• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Random Question..Keep posting

Why are some people so wound up about a movie that they would issue death threats (via the Internet, of course,) to the critics who don't give it a good write up. :confused:

Why are some people so wound up about a movie that they would issue death threats (via the Internet, of course,) to the critics who don't give it a good write up. :confused:

Short answer? Some people are idiots. Long answer? I don't have one other than longer discussion of the short answer.

Would you, or have you ever dressed in costume for a movie premier? (My older kids did last night for the new Batman movie..and yes, they have years of practice thanks to HP and Sherlock Holmes).

awww_trbimg_com_img_5008b068_turbine_kwch_news_rmj_dark_knight_opening_night_201207_005_600_.jpg

Never for a premier, but I used to do the Rocky Horror Picture Show thing.

Good times, those were.

:rofl:

Never did that role, I do nae have the legs for it.

However, for you, sparkilicious, I would consider it. :naughty

Why is there no longer room for what we used to call a character in modern society?

I think we all like to believe we're different from the rest of the pack, but deep down, most are afraid to stick out too much..and yet our history books are loaded with stories of people who DID rise up and dare to be different than the status quo, and we honor them as heroes and heroines. Reading their stories is both inspiring and a little daunting. Being different is not the easy road.

What are some 'characters' of bygone eras that inspire you?

The crazy old man who used to sit in a lawn chair on the corner and play his banjo in between offering advice to passerby about how they should slow down and enjoy their stroll.

The drunk on the pier that used to rant about how expensive everything was becoming. I never knew his background, but but I later realized his lectures were rife with high level macroecon theory.

The tattooed, laicized, surfing nun who while I was trying to date her for three years managed to impart more knowledge and influence upon my young mind than 6 years of expensive paper chasing, and by a wide margin even.

These are examples of the characters about which I speak. Not the vilified or deified, but the ones we used to cross paths with and engage. The lovable oddballs on the fringe of society that now get avoided or swept up. Where are they? Is it my vision that has changed or are they not allowed to interact with us anymore?

Or the real question in my head, if you really want to know it, is have I become one of them? Is that why I can no longer pick them out of the bustle?

Sneezy said:
These are examples of the characters about which I speak... The lovable oddballs on the fringe of society that now get avoided or swept up. Where are they?
I think society just lumps the majority in the same catagory as the insane and avoids them.

Sneezy said:
Or the real question in my head, if you really want to know it, is have I become one of them?
I don't know. Are you the crazy man, the drunk, or the tattooed nun?

Why have I just trawled through this entire thread until my eyes are bloodshot?

Answer: Got some good laughs out of it even if it is the middle of the night.

Next question. Should I stay up or go to bed and try to sleep?

Stay up! Drink that six-pack of Dr Pepper or leftover Starbucks that's sitting in the fridge.

Are you dining in or out today?

Back