• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Philosophy recommendations?

I've been reading a bit of philosophy lately, and while I've enjoyed most of what I've read, some things have been more enjoyable than others.

I really enjoyed Thus Spoke Zarathustra, and I'm currently reading The Seducer's Diary and feeling the same. These examples differ from a lot of the other things that I've read in that they have a clear narrative, rather than simply discussing concepts.

I've tried finding recommendations based on lists like the ones that Goodreads populates based on a title, but it suggests anything remotely relevant and they typically don't tell a story as I'd like.

Can anyone suggest any philosophical works that also have a story element?

"The way of Trade" Tadao Yamaguchi - Short philosophical stories. I think you can find them on Amazon. Not sure if this is something you are looking for.

I've just finished The Existential Café by Sarah Bakewell.
It is a readable historical narrative of the development of modern existential philosophy -- which makes an interesting story line for getting up to speed in the area.

Also, you might add Plato's Republic to the Aristotle already mentioned.

Hello, if you wont to find out how the brain really works, what is the goal of the person and what he thinks, and also why he thinks what he thinks, then philosophy is just a nice fairy tale. Read it, yourself will understand))) THE BRAIN. WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT DEATH? By WILIAM STRONG

Https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0748MHVLS

The Existential Café by Sarah Bakewell.
modern existential philosophy
Good suggestion Peder !! Of the same author, I suggest »
How to Live : A Life of Montaigne in one question and twenty attempts at an answer
The Inner Philosopher, conversations on Philosophy.... -
Daisaku Ikeda, Lou Marinoff

Plato, Not Prozac ! Applying Philosophy to everyday problems - Lou Marinoff
Tetralogue : I'm right, You're wrong - Timothy Williamson

Last edited:
That's great Peder !! At least, I will already be able to say that someone else has read the same book that I also read :)
After 10 years in this forum, makes me happy that some
philosophical reads lets us to « symphilosophein» as would say Husserl...
At the Existentialist Café
i did read this a couple years ago and I loved it because Sarah Bakewell guides us through the basics of Existentialism - where it came from, how it worked, its background and the early sources of inspiration in Phenomenology and because furthemore, she also explores about the different relations between Professors/mentors with their disciples/students or with non-contemporary readers, that is, the human touch between philosophers such as: Husserl and Heidegger, Sartre and Beauvoir, Jaspers and Heidegger, Sartre and Husserl, Kierkegaard and Hegel, Sartre and Nietzsche, etc....although, some of these relations ended quite badly :confused:

P.S: About Montaigne for the moment, i'm not going to be so explicit..I'm going to respect your reading time..when you finish this book, we should begin to « symphilosophein » :D

Last edited:
Back