• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Nothing

Libre said:
something divided by zero is not nothing, it's undefined.

Exactly my point. If it's undefinable then can it be something? Anything? Or does it fit the definition of nothing?

Can you define nothing, or is nothing undefinable?

If I place an object in front of you that you've never seen before I'm sure that you'll be able to define it in some way. Color, texture, weight, size, shape.......

But if there's no way to define something is the something really something?

Or is it nothing?

What is nothing?
Is it something that we have no intention of grasping but know that it's there and just ignore its signifigance or is it just nothing and I am rambling about nothing?

If it's perceivable - though not describable/definable - it can't be nothing, right? If it's nothing-able whatsoever, then it might be nothing. Probably, we'll never know about nothing. ;) Being unable to identify only shows the limits of humankind and the world, not of Something or Nothing. (Jeez, listen to me... :p ) Probably, only nothing is nothing. Everything else... well, whatve you got? (Just having started vacation is Great on the imagination... :cool: )

Anyone read The Neverending Story? At least in Swedish translation, Nothing eats up the land of Fantasia. Nothing makes things never-having-existed... That's nothing. Except, of course, you can go back to the beginning of the book and there it is... :rolleyes:

*mrkgnao*

mrkgnao said:
Anyone read The Neverending Story? At least in Swedish translation, Nothing eats up the land of Fantasia. Nothing makes things never-having-existed... That's nothing. Except, of course, you can go back to the beginning of the book and there it is... :rolleyes:

I beg to differ. "The Nothing" is a storm that makes things void. The void may be nothing but "The Nothing" is definitely not nothing..because its a thing, and therefore not no-thing. Perhaps I'm just arguing over nothing.

In the Odyssey, Homer says that Odysseus tells the cyclops that his name is Oddeus, which was Greek for nothing. That way when they attacked the cyclops and he screamed that he was in agony from a stick being jabbed in his eye, he would say that 'Nobody' did it and the other cyclopes would not come to kill Odysseus and his men. That is a true myth about Nothing.

Back