• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Perfect fit: Actors and Roles

Violanthe

We've all seen films or programs where the main characters were cast because the availability of a certain Hollywood star coincided with the production (and budget) of the film. But what filmic stories out there have truly captured good characters with good casting? What roles and actors (or actresses, of course) are a perfect fit on screen?

I could probably come up with many examples, but as I just saw the old BBC version of Pride & Prejudice again, I must say that Colin Firth IS Mr Darcy. The guy in the new Keira Knightly version doesn't even come close.

In pretty much every Robin Williams movie I've seen, he just seems perfect for the role. I don't know any other actor who could have pulled off his character in Jack or Patch Adams.

I must also say that Harrison Ford was the perfect Han Solo. None of the other actors seemed quite as perfect for their roles. It just was him.

pink shadow said:
I could probably come up with many examples, but as I just saw the old BBC version of Pride & Prejudice again, I must say that Colin Firth IS Mr Darcy. The guy in the new Keira Knightly version doesn't even come close.

i couldn't agree more! although i did love the kiss at the end and the way he said, over and over, mrs. darcy, mrs. darcy, mrs. darcy. i loved that scene!

The classic example is Clark Gable as Rhett Butler.
I believe the book was actually written with him in mind.
For the most part, if you get the feeling that an actor was born to play a role, it's a tribute to the actor.
I recently saw The Devil Wears Prada, and Meryl Streep could not have been more perfect in the role. But then, she always is.

Jack Nicholson in any role of a pompous, arrogant person. As Good As It Gets couldn't have been played better by anyone else. Though The Shining was eerily Jack like too.:eek:

Libre said:
The classic example is Clark Gable as Rhett Butler.
I believe the book was actually written with him in mind.
For the most part, if you get the feeling that an actor was born to play a role, it's a tribute to the actor.
I recently saw The Devil Wears Prada, and Meryl Streep could not have been more perfect in the role. But then, she always is.

As far as Gone with the wind is concerned, think Vivien Leigh IS Scarlett O'Hara, even more so than CG is Rhett.

I think that many of the actors, if not all, in GWTW were perfect for their roles. Can we really imagine anyone else portraying Mammy, Ashley, or even Melanie? Leslie Howard makes me fall for Ashley Wilkes!

I tried watching that terrible sequel Scarlett again and I just kept thinking how bad the story was and the actors just didn't seem right for their parts.

That reminds me of the eternal HP debate: Who makes a better Dumbledore? Richard Harris or... um, forgot the new guy's name.

Personally I like Harris better.

Fantasy Moon said:
I think that many of the actors, if not all, in GWTW were perfect for their roles. Can we really imagine anyone else portraying Mammy, Ashley, or even Melanie? Leslie Howard makes me fall for Ashley Wilkes!

I tried watching that terrible sequel Scarlett again and I just kept thinking how bad the story was and the actors just didn't seem right for their parts.

The worst part about Scarlett wasn't the actors (although they were beyond badly cast), it was that they played Love Hurts as the end song :eek: . Love hurts?:eek: To Scarlett?:eek: It completely ruined any ambiance they might have been able to get going.

The worst part about Scarlett wasn't the actors (although they were beyond badly cast), it was that they played Love Hurts as the end song

Did the song have these lyrics?

Love hurts, love scars, love wounds
And mars, any heart
Not tough or stong enough
To take a lot of pain, take a lot of pain
Love is like a cloud
Holds a lot of rain
Love hurts, ooh, ooh love hurts

I'm young, I know, but even so
I know a thing or two
And I learned from you
I really learned a lot, really learned a lot
Love is like a flame
It burns you when it's hot
Love hurts, ooh, ooh love hurts

If so, that's an odd choice of music for a film set in the mid-to-late 1800's.

Oh, back to the topic. I recently watched The Big Lebowski and thought Jeff Bridges was perfect as The Dude. I couldn't pick a better actor to play that character, and I'm not sure I can watch him in any other roles without thinking "Hey, it's the Dude".

Fantasy Moon said:
That reminds me of the eternal HP debate: Who makes a better Dumbledore? Richard Harris or... um, forgot the new guy's name.

Personally I like Harris better.
oh, by far harris is better! he fits the description in the book so much better. he is supposed to be so old and have this quiet wisdom about him and i just don't get that with gambon (i think that is his last name). when i read the books, i only see harris in my mind's eye. i just can't get used to the other one. it makes me sad every time i see him. he just isn't dumbledore!

pink shadow said:
The worst part about Scarlett wasn't the actors (although they were beyond badly cast), it was that they played Love Hurts as the end song :eek: . Love hurts?:eek: To Scarlett?:eek: It completely ruined any ambiance they might have been able to get going.
Granted that there were many things left out in the film adaptation of GWTW, but Scarlett just went beyond it too, especially putting events in there that had no purpose. That was the end song? Ok, so I never waited to listen to the end really... ^^;;

I love how Rhett doesn't "force" himself on Anne, he just "compromises" her. Although I did kind of like the actor they got to play Father Collum.

Anamnesis said:
Did the song have these lyrics?

If so, that's an odd choice of music for a film set in the mid-to-late 1800's.

Oh, back to the topic. I recently watched The Big Lebowski and thought Jeff Bridges was perfect as The Dude. I couldn't pick a better actor to play that character, and I'm not sure I can watch him in any other roles without thinking "Hey, it's the Dude".

As far as I can remember it was the original version with Nazareth and the lyrics you mentioned. Odd indeed.

pink shadow said:
As far as I can remember it was the original version with Nazareth and the lyrics you mentioned. Odd indeed.
If I may have a music nerd moment: the original was by the Everly Brothers, recorded in 1960. It was then covered by Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris in 1973, and their version was apparently where Nazareth got it and turned it into one of the most annoying hard rock ballads ever. Search out Gram's and Emmylou's version, it shows what an incredibly beautiful song it really is...

Back