• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Oprah's new book club title . . .

Ashlea

Is Anna Karenina. I swear. Wal-mart was chock full of copies.

If she can pull this one off, she has my unwavering respect.

Do you think that it's actually her choosing the books she does? And if it is her, does she really like them???

From what I hear, she makes all the decisions herself, based on what she likes. Picked this one because she wanted to read it, evidently.

Once she got started, authors were really pushing to get theirs chosen (or their publishers were.) But she's been just picking the ones she likes.

Lots of interesting choices - NOT what would be chosen if she'd left it up to a committee of marketers.

The only good thing I have to say about AK is that it's 1/3 the size of W & P. I think I read it when I too young to realy enjoy it or something, because it is NOT a book I would ever want to read again.

I'm sure many of you have read East of Eden by Steinbeck. I've been wanting to read it for awhile, and I just would like some feedback on it. Some have said it drags, but I'm interested. Thanks. :)

samh5 said:
I'm sure many of you have read East of Eden by Steinbeck. I've been wanting to read it for awhile, and I just would like some feedback on it. Some have said it drags, but I'm interested. Thanks. :)

In my opinion, it's one of the best books you'll ever read. Yes, it has it's slow moments, but don't let that keep you from reading it.

{Tigress} said:
In my opinion, it's one of the best books you'll ever read. Yes, it has it's slow moments, but don't let that keep you from reading it.

Awesome. Thank you. :)

Just a suggestion for all you who consider yourself serious about wanting to read this, get Constance Garnett's translation. (Hands down the best translations from Russian imo. Oprah's version is supposedly simplified and made to be more fluid, which I think should be a crime to mess with Tolstoy.
Anyway, I curse Oprah for these recent recommendations, as I work at Barnes and Noble. Lately we have endless numbers of people that sit around and watch Oprah all day and Mystery novels (not attacking, just saying easier reads) coming in and asking for the new Oprah book as if it's actually a newly written book. I proceed to begrudingly hand them Marquez or Tolstoy as they quickly thumb through and say something arbitrary like, "wow that's big", or "Oprah thinks this is gonna be good." IT'S A CLASSIC!!! People other than Oprah somewhere along the line have obviously noticed the author's talent! I then have to call my manager for a return from 90% of these people within a week as they cannot get through the first 100 pages of the books and claim that it wasn't what they thought it was going to be like, or it was boring!?!?!?! I proceed to have them beat and throw them out back, jk :p . But seriously, any of you serious about literature that want a good read from a Titan among authors, I recommend this book. G'day! ;)

Hey, if Oprah can motivate people to read, I'm all for it. Obviously our schools here are doing nothing but killing the reading spirit in 90% of students, who go on to become non-reading adults. At least she gets people to try things outside their comfort zones.

I worked at a bookstore for years, and I know it can be frustrating. But there's always that one customer whom you can make happy, and that really makes it worth it. Something has to, the pay stinks.

I don't know...

I know it's good she is getting people to go out and buy books... but is she getting them to READ them. Like the other poster said, 90 percent of them come back.

I don't know. Maybe it's just me. I find the concept of people sitting around with mouths open like sheep waiting for Opera to TELL them what to read. To TELL them what is a classic a little disturbing.

Better. Turn of the FEKing T.V. Go to the book store. Just read the backs. Decide what kind of books you think you will like and try to read them.

I just find it horrible that they sit around and need to be told what to read. What kind of world are we living in??????

But... maybe it's just me :)

SillyWabbit said:
I don't know. Maybe it's just me. I find the concept of people sitting around with mouths open like sheep waiting for Opera to TELL them what to read. To TELL them what is a classic a little disturbing.

Cheers! How about that glass of wine now?

SillyWabbit said:
I know it's good she is getting people to go out and buy books... but is she getting them to READ them. Like the other poster said, 90 percent of them come back.
But what about that 10% that didn't? I don't care who the messenger is if it gets people away from their tvs and into bookshops and libraries. Richard and Judy had (or have, I dunno) a book list too, and the BBC got so many people talking about books. There's definitely more interest in books recently since Harry Potter and the LOTR films. So what if Harry Potter is a kid's book and LOTR wasn't the same as the books? It's got people reading again. People that haven't read since they were forced to at school are realising that reading can be fun.

I've certainly noticed more bookshops, and more people in the bookshops and more special offers on books recently. And if telly was the course then well done telly.

Speaking of which I actually had a person come in yesterday and ask if they had made a book out of that movie yet :D (Lord of the Rings)

True@1stLight said:
Speaking of which I actually had a person come in yesterday and ask if they had made a book out of that movie yet :D (Lord of the Rings)
Obviously, they would fall into the 90% bracket.

Litany said:
But what about that 10% that didn't?

Yes, it is nice meeting and helping that 10%. But then I ask myself why this 10% is listening to Oprah!! Eh, probably just my dissatisfaction with conforming to anything, especially something so Pop Culture.

I agree with Ashlea...at least she's getting that 10% who don't return the books to read. The school systems have managed to destroy the love of reading in almost everyone, even in many people who loved to read as children. Certainly I would like it if more people went out and decided to read on their own without the influence of Oprah, but for many people nothing else seems to be working. And perhaps once she gets them started, some of those people will start going to the bookshop without a recommendation from Oprah...maybe they'll relearn to enjoy the pleasures of reading.

I think it is sad that so many people don't even read at all anymore. I would love to discover other ways to encourage people to read....but it seems rather difficult to actually make people realize that reading is fun.

Litany, you're right about there being more books out there, which argues that there is more reading going on. The book and magazine section of discount and grocery stores even has gotten huge and more varied in just the last few years. I certainly don't watch Oprah, I haven't read most of the books she's picked, but I respect that she isn't expecting the worst of her audience. She isn't assuming that they don't read,and she isn't picking drivel or self help. Especially when you're in retail, it is very easy to think the worst of the standard person out there, and maybe everyone isn't ready for hard classics, but even if they try and fail, they've expanded their horizons a little bit.

Ashlea said:
I certainly don't watch Oprah, I haven't read most of the books she's picked, but I respect that she isn't expecting the worst of her audience. She isn't assuming that they don't read,and she isn't picking drivel or self help. Especially when you're in retail, it is very easy to think the worst of the standard person out there, and maybe everyone isn't ready for hard classics, but even if they try and fail, they've expanded their horizons a little bit.

That's exactly how I feel.

Back