• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

"Nontraditional Love"?

antony48

Came across it on amazon. It is called "Nontraditional Love" by Rafael Grugman. It says in the synopsis that its about dystopian world where heterosexual marriages are forbidden. Does anybody know what it is all about?

I found the editorial review on the Amazon, when I click on the picture. For search, type keyword Nontraditional Love

“The scene is the twenty-third century. At the heart of the novel is a love story between a man and a woman who are forced to hide their feelings and pass as homosexuals. Nontraditional Love describes a homosexual world in which heterosexual marriages are forbidden… “
It’s means in a future a nontraditional love it is a love between a man and a woman. I order a book...

Came across it on amazon. It is called "Nontraditional Love" by Rafael Grugman. It says in the synopsis that its about dystopian world where heterosexual marriages are forbidden. Does anybody know what it is all about?

It's funny: yesterday I was thinking if there had been a story with this premise. I'll have to read up on this book.

It's funny: yesterday I was thinking if there had been a story with this premise. I'll have to read up on this book.

A book with a parallel premise is Ursula LeGuin's The Left Hand of Darkness. It is set in a world where people have no stable sexual identity but alternate between male and female. So there are no gender identifies because everyone is both.

A book with a parallel premise is Ursula LeGuin's The Left Hand of Darkness. It is set in a world where people have no stable sexual identity but alternate between male and female. So there are no gender identifies because everyone is both.

It’s different. The Editorial Reviews from Amazon:

"The scene is the twenty-third century. At the heart of the novel is a love story between a man and a woman who are forced to hide their feelings and pass as homosexuals. Nontraditional Love describes a homosexual world in which heterosexual marriages are forbidden. World history and the classics of world literature Tolstoy, Shakespeare... have been falsified in order to support the ideology of this opposite world."

Yes, indeed it is different. But parallel in that heterosexual love as we experience it is not possible. In one book by fiat and in the other book by biology. In The Left Hand of Darkness, the man from earth (stable as a male) is perceived as a pervert.

After reading… The idea of the novel is intriguing and established, but the tone seems to me didactic. But finally, I recommend this book

Back