• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Reading less

Wabbit

Found this Article, you can read the whole of it here, which reports about a study into the reading habits of Americans. The results are pretty shocking but not all that surprising :)

Bascially, Americans are reading less and less. Although, this study was undertaken in the U.S, I am sure that it is very applicable in any other western country. I am sure if you conducted the same survey in the U.K or in France you would probably get a very similar result.

From the article:

"Among its findings are that fewer than half of Americans over 18 now read novels, short stories, plays or poetry; and that the pace at which the nation is losing readers, especially young readers, is quickening. In addition, it finds that the downward trend holds in virtually all demographic areas."

"The Census Bureau study upon which the survey was based measured the number of adult Americans who attended live performances of theater, music, dance and other arts; visited museums; watched broadcasts of arts programs; or read literature in the past year. The survey sample makes it one of the largest studies ever conducted on the subject of arts participation, and the data were compared with similar studies from 1982 and 1992.

At a loss for reading

In the literature segment, respondents were asked whether they had, during the previous 12 months, without the impetus of a school or work assignment, read any novels, short stories, poems or plays in their leisure time.

Their answers show that just over half -- 56.6 percent -- read a book of any kind in the previous year, down from 60.9 percent a decade earlier. Readers of at least a book of literature fell even more precipitously, to 46.7 percent of the adult population, down from 54 percent in 1992 and 56.9 percent in 1982, which means that in the past decade the erosion accelerated significantly.

The literary reading public lost 5 percent of its girth between 1982 and 1992; another 14 percent dropped away in the following decade. And though the number of readers of literature is about the same now as it was in 1982 -- about 96 million people -- the American population as a whole has increased by almost 40 million.

The survey found that men (37.6 percent) were doing less literary reading than women (55.1 percent); that Hispanics (26.5 percent) were doing less than African-Americans (37.1 percent) and whites (51.4 percent); but that all categories were declining. The steepest declines of any demographic group are among the youngest adults. In 1982, 59.8 percent of 18-to-24-year-olds read literature; by 2002 that figure had dropped to 42.8 percent.
."

So, what do you all think? What is the reason for this? I think, peronally, that it's indicative of a much larger problem. Can you hear the death toll of western civalization? I heard it when they had a hit with Reality T.V! :D

People don't read any longer, but they don't do anything else any longer either. People don't take the time to cook. They are satisfied with pre-made crap. People don't listen to music any more unless its easy pop. People don't go look at art and so on and so on. I guess the anwsers are similar to the ones put forth in the "why does crap float to the top" thread.

Anyway, discuss :D

I know that certainly among my peer-groups at least, reading is no longer deemed 'cool' (or whatever word is used in its position at present), and television certainly assumes a far greater role. Books are seen as uninteresting, time-consuming and too laborious to gain anything from, more work than pleasure. I think study of literature in schools, much as I at times enjoy it, may actually positively harm the desire to read, as the over-analysis at disjointed, stilting pace tend to ruin the book and some assume that it will always be so. Ditto art galleries, museums and the like, as they recall too many memories of stuffy, unfulfilling school trips, and so some cannot be bothered to summon the effort to try and appreciate art in any form.

At least it allows me to relish the warm glow of smug elitism when amidst my colleagues!

I've noticed among my friends (15-17 years old), I'm the only one who reads as a past time. I think one of the reasons is, while we're in school, we're forced to read books that, if read at a leisurely pace, would normally intrigue us. It never turned me off to books, because I enjoyed discussing the book in class, but I know many who just want to read the book and not have to analyze every little detail.

Just an opinion of a newbie :D !

I am far too removed from "mainstream" America to have an opinion on why they don't read, or visit museums, or listen to music, or whatever. Did the survey people ask them why they don't read? I'd say something about television, but then Martin would accuse me of being propped up on that "high horse" of mine again. :)

Irene Wilde

I am always surprised at how many people I know who don't read, except for magazines or maybe the paper now and again. I think that my generation and those younger (I'm 29) just don't have the attention span for it anymore, and between the internet, video games, and 1000 cable channels, there's always something else to do.

The art museums and the other arts in Houston are in a funding quandary right now. There just isn't the interest, plus Enron was a BIG supporter, followed by Arthur Andersen and their attorneys, and that money is gone. I went to see an opera this year (I usually manage one a season) and next time I'm paying cash at the ticket office - they've been hounding me ever since.

Themistocles said:
I know that certainly among my peer-groups at least, reading is no longer deemed 'cool' (or whatever word is used in its position at present), and television certainly assumes a far greater role. Books are seen as uninteresting, time-consuming and too laborious to gain anything from, more work than pleasure. I think study of literature in schools, much as I at times enjoy it, may actually positively harm the desire to read, as the over-analysis at disjointed, stilting pace tend to ruin the book and some assume that it will always be so. Ditto art galleries, museums and the like, as they recall too many memories of stuffy, unfulfilling school trips, and so some cannot be bothered to summon the effort to try and appreciate art in any form.

Maybe there is something in what you say. I think sometimes that school can do a lot of damage with the way they present things to children. When I talk to people and tell them I read a lot they often say something along the lines of "I don't, not since school, they made us read all that dull stuff."

Irene WildeI am far too removed from "mainstream" America to have an opinion on why they don't read, or visit museums, or listen to music, or whatever. Did the survey people ask them why they don't read? I'd say something about television, but then Martin would accuse me of being propped up on that "high horse" of mine again.

No, they didn't ask in the survey :)

Ashlea said:
I am always surprised at how many people I know who don't read, except for magazines or maybe the paper now and again. I think that my generation and those younger (I'm 29) just don't have the attention span for it anymore, and between the internet, video games, and 1000 cable channels, there's always something else to do.

I think there is something to what you say. I think people's attention span is very limited this day. I also think we have become very lazy and anything that demands attention and effort is not wanted.

I went to see an opera this year (I usually manage one a season) and next time I'm paying cash at the ticket office - they've been hounding me ever since.

LOL :)

I get comments made pretty much every day at work about how much I read. I take a book in with me for reading at coffee break and lunch time just in case I get stuck sitting with certain people. If you met the ones I'm talking about you'd be amazed I only take a book and not my spork. Anyhoo, these same people are the ones that have to comment. The same bloody comments every day. It's as though they're shocked someone could get through more than one book in a life time, and if you did why would you want to read another one?

Where my boyfriend works there used to be this South African chap (I only mention the nationality because I think it works best in the right accent) and his reaction to my bf's reading habits was 'Books? They're just other people's ideas.' So for the very reason books are worth reading he dismissed each and every one of them out of hand. :rolleyes:

But at the same time, in the UK, haven't you noticed how much more interest there is surrounding books? I doubt it's really made a dent in the die hard bookaphobes, but chain bookstores are springing up all over the place since Harry Potter and LOTRs (the movie). There are tons of 3 for 2 offers, all these people packing out the in-store coffee shops. The books that mostly seem to be grabbing people's imagination are children's books. Not to disparage them, but this isn't too surprising. When you're dragging a nation back to reading, you can hardly expect them to leap straight into War and Peace. They need something that will ease them back in gently.

So I would be interested in seeing if the stats for the UK do match up with the US. I read somewhere, think it was on the Guardian website, but I'm very probably wrong, that the UK boasted the most bookworms of anywhere. Again, it's quite possibly a spurious 'fact' so if anyone does have the real figures I'd be very interested in seeing them.

So, to conclude my rambling post, maybe we do read less than we used to, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if, when the children of today grow up, we see a lot more people in the bookshops and libraries. All these children's books that are out now and enchanting children and adults alike must surely be doing something to remedy the situation.

Guardian readers! I knew I liked this forum! :)

Thanks to the internet, I have many UK-based chums (also lots of Canadian pals as well), and they are all readers. I don't know if they are representative of the general population or not. But it does seem to me that London has a higher ratio of bookstores (new and used) and newstands than we do in Los Angeles, so I'm thinking there must be a higher demand there. Or maybe right now the economy is just so much better there that people have more money to spend on books.

It would be interesting to compare the figures.

Irene Wilde

Our President can barely read, and for some reason that attracts people as being "cool" and "normal". Doesn't suprise me that the general population numbers have fallen as well. Nuff said before I ramble and make myself throw up.

SillyWabbit said:
People don't read any longer, but they don't do anything else any longer either. People don't take the time to cook. They are satisfied with pre-made crap. People don't listen to music any more unless its easy pop. People don't go look at art and so on and so on. I guess the anwsers are similar to the ones put forth in the "why does crap float to the top" thread.

I think you're right. But it does seem strange. Everything we hear tells us how we're leading busier lives and we must run to keep up, and yet we don't accomplish much. It's similar to when people praise computers for making life easier and yet we still work 40hrs a week. People never savour anything anymore. To sit alone and read for a night is frowned upon as being sad or something. While watching a bunch of egotistical wannabes prune themselves on a reality tv show makes them acceptable and non-threatening. This collective dumbing down is all a bit 451-ish.

Funny how people keep bringing up TV, and how it has become such a dominant "activity," or "pastime," and drawing a correlation between that and a sluggish, unimaginative populace. That would almost make TV seem, oh, I don't know, evil. :) But that couldn't be right, could it Martin? :)

Irene Wilde

Did a quick search for the UK stats and came up with this page. Haven't gone through all the numbers yet, but a quick look found this...
British parents are investing nearly an hour a day more in their children than their European or American counterparts despite a culture of long working hours, according to a leading family expert. Research by Professor Jonathan Gershuny of the Institute of Economic and Social Research shows that the time British parents spend playing, doing homework or reading with their children has more than quadrupled during the past 35 years for both working and non-working parents. The research is based on the analysis of weekly diaries from 3,000 British parents and 60,000 parents worldwide in 1961, 1975, 1985, and 1995.

...which gives me hope at least. I'll go have a trawl through and report back.

Officer Spork out.

EDIT: Officer Spork reporting in. Didn't take as long as I thought, and it seems I was right about we brainy Brits...

Britain remains a nation of book lovers with novels and non-fiction books read in 90% of homes. On average, adults read books for five hours per week. 15% read for at least 11 hours. It showed that despite competition from the Internet and increasing pressure on leisure time, 80% of respondents claimed to be reading for about the same amount of time or more than they were five years ago. Almost all parents say they read to their children or encourage them to read.

...so maybe things aren't as bleak as they seem. :)

omg, ill swap with you both in a heartbeat!!!!!! In fact, offer to anybody ANYWHERE in the entire world! Please! ill swap! Just get me outta here :D

SillyWabbit said:
omg, ill swap with you both in a heartbeat!!!!!! In fact, offer to anybody ANYWHERE in the entire world! Please! ill swap! Just get me outta here :D

That's because you live in London! Come up north where we have hills and moorland rather than tower blocks and congestion charges, then you might not be so ready to swap.

Back