Like i said im pretty new to the novel scene so thanks, nice to meet everyone.

Welcome, Spineshank! We have a fantasy lover or two around here someplace.

Be patient and pretty soon somebody'll take her nose out of her book and bombard you with suggestions.

Meanwhile, just go to the Search feature on up at the top there (in the darker blue area) and type in 'fantasy'.

:D

Welcome to TBF, Spineshank :)

I believe that two of our prominent fantasy experts are Jemima Aslana and Fistandantilus. Maybe you could give them a PM?

Hi spineshank. I admit to knowing pretty much nothing about fantasy, so I'll just say "welcome", and leave it at that!

Stewart said:
Okay, kiss those boyfriends goodbye too. :p

Or settle down with a geek.

I wish I could find a female geek/nerd of my age...

Hello and all that, Spiney.

Greetings, Spineshank (God, that sounds painful!) from a veteran Fantasy reader.

PS - I have read Fantasy for over 20 years and have actually kissed a girl;)

Welcome Spineshank! What sort of fantasy books are you reading? We all have our favorites, but I like alternate history /fantasy a lot. I highly reccomend 1632 by Eric Flint,The Two Georges by Richard Dreyfus and Harry Turtledove, or Island in the Sea of Time by S.M. Stirling. There are no faries or wizards, but plenty of action and adventure.

I think im into more of the wizards and barbarian and evil demons fantasy, i know that seems a little childish but thats just what im into, the Lord of the Rings and such. DO you have any recommendations?

Oh and i have been engaged for 4 months now and with the same girl for 3 years, and she is pretty hot so just because i read fantasy doesn't mean i can't keep a girl. She doesn't even like to read and doesn't mind me reading fantasy books. So there is hope for us geeks out there don't give up.

Spineshank said:
So there is hope for us geeks out there don't give up.
Welcome, Spineshank.
I'd never dream of calling you a geek for reading three fantasy book a year, but then I am not from Cleveland. I have some relatives there and one of them said once that people in rock bands are nerds. It changed my view of Ozzy Osborne forever.:confused:

Well i have read 2 fantasy books this month now, i just started to read more fantasy now and thats why i consider myself a newbie to reading these books in general. I like rock bands, so im a rock band geek too. Geez.

Hey, Stewart, why don't you drop your 'geek' remarks over on the Why is reading Dorky thread? :rolleyes: Don't mind Stewart, Spineshank (brr... what a name), he's a little prickly at times, but I'm sure there's a caramel centre there somewhere...

Welcome to TBF from a fellow fantasy reader! Ainulindale is a HUGE fantasy fan around here and has a bunch of lists of hisfavourite fantasy books.

Your wizards and barbarians theme is common to where I started out in fantasy. After a while it got a little run-of-the-mill, so I'm branching out a bit. But I still enjoy a rollicking good ride! Plus, I think some of the run-of-the-mill material is a great starting point to ease you into the genre. I would recommend:

David Eddings: Belgariad series and Mallorean series (if you like them, there's another series)
Raymond E. Feist: Riftwar Saga - originally made up of 3 books, I found it got a little drawn out after that, though some would disagree, but the first three were fantastic.
David Gemmel I'm not a huge fan, but there's certainly the barbarians you're looking for in his work.
Guy Gavriel Kay Tigana - LOVED IT! A one book story.
Terry Goodkind Wizards First Rule series - some conjecture about this series (do a forum search), but I really enjoyed them.

Welcome to the forum, Spineshank! :) I read some fantasy and I enjoyed Trudi Canavan's The Black Magician trilogy.

MonkeyCatcher said:
I believe that two of our prominent fantasy experts are Jemima Aslana and Fistandantilus. Maybe you could give them a PM?
Golly, I didn't know I'd been elevated to such status so soon after I started posting hehe Now I feel all important :D

I'll add Ainulindale to the list though, she(am I getting the gender right?) has made lists of fantasy books I haven't ever heard of :p

Welcome on board either ways, Spineshank, you already have my recommendations, so here I shall simply leave a public warm welcome :)

And to all those geeks out there. Yep there are female geeks, but I must refer to the quote that for me became immortalised in the webcomic, PhD - Being the only girl among so many male geeks may mean that "The odds are good, but the goods are odd." hehe

I have known some very gorgeous and lovable geeks though, and I've even dated one of them, so it's not entirely impossible to find one. I've also dated non-geeks, but sadly they hold very little interest for me :p

Back