• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Old TV-New To You!

shadforth

Over the last few weeks I've watched the 70s TV series Colditz. Very impressed by the high quality scripts and acting from stars like Robert Wagner and David McCallum. I was too young to appreciate first time around,but it would def blow away a lot of today's tv drama. Anyone else watched a series from the 60s,70s,80s for the 1st time?

A few years back I watched Dark Shadows - or a large number of episodes from the start onward. I bought a DVD box set and ploughed through it. It was, I have to admit, extremely cheesy stuff, but with my penchant for the gothic and supernatural I loved it. I bought a second box set but didn't watch that yet - I must try and dig it out from storage and start watching through again.

A friend loaned me a DVD of the complete series (7 episodes) of Brass Eye, and... oh god. Utterly brilliant at times, among the harshest satires of news media and moral panic I've ever seen - and especially fun when they trick celebrities into taking their ridiculous ideas seriously.

Brass Eye - Cake - YouTube
Yes, they even managed to convince one MP to raise the issue about this "made-up" drug in parliament.

I am a huge fan of Christopher Morris and Brass Eye. Would quote these shows for years afterwards with friends...

'I'll enter the nightmare of cake'

The best quote as I recall was 'Cake, it's a made-up drug!'

The part where Morris is dressed up like a match-stick in a nappy walking around London asking people for other 'fictional' drugs is priceless: ' Got on a Negative blooty with a crack candle and ended up on a Jessop Jessop Jessop Jessop'

This and subsequent episodes showed so many politico f*cks for what they are: useless media whores.

Beer good - did you ever watch Jam/Blue Jam?

Yes Beer good. For sure you have to watch Jam. Then listen to Blue Jam. You will like this as it has an Amon Tobin soundtrack accompanying.

I am reminded of Morris' earlier stuff - this skit from 'The Day Today' with Steve Coogan is one of the funniest things I think I've ever seen on television. It's a satire of the then Tory government ban on Sinn Fein's leadership's voices being broadcast on British TV back in the day...

The Day Today - Sinn Fein - YouTube

'Your tone is antagonistic and you're making me very angry' :)

Back