• Welcome to BookAndReader!

    We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

    Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Paulo Coelho

wilderness

New Member
I recently baught his book, The Zahir, and am VERY excited to start it!
has anyone read any of his novels?

Lani
 

clueless

New Member
My opinion about Coelho is in the most overhyped books thread, where I advised Stewart not to read the Alchemist. He didn't listen.:(
 

Stewart

Active Member
I had bought it over a year before and, after giving up on it for being crap twice, I thought I'd spend a morning reading it to get it out of the way. It was just poor; I doubt the guy's ability to write and have heard tell of Brazilians saying he is an embarrassment to Brazilian literature.
 

clueless

New Member
He is. They have quite a few good writers that don't make it abroad, while that crap is in the bestsellers lists everywhere.
 

Stewart

Active Member
It's probably his extremely simple prose (suitable for six year olds) that contributes to his hype, implying anyone can pick it up without finding it a difficult read or challenging in any way.
 

Morty

New Member
I've read a few of his Coelho's novels, including The Alchemist and The Pilgrimage. They were both quite enjoyable, but I would never insist that anyone really read them. Perhaps except The Pilgrimage in case you are interested in actually taking that trip in Spain.

I generally think he's very repetitive, too spiritual for my taste, and at times I get the impression he writes only for the sake of earning money (11 Minutes and The Zahir, I have heard, are absolutely terrible).
 

Sabenankh

New Member
Well here goes: in my country everybody loves his books...it's a "must read" people go...ah... you haven't read Coelho..ahh...:rolleyes: . I've read most of his books except for his last one... El zahir i think it's called ...i actually did read the beginning of the first chapter on his site but it felt a bit too "deja-vu" and i stopped. I think "The Alquimist" was good, i think it was probably the best...but the rest felt a bit too repetitive...too on the same pattern... I really look forward to hearing what you think!
 

ilusyonada

New Member
i've read "the alchemist" and "by the river piedra" and partly some of his other books. i liked "the alchemist", i liked the story.

regarding " by the river piedra"...
my best friend told me the story reminded her of me, mmm still trying to figure that one out.
 

Sabenankh

New Member
ilusyonada said:
i've read "the alchemist" and "by the river piedra" and partly some of his other books. i liked "the alchemist", i liked the story.

regarding " by the river piedra"...
my best friend told me the story reminded her of me, mmm still trying to figure that one out.
hahaha i got that with "Veronica decides to die" which is quite unusual cos i have never been a pesimist, only a bit jaded here and there but yeah... who knows?
 

Sabenankh

New Member
Hmmmm... i wonder... does this work on the principle "if you have nothing good to say about something, say nothing at all"?
Come on, guys, gimme some juice here!
He's famous he sells milions of books worldwide... you've got to have something to say about him!:)
 

G4G

New Member
Sabenankh said:
Hmmmm... i wonder... does this work on the principle "if you have nothing good to say about something, say nothing at all"?
Come on, guys, gimme some juice here!
He's famous he sells milions of books worldwide... you've got to have something to say about him!:)

Well, ok: I think he's poor, mind you, I've only read one of his books, but that was enough. The Alchemist. It seemed dry, too basic and childishly written. IMO. :)
 

clueless

New Member
CDA said:
Well, ok: I think he's poor, mind you, I've only read one of his books, but that was enough. The Alchemist. It seemed dry, too basic and childishly written. IMO. :)
Idem. ...........
 

wilderness

New Member
I just bought his new book, The Zahir, and made a post about it to get peoples feedback on him...and it was all negative and I havent had the courage to pick up the book!! I was sooo excited about the book, I had already developed very high expectations. I expected this really deep, moving and compelling novel about love and life. But yer...I donno! I'm scared to read it now!

I will soon though...after exams.

Lani
 

Peder

Well-Known Member
I was quite disappointed in the Alchemist.
I heard that story before, under a different title, different author. It must be one of the 7 basic plots that were mentioned here a day or so ago.
Peder
 

Morty

New Member
I have mixed feelings about Mr.Coelho.

On one hand, both The Alchemist and The Pilgrimage were somewhat enjoyable books. If I was a little more into spirits and Arabic legends I assume I would've enjoyed them more, but they weren't bad. But then he also writes books seemingly only to earn money, at least not because he has anything meaningful to say. 11 Minutes is an example of this, as it portrays love in a fashion similar to a Hollywood movie.

I don't intend reading anymore of his books anytime soon. I don't really take him seriously enough.
 

Sabenankh

New Member
Hahaha... thanks a lot!!! That's better... i really thought i wouldn't find ppl that felt the same and although i did like "The alchemist" ( Peder could you be so kind as to give me the name of that other book you read on the subject) I also think his other books are rather weak and written according to the same pattern that sold the first time... hmmm well i always thought that his books were more or less books that made people who didn't read so much or weren't very smart feel as if they were.
 

Peder

Well-Known Member
Sabenankh said:
Hahaha... thanks a lot!!! That's better... i really thought i wouldn't find ppl that felt the same and although i did like "The alchemist" ( Peder could you be so kind as to give me the name of that other book you read on the subject) I also think his other books are rather weak and written according to the same pattern that sold the first time... hmmm well i always thought that his books were more or less books that made people who didn't read so much or weren't very smart feel as if they were.
Sabenankh,Actually it was "Acres of Diamonds" by Dale Carnegie, but I think you'll have a tough time finding it today. It goes back a bit, to his day, originally maybe in the '30s.
It was the 'same' in the sense that only the names and some plot details were changed, but when I got to the end of Alchemist I almost groaned out loud, the ending was so familiar! I really wanted my money back.
Peder
 

Sabenankh

New Member
Thank you very much Peder, I'll try to get that although it may be hard as you said... but i want to get the"original":)
 
Top