• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Oprah's new book club title . . .

I'll concede that I will accept any kind of education as good education, and will therefore not say that I think it is a bad thing that people are coming to by the book. Therefore, the result of the book club may admittedly be a good thing. But I refuse to acknowledge people that conform so much to pop culture as to take their reading advice from a talk show host that has recieved lypo numerous times. :cool:

the oprah book club label does make me notice tho. its why i bought The Poisonwood Bible and A Million Little Pieces. i read White Oleander w/out knowing that it had the label. i also read midwives b/c it had the label, and it was memorable even though a tad dry sometimes.

I find it unsettling in the idea itself how much control she can excert over the american book market and a large enough chunk of the population but thankfully so far it appears to be used for good(40 foot mech warrior bots on the cover of time by 07 due to Oprah,i aint ruling it out)

I'll get my coat.......

I actually will usually dodge a book that has the Oprah book club label on it. My hubby will taunt me "Oh... you're reading Oprahs chick lit now?". I have read a few of them but not because Oprah said so. I just hate the idea that the little label on the book suddenly tells people "Look!! Oprah said I'm good! pick me!" Begrudgingly, I must admit, the Oprah books I have read I have enjoyed immensely and.... *gulp*..... the woman does not have bad taste in books. I read The Poisonwood Bible, She's Come Undone (Before it was picked), and White Oleander.

I never knew White Oleander was an Oprah book until WoundedThorns mentioned it above. I'm sure I may have read others but I don't even know all the books on her lists. I only know if the book itself is labeled, as I almost never watch Oprah.

I think the Oprah book club is a good idea. It exposes non-readres in America to books. Not just fluff books either, but these books have real merit to them. Even if people return them, or if it is the only thing they read, or if they only read because Oprah says. The point is they read. Maybe that one book will make them think that if they enjoyed this book, they must just enjoy another.

I've read a couple of books that were Oprah's picks, but purely by accident. They had been on my TBR list and I only knew they were her picks because I saw the label on the covers when I pulled them off the shelf.

I have to agree with scottishduffy:
I think the Oprah book club is a good idea. It exposes non-readres in America to books. Not just fluff books either, but these books have real merit to them. Even if people return them, or if it is the only thing they read, or if they only read because Oprah says. The point is they read. Maybe that one book will make them think that if they enjoyed this book, they must just enjoy another.

I have no problem with Oprah's picks either way. I do know I'm not gonna avoid the likes of Faulkner, Steinbeck and Tolstoy just because the Oprah army has been told to read it.

I also have to disagree with the person above who says that the Constance Garnett translations are superior to more recent translations, particularly Pevear and Volokhonsky. I can't say that either is a more precise translation but Pevear and Volokhonsky is a far more fluid and prettier read. Not necessarily more or less difficult but more enjoyable for sure.

Rumour has it ms. winfrey is getting ready to make her next selection, so i thought i'd regurgitate this thread.

My take on it is kinda hot/cold. i'm not too hot on most of the picks. the descriptions just don't 'do it' for me, and thus i've not read many of them. I have enjoyed (mostly previously) the classics she's chosen, specifically east of eden, and i will plead guilty to reading "million little pieces" without disliking it. Night, well... that one goes without saying...

but what's next? where will she go from here? will I care?
i don't know.

I've found a few books I've enjoyed from her picks, but I wouldn't jump to read something just because Oprah's name is connected somehow. I think she's done a good thing by getting people to read and discuss books, so I won't put her down. If by her endorsement, she causes someone to read outside their comfort zone, then more power to her.

Back