• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Finished

Ricko, yes, that is my understand from previous readings and a couple of great historical specials, that Grant was not a good president for the exact reasons you list.... for whatever reason, he was a terrible businessman, too. I wonder if Grant's Final Victory will tell in detail about when he wrote his memoir.... ? might be by sentimental side but I love the fact he was so in love with his Julia....
oh, and pulled up your web site.... very impressive! if I wrote nonfiction I would be begging you for a read and review.

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith :star5:

AWESOME !!! I loved it and its also extremely easy to read ..

The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao - Junot Diaz :star4:

Entertaining, educational, well written story. Diaz has a unique voice that probably wouldn't appeal to everyone, but it did to me. Just picked up his new one.

Death in the clouds

A hodgepodge group of people board a flight from Paris to Croydon and before they land one turns up dead! Luckily one of the passengers is the great Hercule Poirot. Thus starts another mystery by Agatha Christie, the most read author of all times. Published in 1935, this novel was originally titled 'Death in the Air'. The victim turns out to be a very rich French moneylender, Madame Giselle, aka Marie Morisot. She is found dead in her seat with a red mark on her neck and a poisoned dart in her lap. Did one of the eleven passengers murder her using a blowpipe dart dipped in snake venom, or did a lone wasp sting her in the neck? Who wanted her dead? That is the dilemma facing our mustachioed Belgian detective, who prefers to speak French and lives in England and sometimes in France. When the plane lands in the aerodrome ( I love the flavor of 1935 English language ) in England, our stout gumshoe is met by Inspector Japp of Scotland Yard.:star4::DBook Reviews And Comments By Rick O

Ricko, surely you have read other Christie's Poirot? and if you liked this book, seeing
the movie with David Suchet is a Must! it is called Death in the Air, done about 1990.
I think her Poirot masterpiece has to be Murder on the Orient Express, but many others are extremely clever and well written. I love some of the Miss Marple mysteries, too,
and again, THE Miss Marples to watch star Joan Hickson, done in the '70's. they are by far the best, really fun watches for Christie fans.

To maryjo

This is the fifth Hercule Poirot novel that I've read. I agree that 'Murder on the Orient Express' was her best. I haven't seen any of the movies yet, but plan on soon. Reading Agatha is an ambrosial experience. Hercule would say " Mais oui " to that statement.
Book Reviews And Comments By Rick O

Ricko, when you have gotten through Poirot and Miss Marple, or if you need a break, there is always Dorothy Sayer's Lord Peter Whimsey or Ngaio Marsh's Inspector Allyn. :]

This is how you lose her - Junot Diaz :star4:
Introspective, humorous and heart rending collection of short stories about past loves lost. Mostly told by one narrator, although Diaz also inhabits the voice of a female narrator for one story. Diaz is authentic, gritty, always entertaining, and pulls no punches. Good read, highly recommended.

Railsea

In 1851 Herman Melville published 'Moby Dick' , in 2012 China Mieville published the remake. Well, sort of! Actually the only thing in common is the closeness of their last names. Let's see...We have Melville's whale ship, the Pequod and Mieville's mole train, the Medes. Not quite the same. Then we have Melville's Ishmael and Queequeg, and Mieville's Sham and Benightly. Still no match. What about the captains? The Pequod has Captain Ahab, The Medes has Captain Naphi, but no match because Naphi is a female and has a fake arm, not a fake leg. Well, sort of. The "weird fiction " writer has written his best book to date. I truthfully understood the entire novel! Not that Mieville didn't use neologistical words, or seldom used diction. But after reading three of his previous novels, I finally got my mojo in sync with his style! The fourth book was the charm.
:D:star5:
Book Reviews And Comments By Rick O

Couple of books I've finished during my flu-and-work-related absence:

Alone In Berlin, Hans Fallada - :star5:, utterly brilliant tale of the futility and necessity of resistance.

Waging Heavy Peace, Neil Young - :star4:, wildly uneven but lots of fun.

Spider's Web, Joseph Roth - :star3:, debut novel by a great author I've yet to read much else by.

Earth And Ashes, Atiq Rahimi - :star4:-, short and resonant one-acter from a wartorn country that just happens to be 1980s Afghanistan.

Back