• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Reading The Hobbit by candlelight

Chris_Morey

So I was on the way back from a very long trip to Portland when I got the overwhelming urge to read The Hobbit again for the first time in over a decade. I bought the book and when I got home there was a major storm, knocking the power out after only a couple hours.

Well, I decided to spend the powerless time by reading The Hobbit, but there just wasn't enough light, so I lit a candle and literally ran the candle along each line.

It's more work, but I have to tell you, it's an incredibly romantic and wonderful way to read, especially with a book like The Hobbit. Now, whenever I feel like reading the book, I light up a candle.

What's exotic to you is an enoying routine over here.
Power cut been sort of a national sport where i live, i tend to look at candles in a less romantic way.
Though a candlelite diner with my wife as always someting special...

What's exotic to you is an enoying routine over here.
Power cut been sort of a national sport where i live, i tend to look at candles in a less romantic way.
Though a candlelite diner with my wife as always someting special...

My ask where you're living? That must certainly make life hard with the power always going out. Yes, here it is a fairly rare occurrence.

We lost power here last year several times, and instead of having the Tele on for the evening I read by candlelight. It is very serene.

And yes, it is ashame we take for granted electricity her where I live. When we do lose electricity it is like camping out, we use it as kinda escape from the norm.

We had a power outage here while I was in the middle of reading The Hobbit so I was also forced to resort to using candlelight during my last perusal.

Back