1. Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Philosophy recommendations?

Discussion in 'Book Search & Suggestions' started by ballinglikeafool, Jun 23, 2015.

1. ballinglikeafool

ballinglikeafool New Member

I've been reading a bit of philosophy lately, and while I've enjoyed most of what I've read, some things have been more enjoyable than others.

I really enjoyed Thus Spoke Zarathustra, and I'm currently reading The Seducer's Diary and feeling the same. These examples differ from a lot of the other things that I've read in that they have a clear narrative, rather than simply discussing concepts.

I've tried finding recommendations based on lists like the ones that Goodreads populates based on a title, but it suggests anything remotely relevant and they typically don't tell a story as I'd like.

Can anyone suggest any philosophical works that also have a story element?

mohamed yakout likes this.
  2. Sufi

Sufi New Member

"The way of Trade" Tadao Yamaguchi - Short philosophical stories. I think you can find them on Amazon. Not sure if this is something you are looking for.

3. SFG75

SFG75 Well-Known Member

Currently Reading:
    The Road to Character; David Brooks
    Nicomachean Ethics by Aristotle. Definitely some great stuff there.

4. Peder

Peder Well-Known Member

I've just finished The Existential Café by Sarah Bakewell.
    It is a readable historical narrative of the development of modern existential philosophy -- which makes an interesting story line for getting up to speed in the area.

Also, you might add Plato's Republic to the Aristotle already mentioned.

5. Masana Masebenza

Masana Masebenza New Member