• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Other choices...(bit of a rant)

claybugg

Much to my dismay, all the fuss over the 2008 election has started early. All you can hear is talk of Obama or Clinton, Giuliani or McCain. Depressing. I see no difference in these canidates. I ask:

Would you ever consider voting for someone other than a Republican or Democrat for the office of President. (or in my case, refuse to vote altogether)?

You are "supposed" to vote for the person that represents your personal interests, and I highly doubt that either of the two major parties represent your interests (unless of couse, you're rich). The vast majority of people get distracted by the popular, yet minor and nearly irrelevent issues like abortion and gay marriage (these are meant to distract you), so they vote for one of two nearly identical corporate sponsored canidates who have no problems with starting wars, stripping away civil liberties, ruining the environment, helping corporations put profits over people, and just altogether being despicable people - all for money and power.

Every President in recent history has failed the American people. Republicans and Democrats have sold out the country, and it's time for a change. I ask that you mark a different name on the ballot or, if your interests aren't represented at all, refuse a ballot. Would anyone ever consider this?

I totally agree. I've actually been looking through other parties to see if I agree with any of their ideas, but I can't settle on anything.

But America is too focused on its two-party system, and for no good reason. Britain has a multi-party system, and while I admit I know nothing about British politics, I'm sure the people are happy to have more choices than black and white in their politics, which is a huge problem here.

If any candidate from any party showed some promise, I'd be the first to mark his name down on the ballot. But lack of information to the rest of the American people will guarantee that no one from any of our other parties will ever be elected. We do need a change, and fast.

I'm a registered democrat, though I've voted for members of all parties. In working with campaigns in college, I got to see a number of good democrats and worked hard for a few. A few others were worthless and when it was time to vote, I voted for the republican incumbent. There are some good moderate republicans out there who tell it like it is and who are very honest. Hagel's commentary on the war is a prime example of this. My parents voted for Perot in '92 and I voted for him in '96. I've also voted for libertarian candidates and believe that they are a solid party with many excellent points. Four years ago, I helped a republican run for county sheriff where I live. To me, party lable isn't as important as what the person believes. Even if someone has one or two main points I don't like, that doesn't disqualify them for my vote.

Britain has a multi-party system, and while I admit I know nothing about British politics, I'm sure the people are happy to have more choices than black and white in their politics, which is a huge problem here.

Every political system has its flaws. While you hear more different voices in a multi-party system you dont necessarily see any effect of them. To create change you need to get support for it. Its harder to get a dominating position in a multi-party system, and then you need to compromise. So in the end while the names change you wont necessarily see any big changes in the actual politics.

I'd be more concerned with how you handle the financial support for campaigns.

One thing is sure though, even if you think you only have the choice between bad and worse its better to vote than not.

I totally agree. I've actually been looking through other parties to see if I agree with any of their ideas, but I can't settle on anything.

But America is too focused on its two-party system, and for no good reason. Britain has a multi-party system, and while I admit I know nothing about British politics, I'm sure the people are happy to have more choices than black and white in their politics, which is a huge problem here.

If any candidate from any party showed some promise, I'd be the first to mark his name down on the ballot. But lack of information to the rest of the American people will guarantee that no one from any of our other parties will ever be elected. We do need a change, and fast.
I don't think that it is just America that has this problem - it exists here in NZ as well. I know a lot of people who supported one of the "minor" parties last election, but didn't vote for them as they saw it as a "wasted vote because they aren't going to get in anyway" :rolleyes:. I think that government policies would be so much better if there was competition from more than one other party, but people over here can't seem to think outside the two-party square.

(The two major parties over here are Labour and National, by the way ;) )

I've also voted for libertarian candidates and believe that they are a solid party with many excellent points.

I do like a lot of the Libertarian party's platform, but I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that they want to remove all Government regulation of markets, letting corporations go unchecked, which I don't see working for anyone's benefit.

By the way, this great article was just posted today. I didn't think it was worth creating a new topic.
http://www.dissidentvoice.org/Feb07/Zingh13.htm

I don't think that it is just America that has this problem - it exists here in NZ as well. I know a lot of people who supported one of the "minor" parties last election, but didn't vote for them as they saw it as a "wasted vote because they aren't going to get in anyway" :rolleyes:.

According to Wikipedia, New Zealand uses a similar mixed member proportional representation system like the Scottish Parliament. I tend to think it's a better system as we do have more of the minor parties getting a say in the nation's politics.

So do you get to vote at a polling place like we do? And do you have to endure lots of badly produced commercials for the issues and candidates? :rolleyes: From your Wiki link:

"There is some evidence that many Scottish voters did not understand the implications of the system, and that substantial voter education may be required."

It seems very confusing. I can't handle more than two parties; it's difficult enough to suss out what's going on with all the shenanigans and candidates in just the two major ones. But I always vote, even if there isn't anyone particularly voteworthy running. How often do you elect your decision makers?

According to Wikipedia, New Zealand uses a similar mixed member proportional representation system like the Scottish Parliament. I tend to think it's a better system as we do have more of the minor parties getting a say in the nation's politics.
Yeah, this is what happens here. I thought that voting for an MP for your region as well as an overall party vote was what was done everywhere around the world :eek:.

The minor parties also get a say in the form of alliances with the major parties - because the seats in Parliament reflect the proportion of the country that voted for each party, and the votes for the two major parties are usually very close, alliances with the minor parties are needed to tip the majority either way. In other words, one of the major parties could get less votes than the other but still have a majoroty in Parliament by allying with other minor parties. The alliance system is a big part of the elections over here.

America's "winner take all" system of government basically establishes a two party system. If we had proportional representation, we would have one or two libertarians and perhaps a green in the house of representatives. An interesting innovation is instant run-off voting. To see how it operates(with muppets) click here. :)

America's "winner take all" system of government basically establishes a two party system.

Which, is what we've pretty much always had. If you look back throughout American history you will see that more than two parties have never been able to flourish at a time. As a new party came into power an older party would lose power and eventually be absorbed or dismantled.

Back