• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Online book lists

tartan_skirt

I really like to keep track of the books I've read/bought to read, but if I ever lost one of my books that I write in I want something as backup... so I just registered on Library Thing and discovered this. As a free user you can only have an online "library" of 200 books. Now, for me it would be full as soon as I got all my books on there and I don't really want to have to pay to do this. So I was thinking, does anyone use any other sites to keep track of their books? I found one completely free site called Listal, but have yet to sign up. It lets you keep track of dvds, music and games as well as books, but it is beta testing.

For anyone who doesn't know of either of these sites, here are the links:

http://www.librarything.com/
http://www.listal.com/

I'd appreciate suggestions and/or opinions and experiences with any book listing site. :)

I really need to start doing something like this. Thanks for posting the links!.:cool:

I use librarything, it's great!

Also, there's a downloadable one, called eLibPro which I tried but found it too difficult, compared to librarything.

I use dreamweaver and make myself a list in Html format. I would imagine you could make a list in Word though. Just make a table with the date you finished reading the book, author, title, page count.. anything you're interested in. You can save it as an html file and even make it a web page.

I have recently started organizing my library in Access, but I'm going to check out the links others have posted.

That would be cool if we had something like that on TBF, where you could see it in a person's profile. Perhaps a random list of a given user would appear on the front page every time you logged on as well. Just a thought.

Yeah that'd be a great idea. Like when you enter your currently reading, it kinda stores them, and you can tick boxes to say if you didn't complete it etc, and maybe give it a rating, or write a review, and it would do fancy statistics for you.

:D :D

resurrected for listal question

I can't seem to find an easy way to use listal. In librarything you just type in your title and a list comes up to tick one off. At listal I only seem to be able to browse through thousands of pages of entries and tick them off that way. And I can't even skip through the hundreds of pages I've already ticked. While I'm not pure idiot, I often overlook the obvious, so maybe someone can clue me in, out of pure kindness, if not pity. I just cringe to think of the time I'll be wasting if I keep trying to add to my list.

Frazy.com

I use Frazy.com and love it, love it, love it! It's so much better than an Excel Spreadsheet.

You can give books/movies/music a rating out of 5, write comments on it, see what everyone else reads.. And it has pictures!

I tried using All Consuming but found that too tiresome. Also, Frazy even lists South African authors. Even Koos Kombuis! Have a look at my signature, the My Favourite Books link will take you to my page. I really think it's fabulous.

I can't seem to find an easy way to use listal. In librarything you just type in your title and a list comes up to tick one off. At listal I only seem to be able to browse through thousands of pages of entries and tick them off that way. And I can't even skip through the hundreds of pages I've already ticked. While I'm not pure idiot, I often overlook the obvious, so maybe someone can clue me in, out of pure kindness, if not pity. I just cringe to think of the time I'll be wasting if I keep trying to add to my list.

I would recommend posting your worries on the Development section of the forums there (in the groups section). The LibraryThing system was much easier to use, I agree, but I just add my books by ISBN most of the time now.

Kenny Shovel guided me through the process to add a 'thing' to my favorites that I can access from amazon for adding books to either my books wanted or books owned list at listal. I only got it to work on firefox though. Don't ask me how it worked, but maybe he can jump in on this one..

I've had listal now for about a week. I like it, it's just that I wish I had something faster. I really rather prefer a program for books that is not dependent on the internet. Because I have so many books (I have too many to even mention the number) and it would take alot of work I would fear something happen and all that hard work wasted. I checked out all the sites listed above, I'm most impressed with LibraryThing. Did someone say you can only have 200 books listed? I took the tour and it said something about being able to view your list from your cell phone, that would be handy in a bookstore. Has anyone done that?

Thanks to those who addressed my inquiry, ABC and tartan_skirt. I'm on my way to work, but wanted to thank you personally and will attend later to the details. Thanks again.

I would recommend posting your worries on the Development section of the forums there (in the groups section). The LibraryThing system was much easier to use, I agree, but I just add my books by ISBN most of the time now.

I'll probably do this in a week and a half when my work schedule eases up a bit.:rolleyes: :)

I really like to keep track of the books I've read/bought to read, but if I ever lost one of my books that I write in I want something as backup... so I just registered on Library Thing and discovered this. As a free user you can only have an online "library" of 200 books. Now, for me it would be full as soon as I got all my books on there and I don't really want to have to pay to do this. So I was thinking, does anyone use any other sites to keep track of their books? I found one completely free site called Listal, but have yet to sign up. It lets you keep track of dvds, music and games as well as books, but it is beta testing.

For anyone who doesn't know of either of these sites, here are the links:

I'd appreciate suggestions and/or opinions and experiences with any book listing site. :)
Tartan Skirt: Realize yours was an old post but thanks so much for the info on LibraryThing. Went straight to the site and entered the last few books I've read. Will go back and make it comprehensive at some time(s). "Lost" this website forever - think it's been renamed. So many of the threads are so old. Used to read and contribute to: 'currently reading' and found it a tremendous help in deciding what to read.. introduced me to some fabulous authors, but now I see it is closed. Which of the Forums would you recommend now? By the way, where will you be going to university?

Tartan Skirt: Realize yours was an old post but thanks so much for the info on LibraryThing. Went straight to the site and entered the last few books I've read. Will go back and make it comprehensive at some time(s). "Lost" this website forever - think it's been renamed. So many of the threads are so old. Used to read and contribute to: 'currently reading' and found it a tremendous help in deciding what to read.. introduced me to some fabulous authors, but now I see it is closed. Which of the Forums would you recommend now? By the way, where will you be going to university?

Glad to know it helped. :)

As an alternative to the "Currently Reading" topic you could try Recently Purchased and the monthly threads on what people have read in the past month. Heres March Reads. Hope that helps!

Oh, and I'm going to Glasgow for university. :)

Back