• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Playboy

In December 2005 issue: Lolita

Lolita at 50
In 1955 Vladimir Nabokov was forced by timorous publishers to look to France to print the novel that has become one of the great works of American Literature. On its Golden Anniversary, A symposium of formidable writers - including A.S. Byatt, Dmitri Nabokov and Paul Theroux - reflects on the scandal and the achievement that is Lolita.

Definitely looking forward to this issue. ;)

Has anyone else read this yet? It's a really interesting compilation of pieces from a number of different authors, academics and people who knew Nabokov. They talk about their experience with Nabokov and their first and lasting reading of Lolita. The reason for the piece is the 50th anniversary of the book's publication. In particular Dmitri Nabokov, Vladamir's son, writes a very interesting piece on his father and his first reaction to the book. I would have liked to hear from some other authors and academics who *don't* like the book, as I understand that in some academic circles the book is seen as 'overwritten'. I think this is still an important point to look at.

There are also a number of excerpts from the book incorporated into the pieces, and Lolita has now shot to the top of my TBR.

lenny nero said:
What?! No pics? :p The Nabakov discussion sounds interesting. I might have to pick this ish up.

Yeah, I wonder if the wife will buy the explanation.:p

SFG75 said:
Yeah, I wonder if the wife will buy the explanation.:p
I've bought a subscription for my boyfriend for the last 2 christmas', and I read more of it than he does. With no jest or sarcasm, the articles really *are* great! I'd ask her if she'd mind if you picked it up for the Nabokov article and give it to her to read as well. She might be surprised by the intellectual material inside - there are always some very interesting views on the American political situation. Sure, there's tits and bums and all the rest, but it's beautifully photographed and closer to art than smut, in my opinion.

Oh yes, I could get it if I were so inclined. When you are married, you tend to trust your spouse. If you are having someone dote over you, then what's the point? :D

Kook said:
and I read more of it than he does
Same here -as far as I know anyway.

My boyfriend just got the Dec. issue this past week. But I've yet to read the thing about "Lolita". I'll have to do that soon.

Lenny, don't forget to pick it up! ;)

December 2005 issue again

Games of the month: Xbox 360
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Perfect Dark Zero
Quake 4
Condemned: Criminal Origins
Dead or Alive 4
Call of Duty 2

Music:
Outkast, Willi Williams, Kenny Chesney, Rev. Horton Heat, Sheek Louch, Depeche Mode

DVD of the month:
King Kong (the original)

Movies-the best of the month:
King Kong
All the King's Men
The Producers
Walk the LIne
The Matador

I really wanted to get the nabokov related issue,i thought about subscribing to playboy but i fear it will dent my memory of myself as an 11 year old reading an extract from 3001 and playboy in general.

Has it gone down hill since 95/96 as far as articles etc are concerned?

Even that tho it was probly crap i just did not realise!

Hmm... I don't know - I particularly like the articles.
The Nabokov one was really good. If you'd like, sometime next week, I was going to get some quotes from the article and email 'em to a friend. I could PM you guys with some those quotes if you're interested. ;)

April 2006 Issue

April 2006 Issue
There wasn't a section for book reviews in this issue, but there's a really great article on comic books, graphic novels, and their translation into movies, television, etc.

Here are some of their suggestions when deciding to start a graphic novel:
  1. Black Hole by Charles Burns
  2. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller
  3. Ex Machina by Brian K. Vaughan (also, they suggest his Y: The Last Man)
  4. From Hell by Alan Moore & Eddie Campbell (I'm reading this now)
  5. The Invisibles by Grant Morrison
  6. Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron by Daniel Clowes (who also wrote Ghost World)
  7. Love & Rockets by Jaime & Gilbert Hernandez
  8. Maus I & II by Art Spiegelman
  9. 100 Bullets by Brian Azarello
  10. The Quitter by Harvey Pekar ("antihero of American Splendor")
  11. Safe Area Gorazde by Joe Sacco
  12. The Sandman by Neil Gaiman (Playboy suggests you start with Brief Lives - I don't. The Sandman is definitely one of my favorite stories (top 3!) and I loved it from the beginning. I suggest you start from the first.)
  13. Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis & Darick Robertson
  14. Watchmen by Alan Moore

continued... Comics and our culture

April 2006 issue (same article as above)
"Of Maus and Supermen:
How a Band of Marginalized Literary Lunatics Started a Revolution in Popular Culture"
by Robert Levine and Scott Alexander
Article mentions (that may not be listed above):

Comics in movies mentioned:
  1. V for Vendetta
  2. SpiderMan
  3. Batman
  4. A History of Vilence
  5. American Splendor
  6. Ghost World
  7. From Hell
  8. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
  9. Sin City

Comic-book-influenced films:
  1. Kill Bill
  2. Spy Kids

Comic-book-inspired television hits
(they follow the comic book formula):
  1. Smallville
  2. The Simpsons
  3. The X-Files
  4. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  5. 24
  6. Lost

Writers:
  1. Michael Chabon
  2. Jonathan Lethem
  3. Neil Gaiman
  4. Bruce Wagner
  5. Brad Meltzer
  6. Greg Rucka
  7. Alan Moore
  8. Marjane Satrapi
  9. Frank Miller
  10. Stan Lee
  11. Jack Kirby
  12. Robert Crumb
  13. Harvey Pekar
  14. Susanna Clarke (she "cites Watchmen as a favorite work,"

In Music:
  1. Gorillaz (animated by Jamie Hewlett)

Comics:
  1. Tank Girl (by Jamie Hewlett)
  2. Watchmen - Alan Moore
  3. Miracleman - Alan Moore
  4. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - Alan Moore
  5. Persepolis - Marjane Satrapi
  6. Sin City - Frank Miller
  7. Hulk
  8. Justice League
  9. Swamp Thing
  10. Ice Haven
  11. Superfolks - Robert Mayer
  12. Promethea - Alan Moore
  13. The Spirit - Will Eisner
  14. Preacher - Ennis & Dillon
  15. Ronin - Frank Miller

More places where you can see the comic influence:
  1. Video games
  2. Wrestling
  3. The New York Times

April 2007 - Rob Zombie

So, I mentioned "Rob Zombie's Grind House 101" in this thread (pg 2, post 26).

I'll repeat with more quotes:
"Rent these 5 classics before you see the Tarantino-Rodriguez blockbuster"

So, Zombie's 5:

1. Ilsa, She Wolfe of the SS (1975) - "It's intensely violent, & Nazis are unpleasant, but the sex element puts it over the top & makes it fun to watch. For Grindhouse I've directed a fake trailer for Werewolf Women of the SS." - Which Lenny & I know turned out to be disappointing.
2. Coffy (1973) - "Some films in the blaxploitation subgenre, lik Shaft or Super Fly, were big hits. I prefer the ones with Pam Grier & Sid Haig, and this is by far the best. It's Pam at the top of her game - the Afro didn't get any bigger."
3. The Last House on the Left (1972) - "It's a rape, murder and revenge story. Wes Craven directed it, but I don't consider it horror - to me, it's just pure grind house."
4. Cannibal Holocaust (1980) - "This is by far the most extreme movie ever made. It's just...sickening. I remember watching it in some gross theater, and I just couldn't believe what I was seeing."
5. Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! (1965) - "A lot of grind house is bad - bad movies made by bad filmmakers. But Russ Meyer was very talented. When people see his movies for the first time, they say, 'Holy s***, these are f***ing good.' Faster, Pussycat! was his crowning achievement, and it's his mildest film. It has no nudity. It's the Citizen Kane of grind house."

Back