• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Reading more than one book?

wilderness said:
Hey,
Do any of you read more than one book at once?

I never do, but I'm reading a very large book that its hard to read more than 10 pages in one sitting (heavy novel, intense). So I'm reading a James Patterson book as well, (VERY short chapters, convenient).
This is the only time I would do this though.
Whst do you guys think?
lani

I do this a lot, I use to feel guilty about it as I thought that I would never get either book finished doing it that way, but it's actually worth it IMHO. :cool:
cig2.bmp

I get strange looks from others in theatres when they catch me reading a book before the movie starts... usually from people chatting on cell phones.

sirmyk said:
I get strange looks from others in theatres when they catch me reading a book before the movie starts... usually from people chatting on cell phones.

LOL-They are probably wondering why you aren't doing something more "productive" with your time. :rolleyes: It's scary how many people have book allergies. :eek:

Sometimes I have to read more than one book at a time at school, all those damn history books, and it sucks because sometime you mix things up.

But when I'm reading on my own time I don't usually tend to read more than one at a time.

Beside The Bible, I have limited myself to one book at a time. I used to read a handful of books at a time, but that was when I mainly read "fluff." Mind you, I still enjoy my "fluff." However, I'm now reading a few books that requires my mind to concentrate a bit more.

That's not to say that your mind may still consider it "fluff." :)

Plus, I find that doing this, I make myself reading from my TBR pile instead of spending more cash on books.

Usually 3 at a time.

A. One that I'm "really" reading - my main focus.

B. A paperback for emergencies that I keep in my purse at all times, so that if I'm stuck in a line or have to wait for someone etc. no potential reading time will be wasted.

C. Something work-related that is usually long and dull; I can almost always come up with a convincing reason why I have to read A or B instead.

I always read more than one at time. I don't plan it like, it's just what happens. Sometimes I'll have a book I'm reading while travelling that lives in my bag, and another I'm reading at home or during lunchtimes in the library. I'll often go off and reread something, while I'm in the middle of something else.
It depends on how captivating the book is, how long it is, and how indepth it is. I often get a craving for "light reading"...
Also, if I get my hands on a book that I really want to read, I'll read that straightaway, regardless of whatever else I'm reading.

I quite often find myself reading more than one book at a time. At the moment I'm reading Nine Stories by Salinger, The Double by Dostoyevsky and The Fairytales of Hermann Hesse.

It's a disease this reading thing. ;)

I only read one book at a time. Even if I don't the book I'm reading or if I have a good book waiting, I still have to finish the reading book first. I'm always afraid if I don't finish it, I'll never get to it.

Also it's very confusing for me to read more fanatasy books at a time, you just have to switch whole worlds again and again.

Ordinarily 2-4 books at the time, not counting the Ellery Queen and Alfred Hitchcock short story magazines I keep in the bathroom. :D

I am the same- 2-4 books at the time, at the moment I am reading silverthorn, redemption of althalus, the diamond throne and I am re-reading Magician (i just loved it so much :D)

I am almost always somewhere in one of Tolkien's works... though by now it has been left alone for quite some time. Since I started university I've had precious little time to read books I've picked myself.

But mostly I have at least two books going at once. These days also because there's study reading and there's leisure reading. Study reading includes many of the heavy classics, and leisure reading to me is often the fast-flowing fantasy or thrillers. Such a combo works fine for me.

So currently I'm reading Henry Fielding as it says above, as well as a few others to be a bit ahead of schedule before the university semester starts. They include Jane Eyre, The French Lieutenant's Woman, and Toni Morrison's Song of Solomon as well as the literature for British History, English as a World Language, and Grammar studies.
For leisure I am about to start something new... but what with the load I need to get off my shoulders I think I'll postpone it a bit - but I'll likely be starting Feist's Magician, or Rutherfurd's Dublin. We'll see.

Not two fiction

I do read two books at once if you class non-fiction as well as ficition. I've been reading one of each, or two non-fictions before but i don't think i've ever read two fictions at the same time...tooo brain taxing! I'd prefer to really get into one story than read two together and not really enjoy either as a result.

Claire x

haha god yes

all these years i made sure not to.. but i think b/c of my english classes i fell into that habit. right now i'm reading about seven books. its starting to drive me crazy just b/c i can't seem to finish any of them =X

Back