• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Pontiac/AquaBlue on Christmas

-Carlos-

When JC was born (bible stuff) the shepherds were out in the field with their droves. During the winter months it would of been way too cold for such men to expose their sheep to the cold weather. Hence, JC could not of been born on the month of December. Nobody really knows when JC was actually was born since there is no record/evidence of his birth date. My guess is that it MIGHT of been in the autumn - but that's just me.

An insight from Mr. Party Pooper the agnostic terrorist.

_

When JC was born (bible stuff) the shepherds were out in the field with their droves. During the winter months it would of been way too cold for such men to expose their sheep to the cold weather. Hence, JC could not of been born on the month of December. Nobody really knows when JC was actually was born since there is no record/evidence of his birth date. My guess is that it MIGHT of been in the autumn - but that's just me.

Someone should tell the shepherds and sheep in Scotland about this.

Also, "would of"?

And, finally, it is common knowledge that Christmas is celebrated when it is because of the pagan Solstice celebrations that were prevalent at the time the pagans were being converted to Christianity.

It gets cold in Jerusalem in December:

Jerusalem is situated at a relatively high altitude, and therefore experiences quite cold, wet winters with occasional light snowfalls. By contrast summers are dry and warm, with low humidity and temperatures averaging around 75F (24C), making for pleasant bright days. During autumn and spring a hot desert wind called the sharav is common.

Which is why sheep wear wool overcoats.

ETA: That's not to say it isn't awfully convenient that Jesus was revealed to have been born on Saturnalia around the time Christianity became the offiicial religion of the Roman Empire. But too cold for animals kept for their wool to be outside? Really? What did they do instead, have them fly south for the winter?

All that aside, for whatever reason, happy holidays to everyone.

Which is why sheep wear wool overcoats.

ETA: That's not to say it isn't awfully convenient that Jesus was revealed to have been born on Saturnalia around the time Christianity became the offiicial religion of the Roman Empire. But too cold for animals kept for their wool to be outside? Really? What did they do instead, have them fly south for the winter?

All that aside, for whatever reason, happy holidays to everyone.

Still, JC's birth date is unknown. Call it X-mas. Don't bring JC into it. And while you're at it, let's use another format in our calenders.

Enjoy your traditions everyone.

Still, JC's birth date is unknown. Call it X-mas. Don't bring JC into it. And while you're at it, let's use another format in our calenders.

Enjoy your traditions everyone.

X-mas = Christmas. You have to bring baby JC into it, it's Christmas.

Still, JC's birth date is unknown. Call it X-mas. Don't bring JC into it.

Well, historically factually correct or not, the current tradition of Christmas is a celebration of the birth of Jesus (at least that's the official excuse). Also, the X in X-mas stands for "Christ" and has been used like that since the 18th century.

That doesn't mean us heathens shouldn't celebrate this season of peace, goodwill and lights. Call it solstice, yule (which is what we call Christmas anyway up in Scandinavia), Saturnalia, whatever you want; there's a reason every culture has a big holiday when the year is at its darkest.

I will warm-up by opening a new book on the subject of Nanoscience. The Gray Goo scenario is a downer though.

I know that you all accept the fact that, not in our lifespan, science...scientific theory is considered by the majority of scientist earth wide as factual evidence...will upstage (with the United States dragging its heels) religion, right?

I know that you all accept the fact that, not in our lifespan, science...scientific theory is considered by the majority of scientist earth wide as factual evidence...will upstage (with the United States dragging its heels) religion, right?

Did you just throw out your syntax book?

Back