• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Psychological books that change the way you think about the world!!!!!!!

Sasha

Hey, i'm interested in psychological books, whether fiction, like a psychological thriller or just something really abstract in its views/paradigms of the world (i kind of get a kick out of having my whole perception about something flipped on its head). Anyway can anyone suggest any books in that vein?

I'm off medical school for the summer for 4 months starting on the 26th and need something absorb :D

Thanks.

Sash.

Not sure what you mean by a psychological book. Perhaps something that explores the strange ways people think?

A few very different ones that come to mind are To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf, When We Were Orphans by Kazuo Ishiguro, and a few books by Paul Auster. Play It As It Lays by Joan Didion is sort of 'psychological' in that the main character is deep in her own thoughts for the entire narrative.

Hi Sasha,

Maybe if you haven't read them you could try Ghostwritten by David Mitchell or Milan Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being.
:)

Well, All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque changed the way I think about some things. It's a really amazing book.

Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky deals with extreme psychological change. And a great thing is that the characters break all the cliches! The prostitute is holy, the good-looking guy is the crazy person! All the characters are originals.

I'm O.K., You're O.K.-definitely one of the most controversial books out there in psychology. I read it and it just destroyed everything that I previously assumed was the cause of "good" or "bad" behavior when I was younger. The philosophy professors also hated it, I think they secretly loathed the psychology department for some reason.:rolleyes:

Back