• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Non-US/British Sci-Fi?

Heteronym

Sparkchaser gave me the idea of starting this thread after I commented that I didn't know of any sci-fi authors outside the UK and USA. He also pointed out the Russians as good examples: indeed there's Stanislaw Lem, author of the seminal Solaris, and Roadside Picnic, by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky; this is the book that became the movie Stalker. I also know Italo Calvino's Cosmicomics series and the grandfather of sci-fi, Jules Verne.

So, what other examples of non-US/British sci-fi authors can you think of?

Pierre Bordage is one of the best SciFi writer in France but amazingliy not translated in English.It came as a shock when i found out for he published more the 20 books,most best sellers.If you want to read some of it,i just found a site where the two first chapiter of one of his books is translated. Someone in the same state of perplexity as me as for why an US or UK publisher has not explored this gold mine.

Kirkville - French Science Fiction by Pierre Bordage

Stanislaw Lem, of course, is Polish. And Karel Capek, whose War With the Newts is one of my all-time favourite SF novels, is Czech.

As I always do in these threads, I'll recommend one Swedish novel: Karin Boye's Kallocain, a dystopian 1930s novel not dissimilar to Brave New World. Harry Martinsson's Aniara should qualify as sci-fi too - a book-length poem about mankind's last spaceship trying to find a new home to settle on.

Andreas Eschbach (German author) once wrote a Sfi-Fi novel named "Quest". I really liked it and it left a very long lasting impression on me. He's also written quite a few other good Sci-Fi novels.
It's peeving that his books get translated in French, Dutch, Japanese, Russian or Polish but never in English. *sigh*
I'll keep an eye on it and if his books will be available in english one day I'll come back to you.

I'd love to read the english translations.

Back