• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Question for the Brits

Martin

How do you Brits say the date?

Thursday April 1st 2004?
Thursday 1st of April 2004?
Something else altogether? And what about the puctuation?

Silly question, I know, but any help is appreciated.

Cheers, Martin :D

Well, I don't speak for all Brits, but I say it:

Thursday the first of April, 2004.

I tried to punctuate it how I say it. Remember though, I'm scouse so that may be impairing my speech skills.

igkuk7 said:
Well, I don't speak for all Brits, but I say it:

I tried to punctuate it how I say it. Remember though, I'm scouse so that may be impairing my speech skills.

I'd say it the same and i'm from London :)

igkuk7 said:

I think I'd probably say it like that. But the act of thinking about it has confused my brain. And then I did live in America for a bit and ever since then I still get months and days muddled around. Ah bums, I can't even tell my left from my right. Just ignore me.

Same as the other's - Thursday the 1st of April
By the way I'm from Newcastle so I definitely have a speech impediment! :)

Right.

All of you have managed to be of no help what so ever!

No, thanks all!

Quick question, though. If you were to write the date down, say, in an official letter or something, would you actually write down the 'the' (this one: Thursday the first of April)? Or would you write down 'Thursday, first of April?

Cheers, Martin :D

In an official letter, Thursday 1st April, 2004 (because i'd do it on my computer :))

Phil

The Penguin Guide to Punctuation

In writing a date, it is increasingly common today to use no commas:

It was on 18 April 1775 that Paul Revere made his famous ride.
On December 7 1941 the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor.
She died on the last day of November 1843.

An older style, still acceptable, puts commas around the year:

It was on 18 April, 1775, that Paul Revere made his famous ride.
On December 7, 1941, the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor.
She died on the last day of November, 1843.

You may use either fashion, so long as you are consistent.

Important note: In British usage, a date is written day-month-year, while American usage prefers month-day-year. Hence, Britons write 23 March, while Americans write March 23. This is a potentially serious problem when we use the abbreviated style of writing dates often found in letters and business documents: to a Briton, 5/7/84 means 5 July 1984, while to an American it means May 7 1984. If you are writ-ing something that might be read on the other side of the Atlantic, therefore, it is best to write out a date in full, to avoid any misunderstanding.

Am I allowed to copy this stuff ? :eek: (Thanks Penguin)

Third Man Girl

Martin said:
Quick question, though. If you were to write the date down, say, in an official letter or something, would you actually write down the 'the' (this one: Thursday the first of April)? Or would you write down 'Thursday, first of April?

I wouldn't write it at all. I'd just put the numbers down. So 1/4/04. Unless it was going to an American in which case I'd write it long hand and then it would be 1st April, 2004, and I wouldn't write the day. So there.

If I was saying it I'd say Thursday the 1st of April 2004.
If I was writing it in a letter as the date of the letter I'd leave off the day of the week and write 1st April 2004. If however I wanted to write it in a letter as a particular day someone needed to come in for a meeting etc I'd put Thursday 1st April 2004.

I think officially it should be 1 April 2004. But that's in a letter, etc.

If I said it I'm in agreement with the Scouser and the Geordie :)

Back