• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Other possible names for 'General Chat'.

Ahh, well you're easily pleased. I check up on all these sites people link to in the sigs and so forth, keeps the essay boredom at bay. Sometimes.

Anyway, I might tack my comments on the end of novella's thread, seems a more appropriate place.

SillyWabbit said:
Amazing how some people really have nothing better to do than hunt and search around for dirt and then stir it up. Isn't it all just a little sad? :)

IF it's true... You know, maybe Martin just liked the way the review was written and thought it expressed perfectly what he was thinking so just used it. Is it really such a huge crime??? It's not like he is making money out of it.

Dragging back on topic....

Not sure about a new name. Will come back on this one!

My reply on the plagiarism thead goes into more detail, but I will just say here that Martin invited it, with his self-aggrandizing attitude on another thread this morning, and I just took a look. Took no time at all.

I was not searching around for dirt. Martin pointed to the dirt and said, go take a sniff. My dirt is better than yours. It just happened to be stolen dirt and did not smell so fresh.

You can make excuses for him, but as a writer I like to be certain that my work is not lifted uncredited and claimed as original by another person. It's very very easy to provide links to external reviews, isn't it?

BTW, why do you doubt the veracity? The links go directly to the copied reviews. You can verify what I'm saying all by yourself.

I find it really sad that you went out of your way to search for dirt on Martin. You found his attitude irritating? Who are you to decide that you should run him into the dirt because YOU don't like him. Are you God? I don't find anything wrong with his attitude and IF I did then I would not be so sad and vindictive to search out dirt on somebody. You have NOTHING better to do?

There are people that I don't like. Do I go out of my way to hurt them?

Vindictive. Spiteful, and sad.

I hope you are ashamed of yourself.

SillyWabbit said:
I find it really sad that you went out of your way to search for dirt on Martin. You found his attitude irritating? Who are you to decide that you should run him into the dirt because YOU don't like him. Are you God? I don't find anything wrong with his attitude and IF I did then I would not be so sad and vindictive to search out dirt on somebody. You have NOTHING better to do?

There are people that I don't like. Do I go out of my way to hurt them?

Vindictive. Spiteful, and sad.

I hope you are ashamed of yourself.
I find it sad that this is the type of respons to a serious accusation, there is no real respons, just attacks on the person coming forth with it. I don't have anything against Martin, I actully like him, but this should be taken serious by the moderators.

Sorry for buggin in Novella.

hay82 said:
I find it sad that this is the type of respons to a serious accusation, there is no real respons, just attacks on the person coming forth with it. I don't have anything against Martin, I actully like him, but this should be taken serious by the moderators.

Sorry for buggin in Novella.

i think wabbit was reacting emotionally which to me is a sign that he cares about the people on this forum and i think it is a good thing. just because our method of communication is a machine doesn't mean we have to behave like one.
as to the accusations,(my god am i on law and order?) i do feel that they could have been handled privately. even if stewarts ego was bruised by martins comments, serious accusations should always be dealt with privately initially. anything else is tacky and at the level of malicious tabloids. bad form.

Well the obvious way to rectify the situation would be to include the link to the original at the end of the review, then there is no case for plagiarism as it would be properly referenced.

However, I do agree that this matter should have been brought to attention privately :(

jenngorham said:
i think wabbit was reacting emotionally which to me is a sign that he cares about the people on this forum and i think it is a good thing. just because our method of communication is a machine doesn't mean we have to behave like one.
as to the accusations,(my god am i on law and order?) i do feel that they could have been handled privately. even if stewarts ego was bruised by martins comments, serious accusations should always be dealt with privately initially. anything else is tacky and at the level of malicious tabloids. bad form.
I do have the belief that he as a moderator shouldn't respond in that way, but Novella probably should have handled it privately. Just thought wabbit's respons wasn't appropriate for someone with moderator in his title.

jenngorham said:
even if stewarts ego was bruised by martins comments
Bruised? Me? No way! I don't write reviews because I can't be bothered. Martin doesn't write reviews because others have already written the words he intended to write.

I don't think you can even put a link to the source review as they are copyrighted by their respective authors. A quote, yes, you could reference the author, but lifting chunks out of the text is a different kettle of fish.

I find the attitude shown in response to novella's findings disheartening - and to have replies from a moderator passing his negative opinions on her (i.e. I find it really sad that you went out of your way to search for dirt on Martin) when novella has already explained her reason for exploring the reviews shows a complete lack of understanding.

The guy has has boasted about the quantity of "his" reviews and, when novella looked, found them to be not of his writing standard. He invited it upon himself and to be found out as a plagiarist is deserving of him.

Unfortunately, the only punishment I can see here is a kiss on the cheek from his peers and a friendly spanking as they all wear All hail Martin! T-shirts. That's what happens in that hidden forum, isn't it? Go on, admit it! :D

"Other possible names for 'General Chat'."

The Pit

The Gutter

The Toilet

The Dump

Bollocks Boutique

Barfatorium

The Graveyard (The Boneyard - alternative)

(everything eventually ends up either in the toilet, the dump, or the graveyard, and all threads eventually die)

Backroom Bullshit

With Guarded Breath

Romperroom

Child's Play

The Playground

Forum Flatulance

I like General Chat. It speaks of rank. It IS rank.

Like Colonel Blowhard or Lieutenant Verbiage. Keeps people in line. Haha.

Names

Could we have some fun acronym?

MAD – Mostly Addled Drivel?
BARF – Bad Ass Reader’s Forum?
CHUCK – Can’t Hide Under Copious Kitsch?

Anyone else?

Back