• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

New to This Forum

marycathie

kickbox
Hi,
I love to read and always have trouble finding a good book.I hope to be able to get good info on good books and to learn how to use this forum.Never done this before so please if I goof,forgive me....Marycathie

We're a lovely forgiving bunch here, so any little mishaps are of course forgiven.....unless you turn out to be a big, nasty troll, in which case you will be banished to the depths of cyberspace hell (one featuring a dancing president and that crazy frog music shudder)

Welcome!

I'm rather new as well so good luck with the forum! I hope you find some good books and enjoy your visits!

In my signature there is a link to information about the publishing industry but I have a link there to reviews of books I've read -or the lastest post my husband read.

I'll be adding more soon so keep checking back if you want ideas on some books to read!

I am looking for mostly fantasy books.I have read David Eddings except for all the Dreamer Series.....JRR Tolkien,would love books like The Lord of the Rings series......JK Rowlings,of course Harry Potter,..........Maggie Shayne,she wrote vampire stories as did Laurel K.Hamilton....so maybe this will give evryone an idea of the types of books I am looking for.Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.........Thanks,Marycathie

New Fantasy Series

I know of a newer fantasy series that fits the genre you are talking about. The author is Alan Coleman and his series is called Quest of the Seal Bearers. His first book is called Book 1: The Warriors Return and the second has just been released called Book 2: The Five Jewels. Thought I'd throw this idea your way! I'm a big fantasy fan and enjoyed both books.

You can see the website at http://www.mendala.com

Thanks

cant wait to read these...Thanks.I visited the website and I think you are right...I am gonna love these,Marycathie

:)

The author is Alan Coleman and his series is called Quest of the Seal Bearers. His first book is called Book 1: The Warriors Return and the second has just been released called Book 2: The Five Jewels.

I should point out to marycathie that those two books are self-published and there's no preview of the text to measure the quality of the prose. But, as someone who doesn't believe fiction should be self-published in this day and age, I doubt it will be anywhere approaching a worthwhile read.

EDIT: Referring to previews, I was talking about on the publisher's site and not the Mendala one. But when the first sentence of the first book begins with a split infinitive I don't hold out much hope for it.

I agree that you can't always trust a self-published work which is why I attached the address to the website. I assume you both went to the website and saw the first chapters posted online. I like Alan's writing style and I hope he gets picked up by a traditional publisher soon.

marycathie, have you read Anne McCaffrey? I really enjoyed the Dragonriders of Pern series.

(She's traditionally published so I hope no one objects!)

I read a few of her books.Not really to my liking although I thought they were good.And I always try a suggested author because one persons idea of a good or bad book doesnt make it so.You may like one I dont like....marycathie

Welcome MaryCathie! Looks like you've already got the swing of things. I'm also a big fantasy fan and the Fantasy forum is really great. See ya 'round!

Well, I just finished A Game of Thrones by Martin and rather enjoyed it. Now I'm working on Dragon and Phoenix by Joanne Bertin and I love this one. I really like dragons and Bertin's are fantastic.

Here are some of the other fantasy books I've read:

The Last Dragonlord by Joanne Bertin
Dragonworld by Byron Preiss
Joust by Mercedes Lackey
Alta by Mercedes Lackey
The Dragon and the George by George R. Dickson
Eragon Paolini
Eldest Paolini

That's just the last month. All of them were good and I'd recommend them to anyone looking for some good fantasy. However, I don't have very picky taste - I like a lot of different things and some bad qualities don't turn me off to a whole book.

Thanks

I have A GAME OF THRONES and as soon as I can I am gonna read it.Several people have said this is a good book.Is it one of a series?I like to read the books that continue on into another book so long as they dont get boring.Thanks,Mary

Yes, its part of the series called A Song of Ice and Fire. I think there's 4 books written so far and he's going for 6 total. There's a great thread on the series in the fantasy forum.

Its a good book and I really like Martin's style. But he's a lot darker than what I usually read, which isn't bad, but I've found it affects me differently. It also has some adult themes and pretty graphic scenes, so be prepared. But you definitely need to read this one.

New

Hi to all:

Another wandering soul and new to this forum. Think I see a few familiar names already though!

Looking forward to chatting with you all.

Aemy

Back