• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

October Reads

abecedarian

What did you read in October? Enquiring minds want to know!

Here's my list:

Janini-Shaikat Osmun (Bangladesh) 2/5

The Hidden Writer: Diaries of the Creative Life-Alexandra Johnson 4/5

Miramar- Naguib Mahfouz (Egypt) 2/5

The 99 Cent Breakfast-Patricia Glinton Meicholas(Bahamas) 3/5

Definately Dead-Charlaine Harris 3/5

The Book of Puka-Puka- Robert Dean Frisbie(Cook Islands) 3/5

Zlata's Diary-Zlata Filipovic (Bosnia) 4/5

Sex Lives of Cannibals-J. Maarten Troost (Kiribiti) 4/5

The Winter Queen-Boris Akunin 4/5

Floor Sample-Julia Cameron 3/4

The Stone of Laughter- Hoda Barakat 1/5

Er:

The Apple (New Crimson Petal Stories), Michel Faber
A Study In Scarlet, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

One right at the start; the other at the end. In between I've stopped and started so many in between. Just hasn't been a reading month. :(

Ah good. I wasn't sure if I wanted to follow you or not Stewart. ;) I didn't even make it through two books. Just hasn't been a good month for it. Reading is going to be a priority in November and December though.

A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin. Over a thousand pages so I don't feel too bad.
Dracula by Bram Stoker. Still not finished but should be soon.

Er:

The Apple (New Crimson Petal Stories), Michel Faber
A Study In Scarlet, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

One right at the start; the other at the end. In between I've stopped and started so many in between. Just hasn't been a reading month. :(

Isn't is odd how that happens sometimes? I've noticed several of us having this problem now and then and we're all at a loss to totally understand it, but we're sure not too happy about it!

I'm going to finish my book soon. It's just that I'm spending only about 10 minutes on it daily (can you guess?) - and I'm trying to finish another project of mine any free time I've got (when I'm not here). :)

ABC, that's an impressive list you've got there.

Stewart, how did you like Study in Scarlet?

ds

After completing two books in three months, I somehow got back on tracks again. Not hitting a bad book all month probably helped…

1) One Man's Justice by Akira Yoshimura – 8/10

Review here.

2) Monumental Propaganda by Vladimir Voinovich – 7/10

Review here.

3) Corksucker by Dan Fante –7/10

Review here.

4) Snow Country by Yasunari Kawabata – 7/10

Kawabata is a favourite Japanese author of mine, with a very minimalistic approach to prose. So much is unsaid. Snow Country is about the relationship between a Japanese businessman and a ‘hotspring geisha’. You’d need a good knowledge of Japanese culture to understand all the nuances of the book, so instead I settled for expanding the knowledge I did have. All in all, a rather beautiful book.

5) The Emperor: Downfall of an Autocrat by Ryszard Kapuscinski – 7/10

Review here.

6) The Night In Lisbon by Erich Maria Remarque – 8/10

Review Here.

7) Collected Poems by Anna Akhmatova – 8/10

Best poet of her generation? Best Russian poet of the 20th Century? Best female poet of all time? It’s hard to know how high to set the bar when praising Akhmatova, given you are viewing her work through translation. But even someone with a tin ear for poetry like myself can appreciate the genius on display here. A good collection, but perhaps bettered by the Penguin edition of selected poems ISBN 0-14-018617-4

8) Jeeves in the Offing by P.G. Wodehouse – 7/10

My first outing into Jeeves and Wooster, although not my first Wodehouse, and I found myself on pretty familiar, and very comfortable, territory straight away. Tim-nice-but-dim upper class Hooray Henrys, dotty aunts, comic misunderstandings and all the usual fair of the English country house farce. All elevated above the crowd by Wodehouse’s mastery of comic prose.

9) Doruntine by Ismail Kadare – 6/10

Albania’s Ismail Kadare takes us back in history for a medieval horror mystery. Local authorities are baffled when an old woman and her daughter Doruntine fall into a coma and die, after Doruntine has been seemly brought back from her distant marital home by a brother she did not realise had died three years previously. Oooooo spooky.
An unusual, but enjoyable book by Kadare. Many of his works are elegies, but if this was one of them, I was too thick to pick up on it.

10) The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett – 7/10

I read this whilst watching the film. Ten minutes of the movie, then 20-30 pages of the book. In retrospect I’m not sure that was a particularly good idea.

The book had a good plot, and great dialogue, let down by the occasional feeling that characters weren’t always acting in a realistic way. Perhaps that’s the book showing it’s age, perhaps I wasn’t suspending belief enough for a mystery story. Still, there’s more than enough here to convince me to read more of Hammett’s work.

11) The Sea and Poison by Shusaku Endo – 6/10

Covers similar territory as ‘One Man’s Justice’ by Akira Yoshimura but with less conviction. The story is of a Japanese doctor who reluctantly takes part in human vivisection on American prisoners of war. Too much of the book is spent filling in back story and not enough on the aftermath of the operations/killings for the consequences and feelings of the characters to be fully developed. In the end It felt like a missed opportunity.
However, Endo has an excellent reputation, and the quality of prose and dialogue was high enough for me to give him another go.

12) My First Loves by Ivan Klima – 8/10

An excellent collection of short stories by one of my favourite Czech authors. The title gives away the theme of the four stories, all of which are immediately engaging, with the stand out being “The Truth Game”, a contender for my top ten favourite short stories. Quality stuff, from an under appreciated and highly gifted author.

13) Jeeves and the Feudal Spirit by P.G. Wodehouse – 7/10

More of the same from Wodehouse. The Jeeves and Wooster story lines are pretty much interchangeable, but who cares when you’re having this much fun. A great read and an ideal one if you want to rest the brain between more substantial novels. They do tend to leave you with one nagging question though. How on earth did the British upper classes build an empire if they were this bloody stupid?

And that bring me up to 52 for the year, a good place to stop if it wasn’t for being spurred on by my current read, The First Circle by Alexander Solzhenitsyn…mama, that’s a book!

K-S

I forgot to add Danse Macabre-Laurell K. Hamilton 2/5...the only parts of the book that made any sense were the group sex scenes..which is scarier than all the monsters Anita hangs with these days:rolleyes:

I should read more, but I honestly can't find the time anymore... :(

• Haruki MURAKAMI: The Wind-up Bird Chronicle;
  • Ryūnosuke AKUTAGAWA: Rashomon and Other Stories;
  • Michael CHABON: Summerland;
  • Neil GAIMAN: Anansi Boys.
I enjoyed The Wind-up Bird Chronicle and Anansi Boys, but Rashomon and Summerland were disappointments, the first because the stories seemed so flat and the second because it was a children's book, and I was hoping for something more in the vein of Kavalier & Clay.

Dracula 4/5
Double Star by David Heinlein5/5
Series of Unfortunate Events #13 5/5
Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman -3.3/5
Vampire Kisses by Ellen Schreiber 3/5
Adventures of a Simpleton 3.5/5
The Supernaturalist by Eoin colfer 4/5

I read She Flew The Coop by Michael Lee West 7/10, The God Of Small Things by Arundhati Roy 8/10, Affinity by Sarah Waters 7/10, Bitten by Kelley Armstrong 8/10 and The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields 5/10.

I started a book blog this month mostly so I can keep track of what I thought of the books, my memory is starting to jumble things together and sometimes I forget.

Ah good. I wasn't sure if I wanted to follow you or not Stewart. ;) I didn't even make it through two books. Just hasn't been a good month for it. Reading is going to be a priority in November and December though.

A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin. Over a thousand pages so I don't feel too bad.
Dracula by Bram Stoker. Still not finished but should be soon.

I have not started the George R. R. Martin books yet, it takes a lot for me to start a series :eek: What do you think of them?

I didn't get through much either this month because I was on holiday and didn't find much time to read.

The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
Big Fish - Daniel Wallace
Post Secret - Frank Warren
Wizardology - Dugald Steer

I loved Post Secret so much and will continue to say this. It was a group art project where the author/compiler gave out blank postcards to people on the street and left piles in art galleries for people to decorate with whatever they want and their own secret. The book is a collection of these postcards and is so beautiful/hilarious/disturbing/depressing and is such an amazing view into the human mind and people's lives. I really suggest people at least look at the ones posted on the website. :) It is still going on and I think two more books are coming out soon, and many more are put on the website each Sunday.

I have not started the George R. R. Martin books yet, it takes a lot for me to start a series :eek: What do you think of them?

They're good. Plot driven. Dozens of characters. As the series goes on the writing gets a bit better too.

Is it really November 1 already

:eek:

Where does the time go...

Naked - David Sedaris (started at the end of September)
The Day The World Came to Town - 9/11 in Gander Newfoundland - Jim DeFede -- I read this book based on somebody's "what I read in Sept" post and really loved it. Thank you, whoever you were - sorry I can't remember - when I get a minute, I'll look it up and edit this note...
Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman
American Gods - Neil Gaiman
The Interpretation of Murder - Jed Rubenfeld
Anasi Boys - Neil Gaiman (still working on it)

I need a Gaiman break...

Thanks onetwentypm for recommending the 9/11 book - it was beautiful and gave me some faith in humankind...

The Meaning of Night - Michael Cox
The History of Love - Nicole Krauss
Housekeeping Vs. The Dirt - Nick Hornby

slow month for me

Lifeless, Mark Billingham
Poison Study, Maria V. Snyder
What Is Mine, Anne Holt (didn't finish this)
A Stolen Season, Steve Hamilton
Fear Nothing, Dean Koontz
Magic Study, Maria V. Snyder
The Stupidest Angel, Christopher Moore
All Mortal Flesh, Julia Spencer-Fleming
The Road, Cormac McCarthy

The best of the month was (of course) The Road, which will probably be my favorite of the year. It seems an odd thing to say how much I enjoyed it, because it was such a stark read, full of dread. But his writing was truly astounding, with some of the most beautiful phrases I've ever read. I'm having a hard time finding another book that holds my interest.

Margaret Atwood - Surfacing 5.5/10
W.P. Kinsella - Shoeless Joe 8/10
Timothy Findley - The Wars 9/10
Christopher Marlowe - The Tragical History Doctor Faustus 8.5/10

Stewart, how did you like Study in Scarlet?

I don't know, to be honest. I like the character of Sherlock Holmes and being an introduction to the man, it was a fitting introduction. While I admire the way in which he solved the case I was disappointed that the clues weren't available for me, the reader, to join in with the investigation. But, at the same time, I realise that the case is told from Watson's point of view and his isn't nearly as observant as his housemate.

I was left a bit disorientated when, after about fifty pages, the case was solved and the criminal in handcuffs. The remaining story was the criminal's past leading up to his arrest before Holmes reveals how he solved it all. It was a good enough story, if a little dull to begin with, but it picked up toward its conclusion.

I've since started The Sign Of Four which I'm finding to be a less interesting story thus far, but I'll perservere. I'm still going through my dry spell and I don't think Sherlock Holmes is going to be the one to drag me out of it. :(

Dostoevsky, Fyodor: The Gambler
Dostoevsky, Fyodor: The Double
Fowles, John: The French Lieutenant's Woman
Goethe, J.W.: Werther
Kundera, Milan: Identity
Saramago, José: Baltasar and Blimunda
Voltaire: Candide

Plus some non-fiction.

It wasn't a bad month :)

Back