• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Philip Roth fans

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood what you were saying about why you didn't want to read it?
Anyway, no offense meant. I just thought you might have enjoyed it.

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood what you were saying about why you didn't want to read it?
I had thought the echoes from WWII would have been an obvious reason, not fear of future microchips. There was a time when one didn't have to so explicit in posting.

I didn't know that hew was an ardent liberal until I read Our Gang, which really wasn't an impressive piece of satire. The only memorable piece I remember from that work is how he mocked Spiro Agnew's tendency to use derisive terms that started with the same letter in a string of statements to the media. A lot of liberals enjoyed Plot and I've read more than a few articles about it being "masterful" for contrasting, expressly or not, the alleged power seeking proclivities of George W. Bush in their minds with the American Nazi Party. In the eyes of some, the months leading up to the Iraq invasion rank up there with the burning of the Reichstag and the Gulf of Tonkin incident. Roth's wikipedia page has a small section highlighting that while Roth was very political, that he didn't intend it as a criticism of the president and that what motivated him to write Plot, was Arthur Schlesinger's autobiography which pointed out the more radical movements in America at that time.

In the eyes of some, the months leading up to the Iraq invasion rank up there with the burning of the Reichstag and the Gulf of Tonkin incident.

As much as any, why I stay away from politics these days.

Back