• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Paulo Coelho

To be fair to Coelho, apparently that quote about having a duty not to be understood by his own generation is something he said as a teenager, shortly before being committed to a mental hospital. And as Paulo Coelho was a teenager a very long time ago, I'm not sure if it's an argument he'd make today.

I loved the article's summary of Every Paulo Coelho Book Ever Written, though.
"Thraknar and Pablo" is a thrilling tale by internationally best-selling author Paul Coelho about a pair of friends who journey to the farthest deserts and tundras to find the Universal Mystery of Nature. Along the way they encounter Portia, a singing whale with a banjo, who reveals to them the spiritual secrets that they always had inside them but lacked the faith to read. But, before they can find the mystical path to the Ultimate Answer of Love, they must brave many adventures and overcome the most dangerous obstacle to enlightenment and renewal: themselves. (Set to Peter Gabriel’s “Solsbury Hill”)

Condensed, that fits the back-cover blurb of many a book beside Coelho's.

It should; it's a parody of The-One-Story plot.

According to Ali Smith:
"A story is its style. A style is its story..."

Well, I think that is wrong, and it is simpler than that.

I think the "story" (or plot) is the "what" is being told.

And the "style" is the "how" the story is being told.

At least it is simpler for me to understand matters that way. Which is part of a way of dissecting what one is looking at according to the well-known "Who, what, when, why, where, how."

But that might boil the obscurantism of Ali Smith's article down to almost nothing and leave no article.

Anyway, that's what I think. Right or wrong. (rightly or wrongly ? :) )

But who am I to disagree with Ali Smith, etc, etc?

its been a while since I read one of his books. And to be honest I can't remember which one it was. I have a bunch on my reader which I keep meaning to get to but other more appealing books (in the moment) keep pushing their way to the head of the queue like unruly children.

I read The Alchemist by Paul Coelho and was very disappointed. The writing is very simple and the story seems to be more to do with self-help than an interesting plot.

He isn't my type of author, but The Alchemist has done very well so I guess there is a market out there for this type of story. I had a quick look at the blurb of Manuscript of Accra and it sounds like the same sort of thing.

Have you read any of Paul Coelho's previous works? If you enjoyed them, I imagine you will enjoy Manuscript of Accra.

Could you write what is the meaning of this book? I can find none, but maybe I pay too much attention to wrong aspects. How do you think, what are Coehlo's views on happiness?

Where exactly do you see such a huge Coehlo's influence?

I have read The Alchemist as well and I liked it so much! As from my point of view author highlights that love is the main thing in our life. This is a feeling that leads to happiness and makes the world better. The better we are the better world around us is. When you are in love or you are full of this feeling no matter to Who or What - we become happier and world looks better. The more love, kindness and good things we express, the more peaceful world is.

Back