• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Polish books

Beatrycze said:
Abulafia, maybe you will start learning Polish if you have already bought Słownik?

I can get by as it is. I can count in Polish (when I'm playing darts I revert to Polish as I lived with a Polish crew for 4 months just drinking, playing darts, with an occasional bit of work thrown in) and know a few other phrases too.

I just can't spell the words. I can write better Cyrillic Russian than I can Latin(ised) Polish. :D

e.g.

Am I getting this right?

Dzien dobry, Beatrycze
Ja nie Polsko; ja angielsko.
Cziec

:confused:

Abulafia said:
I just can't spell the words. I can write better Cyrillic Russian than I can Latin(ised) Polish.

Same here.

Oh, wait, no, both my Russian and Polish are poor to non-existent.

Nice beginning, Abulafia :) Try more...
And Polish spelling isn't so difficult. Compared to English, is obvious. For example, in Polish o is always o, in English o in "enough", "go", "to", "Tom" is different sound.

I think it depends on what you're coming from. Polish might not be that difficult for people who speak one of the other "eastern european" languages, but for someone who's, say, Chinese or Dutch, it's not that easy.

Such an old topic! Joseph Conrad said, that he couldn't write in other language, than english. But he was proud of being Pole. [Conrad is his 2nd name. His surname is Korzeniowski :p].
Jerzy Pilch is great writer. I'm addicted to his books. I didn't know, that his works were translated.
Sorry for digging up this topic.
EOT.

Can you tell us what the writing style of the Polish authors is? Is it close to all other eastern european literature or is it in any way unique?

IMO there's no such thing as Polish writing style. It depends on epoch, that book was written in.

Back