• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

PC World: Pitfalls of E-book buying

SFG75

Not a bad article. I have quickly learned that cheaper download are more likely to have a jumbled, and less organized structure.:sad:

Perhaps but that's no reason why it should be that way.

You can buy a MP3 off of iTunes or Amazon or wherever you want and it will play in any MP3 player. I don't see why the expectation for the same from an eReader should eb any different.

On the plus side, we have conversion software.

You can buy a MP3 off of iTunes or Amazon or wherever you want and it will play in any MP3 player. I don't see why the expectation for the same from an eReader should eb any different.
Exactly. If people were told that DVDs bought in one store could only be watched on DVD players bought at the same store, everyone would think it was a joke.

On the plus side, we have conversion software.
Which forces users to become criminals in order to read books they've legally bought on devices they've legally bought. Easily cracked DRM is worse than no DRM at all, since it makes it easier to pirate stuff than to buy it.

... I don't see why the expectation for the same from an eReader should eb any different.

Wasn't arguing against the expectations for a better way of doing things; just adding a different viewpoint (sorry BG) from a marketplace that surely has many viewpoints. Or doesn't it? :confused:

Which forces users to become criminals in order to read books they've legally bought on devices they've legally bought. Easily cracked DRM is worse than no DRM at all, since it makes it easier to pirate stuff than to buy it.

Oh, I agree. I am not 100% sure but I think I read somewhere that some countries allow DRM to be circumvented by the user for this exact reason. Sadly, such a provision would never fly in the U.S.

As far as I'm concerned, if I have purchased the right to run a piece of media, I have no moral quandary with converting the media to a format that I can use.

Exactly. If people were told that DVDs bought in one store could only be watched on DVD players bought at the same store, everyone would think it was a joke.

This is why I'm dragging my heels about buying one of these gizmos. Another issue, If one of 'real' books is lost or stolen, I can replace it for a lot less than the cost of a Reader. While the price has come down, I'd still cry real tears if I had to replace one.

This is why I'm dragging my heels about buying one of these gizmos. Another issue, If one of 'real' books is lost or stolen, I can replace it for a lot less than the cost of a Reader. While the price has come down, I'd still cry real tears if I had to replace one.

One word: insurance.

An e-reader should be covered under your home owner's policy.

What kind of home owner's policy do you have that doesn't cover electronics? Or do I have an amazingly awesome one?

Haven't read it in a while. I do know it won't cover the trampoline someone gave us...so we banned all the neighbor kids.

Was that for replacement in case of theft or for liability when a neighbor kid knocks out three teef from landing on the ground instead of the trampoline?

Was that for replacement in case of theft or for liability when a neighbor kid knocks out three teef from landing on the ground instead of the trampoline?

Oh def, all about injuries and liability. One kid couldn't see the problem.."My parents would sue, but we'd still be friends!"

Seems to.
But OTOH, I never assumed I would be able to buy-anywhere play-anywhere with any proprietary e-reader I ever purchased, and I don't hear anyone advertising otherwise.

As long as the pirated version is much more user friendly i'll download that one instead.

Back