• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

One first book

M

member 737

Imagine yourself such a hypotetical situation: you meet a person who have never read a single book, in all his/her life. Which one book would you suggest to this person to read in order to spark a desire to go on with reading and why?

what a quality question!! :)

But I dont really have an answer tbh, I suppose it owuld depend who it was cos writing styles and content make it difficult to recommend a book for everyone.

But if it was one of my friends I'd say Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson. Its written with a lot of old Scots in it, so alot of people wouldnt understand it, but as I'm Scottish and so are most of my friends it wouldnt be as big a problem. but its a classic book that anyone who lives in Scotland can relate to cause of the place names, and the story is a proper epic, and on the whole pretty perfect.

But good question, just not easy to answer :)

I agree that it is a very hard question to answer, and I would also need to know about the person whom I was to suggest a book to. There's a lot riding on just one book to hook someone into reading, so the story and the writing style would need to be matched to the individual as no book is perfect for everybody.

A few possibilities may be Dickens' Great Expectations, which is a fabulous story and very engaging characters.

For simplicity and a clever storyline I would go for Louis Sachar's Holes.

My boss doesn't really read, but she stated to me today that 'I have started to get back into reading again after you lent me those books' - which is nice to think that I am allowing her to start to read again. The books in Question were the first three Harry Potter books, and the next one I lend her will be Holes. She is Indian, and so I want her to read The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy, but I don't think she is on a literary level to appreciate this yet, so will feed her other suitable books to work up to it. I'm hoping I can convince her to read Cold Comfort Farm as well at some point.

Good question.

Mxx

That's really a tough question, and it would depend, on the person in question, but, generally, to spark someone into reading...start where so many people start,..good ole magical, mystical, dark, scarey, creepy and wonderful, sad, happily ever after,..a big book of fairy tales....

I know it's a tough question, but I think that also an interesting one to cosider. It's always crucial to have a good start, in order to avoid being put off.

I like your propositions. As far as I'm concerned, I would suggest "Master and Margarita". It's a difficult book, but still very engrossing and entertaining, even if you don't understand clearly the deeper meaning. Besides, it was the only novel in my high school which was appreciated by literally all students in my class. It seems this book has a trait of being liked by most readers.;)

No offence but someone who'd never read a book before wouldn't get more than 3 pages into M&M. This isn't to say that all you say about it isn't right, just maybe a little tough for first time out. For me this has to be a childrens book, that can be appreciated by adults too. You can't go wrong with 'The World of Pooh' A.A Milne

"Hooshing me? You didn't think I was hooshed did you? I dived." Eeyore

J_D, on second thoughts I agree that you are right. Your suggestion is much better.

Winnie the Pooh is lovely.

murphyz said:
She is Indian, and so I want her to read The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy, but I don't think she is on a literary level to appreciate this yet, so will feed her other suitable books to work up to it. I'm hoping I can convince her to read Cold Comfort Farm as well at some point.

Good question.

Mxx

I want to read Roy's "The God of Small Things" too, but I don't think I'm on the literary level to appreciate it either. What do you suggest I read to work up to it?

I think it would have a lot to do with the person to whom I'm recommending the book. Harry Potter would be on the list, as would Fried Green Tomatos (if I'm recommending this to a woman). I'm trying to think of other possibilities...I'll get back to you on that.

surprisingly, to me at least cuz i consider myself a fantasy reader, id probly have to reccomenmd "Silent to the Bone" by... wait... SE Hinton? something like that iom not entirely sure...

Swallows and Amazons. No one could resist Swallows and Amazons. Plus it's a kiddy book so there'll be no complaints that it's too difficult.

i'd recommend Fahrenheit 451 to anyone. no matter what i may think their tastes may be. i just finished reading it (it was on my list since i read The Illustrated Man last year) and i think it's an important book for anyone to read. i must admit, i could relate to Millie and her friend Adelle before i read the book - but the book somewhat opened my eyes. the parallels to the book and modern society are almost frightening - more so than oryx and crake. it's just plain excellent in an uncomfortable way

Idun said:
Imagine yourself such a hypotetical situation: you meet a person who have never read a single book, in all his/her life. Which one book would you suggest to this person to read in order to spark a desire to go on with reading and why?
I's give them Harry Potter because everyone likes Harry Potter :p

Well actually I would try and find an easy, intresting book which also will keep them concerntrated as they have never read before they may find it hard to concerntrate.

well if they havnt read a book id say they would have a very low reading level so my favourite kids book is A Taste of Blackberries by Doris Buchanan Smith. i love this book!

amy :D

Back