• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Reading with noise

I can read when there's a lot of noise going on, and sometimes I'll turn on music for background noise. But if someone is trying to talk to me, I can't read. Which is why I don't read often in front of the TV, because my brother will see me and usually start annoying me. Grr.

Choc said:
Is anyone else here capable of reading with noise surrounding them. My girlfriend is capable of reading in a hurricane it seems.....hehe. The TV could be at a reasonably high level, and it doesn't affect her. It's just the same if there is music playing in the same room, or computer games etc etc..

But I'm the total opposite, I have to turn the tv volume right down to a level which is barely watchable by anyone else, and I can't read whilst music is playing or in a public place with noise nearby. Once I read the words, and they go into my head, they just don't seem to compute. And I find myself constantly going back to read lines that I've just read. Just too annoying!!!

Are there any others here that don't have any troubles reading through noise??
How do you do it??

You sound exactly like me.

I can read through conversations around me when on public transport for example, but when someone's mobile phone starts blaring I lose concentration and have to wait for it to stop before I can continue to read.

I find it difficult to read with the television on, even if it is barely audible. I can quite easily read with music playing quietly in the background, although recently I have been reading in silence.

I can read anytime, any place, no matter the noise level. I was reading a Patricia Cornwell novel once while I was home alone, and my mom called 46 times before I finally realized the telephone was ringing, and picked it up to talk. Boy, I got chewed out for that. She almost had the Secret Service out looking for me.

I know why I can read so easily despite all the noise everyone makes...it's because my mom and dad can't be in the same car without yelling at one another on how they drive. Since that would interrupt my reading, I just learned to tune it out, and everything else followed. I actually need a bit of noise to read, otherwise, I can't take in everything. It's really weird. So at my house, the TV can be on full blast, and I'll be in the other side of the house reading. I always get yelled at for "wasting electricity" I'm not wasting it; I'm using it to read, duh! Or my mom could be on the phone with one of her sisters, and I'll be sitting right across from her, deep into a book of some sort. It doesn't bother me at all. I guess I'm kinda lucky.

theoptimist said:
I can read through conversations around me when on public transport for example, but when someone's mobile phone starts blaring I lose concentration and have to wait for it to stop before I can continue to read.

Where I live, that's grounds for justifiable homicide.:D

SFG75 said:
Where I live, that's grounds for justifiable homicide.:D
I bet they wish that they had kept the bloody thing on silent :p

I don't mind a simple 'ring ring' but a dance version of 'Total Eclipse Of The Heart' or a heavy metal version of 'Faith' is taking it a bit too far :D

I really prefer silence. Luckily my house is pretty quite and I'm fortunate enough to have my own office. If hubby wants to watch TV I can go hide in there.

How about this one-can you read while a television is on behind your line of vision? In other words, you can focus on the book but still see the t.v. behind it. That just annoys me to no end, I can't do it.:eek:

Vespertilio91 said:
I actually need a bit of noise to read, otherwise, I can't take in everything. It's really weird.

This actually is the same for me when I'm studying. If I'm reading for pleasure, then background noises will distract me. But since I developed the nasty habit of studying through my entire Year 12 with old eps of "The Simpsons" and "Friends" in the background, I have needed some kind of noise to study with ever since.

Back