• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Reading Lists

Rogue

Do you use (college) reading lists to keep up with reading the classics or to get new ideas for books?

At the moment I'm reading my way through the BBC's Big Read which is quiet entertaining. Furthermore I've got some College Reading Lists which always give me ideas for new books.

So what about you?

to rogue

I'm not quite sure what defines a classic. You'll never find the same list in two places at once. It's an ever changing list. I like to think that books that stand the test of time (what's that mean?) are considered classics. For some reason 25 years seems like the time alotment for such fortitude.

what are some names of classics?

When you're finished there, Rogue, check out the The Penguin Classics Library Complete Collection, as posted about here by ds.

I'm not a big 'classics' reader myself, I must confess. I do enjoy some older material, but I don't read anything I don't enjoy just to try and be 'well read'. That being said, I do want to understand more about Jane Austen and the times in which she lived so that I can better appreciate her books, which I find at the moment to be quite a struggle.

I've seen that and it's a hilarious thing to buy. If I had so many unread books around me I would go crazy for sure.

I read some Jane Austen and most of them are a struggle (especially Emma) but sometimes you find some really funny remarks and witty comments in these books. I actually enjoyed Pride and Prejudice.

Because I have so little formal education I end up reading the "classics" out of curiosity if nothing else.

It's a pretty mixed bag. One of the reasons that I did so poorly in school was that I'm not very disciplined; although my reading tates are omnivorous, if something doesn't hold my attention I have a lot of trouble staying with it. It seems as though a lot of the classics have a similar problem: They are deadly, deadly dull. I work in finance, and I would rather read pension law than wade through "Moby Dick" or "Portrait of a Lady" again. Life is just too short!

On the other hand, there are many classics that I have loved. "Anna Karenina", "The Catcher in the Rye", "Tom Sawyer" and "Huckleberry Finn" - lots of others. I guess it's all subjective. I have no idea what makes a book good or bad, but I'm not sure that anyone else does, either.

I've looked at the big read, but I mostly go for books that I will find interesting. There are some classics I enjoy, but many of them are so depressing that I don't feel like wasting time on them. I figure I can read the news if I want to be depressed.

i cant believe High Fidelity is #143, mainly b/c that's far from a classic.. it seemed almost out of place. its a great book though

shari said:
I'm not quite sure what defines a classic. You'll never find the same list in two places at once. It's an ever changing list. I like to think that books that stand the test of time (what's that mean?) are considered classics. For some reason 25 years seems like the time alotment for such fortitude.

I think Shari makes a very good point. As Ja said, it's all subjective. And what made it a "classic"?

Personally, I would never follow a list like that. I prefer to dedide for myself what I like and read as I want to. For me, a book has to stand on it's own. It doesn't matter if "they" regard it as a classic, it's for me to decide if I like it and I want to read it. Classic or not, if I'm interested in the plot and the prose is good then I will read it.

Why read a list of books just because some others decided the books are classics? It's been my experience that the "classics" are just the same as all over books. Some of the classics are good and some of them are not. At the end of the day it's all down to personal taste.

I look at lists like this as just a list of suggestions. Just because someone with an Enlish degree decided a title should be a classic, does not mean I have to read it. I veiw bestseller lists the same way. Just because a title has sold x-amount of copies does not mean I will love it. I enjoy looking at the various lists and suggestions, and getting ideas from reading friends and family members, but I relish the freedom to choose a book based on what appeals to me, rather than what someone thinks I ought to read.

I haven't ever bothered with lists like that. The closest thing I've ever done is a home audit of a college course. I basically peruse the UMASS catalog for a good class. Then, when books are available to buy in town I go get a copy of everything they are reading. It's an interesting way to become knowledgable on specific topics.

shari said:

I just picked up Don Quixote by Miguel De Cervantes, who was born in 1547. It's safe to assume the book is at least 400 years old.
I'd say that qualifies.

Back