• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Finished

The more you read of the damn woman, the less you like her.
Artificial and clever maybe ?

Great selection of books, you read more French than me. Sacrebleue :D

I don't entirely disagree with you :)D how's that for a "French" statement?). Some of her books I absolutely love (Stupeur et tremblements, Métaphysique des tubes, Ni d'Eve ni d'Adam) but others have left me with a very strong WTF? feeling.

I would still say she's one of my favorite writers, although that probably has a lot more to do with the fact that she was one of the very first "francophone" writers I discovered when I moved to Paris.

I think you'd probably enjoy a book called "J'ai tué Anémie Lothomb", it pokes fun at the whole "écrivain vedette" phenomenon.

Ce cher BHL !

Great picture, did they get his wife, too? :D Someone gave me American Vertigo as a present before I left France, I'm sorry I decided to pack it, I could've had room for another Corto Maltese...

I also recently read a book called Boleros en La Habana, by Roberto Ampuero. It's part of his Cayetano Brulé series, about a private detective originally from Cuba living in Valparaíso (Chile). I started reading this series when I was in Chile last year. The books are a little slow but I enjoy them a lot, I love how Ampuero is able to express exactly how and why Cayetano feels so out of place in Chile but has come to love his adopted country so much that he can't bring himself to leave it. I also enjoy the way Cayetano truly "sounds" like a Cuban who has lived in Chile for a while, mixing up his native accent and expressions with words you would only hear in Chile.

Recently finished:

The Terror - Dan Simmons :star4:

Silent Spring - Rachel Carson :star1: for being preachy but :star4: for it's impacts to the environment

The Forever War - Joe Haldeman :star4:

Tobias Wolff-Old School:star5:

Great book about future writer, writing and authors, humorous and dark, with a strong 60 atmosphere.

I have recently finished:

If on a Winter's Night a Traveller by Italo Calvino

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzenitson - sorry knew I wouldn't be able to spell that!

Back