• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Finished

Fall of Giants by Ken Follett. A voluminous book of 852 pages that does full justice to the Historical Fiction genre. Loved the intermingling of war, love and politics.

INFERNO:
Dan Brown should be named the comeback writer of the year after his mediocre novel, The Lost Symbol, crashed and burned in 2009. Though I enjoyed this novel, it did cross my mind that this Robert Langdon character should be put out to pasture. I’m growing weary and bored with this nonaggressive Indiana Jones look alike. It’s business as usual deciphering symbols with a pretty lady as his companion du jour. It’s one art history lesson after another and descriptive writing about famous cities and their churches. Okay, I get it. Again, I liked this book, but please…will somebody make him disappear so that Dan Brown can write another novel like Deception Point. The author is very talented but needs to move on. Even Clive Cussler moved away from Dirk Pitt long enough for the reader to catch their literary breath. Inferno is the type of novel that causes the reader to guesstimate when the next twist will occur, and the surprises will be especially frequent in the last hundred plus pages. 4 OUT OF 5 STARS :devillook ricksreviews.blogspot.com

THE WINTER OF OUR DISCONTENT:
The Nobel Prize winning novel (1962) examines this question: Can one take a respite from good morals, do things totally out of character, and then switch back to good? That is the dilemma our protagonist, Ethan Allen Hawley, faces as he struggles to regain past family wealth and prominence. Published in 1961, this was the last novel that John Steinbeck finished. As with most of his novels, he was initially criticized for ‘making a mountain out of a molehill.' Steinbeck stated that he wanted to expose “the moral degeneration of American culture." He was later exonerated when the details of Watergate and Richard Nixon proved his point. This is the writer that also wrote The Grapes of Wrath (1939), displaying capitalism in a negative way and Of Mice and Men (1937), emphasizing man’s inhumanity to one another. If you haven’t read a Steinbeck novel...start with this one.
;) 5 OUT OF 5 STARS. rickreviews.blogspot.com

The Nobel Prize winning novel (1962) examines this question: Can one take a respite from good morals, do things totally out of character, and then switch back to good? That is the dilemma our protagonist, Ethan Allen Hawley, faces as he struggles to regain past family wealth and prominence. Published in 1961, this was the last novel that John Steinbeck finished. As with most of his novels, he was initially criticized for ‘making a mountain out of a molehill.' Steinbeck stated that he wanted to expose “the moral degeneration of American culture." He was later exonerated when the details of Watergate and Richard Nixon proved his point. This is the writer that also wrote The Grapes of Wrath (1939), displaying capitalism in a negative way and Of Mice and Men (1937), emphasizing man’s inhumanity to one another. If you haven’t read a Steinbeck novel...start with this one.

And, if like me, you started with The Red Pony, you will never read another Steinbeck novel again, although I did force myself to read Of Mice and Men at some point (again not a good choice) at that point I decided he had absolutely nothing to say I wanted to hear. I can not stand these writers/people who only see the absolute worst in humanity without any redemption or hope. Seriously whatever made them so miserably cynical I want no part of it.

Last edited:

An excellent review, thanks for posting.

Steinbeck's strength is what good literature should be. That being, holding a reflective mirror to society and to remind people of their flaws and that we can be better. It's a critical lens and is one that we don't get from politicians. In this light, Steinbeck is a writer of true substance and form. I wasn't particularly fond of this book, though I did appreciate it's message and understand completely the moral presented. To me, it wasn't as "engaging" as The Grapes of Wrath or The Moon is Down. I found the writing to be dry and just not riveting enough to hold my attention throughout the book. Parts of the book are accurate today. The man who owned Hawley's family store was an immigrant and he was merely an employee of this man. In a similar light, we have many people who are struggling to maintain a middle class life style, while it is perceived that others are coming to this country and cashing in. I'm not saying that is accurate, but the perception does match the description of this book in some parts that are very salient today.

Keep the posts coming ricko!

Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay - was really into the beginning, it loses momentum halfway and kind of becomes a typical YA romance. I'm interested to see what Millay does next though :star3:

I will have to look for this next library run, I have read Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men, East of Eden. East of Eden , I loved it was my favorite by him so far, definitely a close look a morality or the lack of, it has one of the most evil characters I can remember ever reading about :)

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

The Return of Sherlock Holmes - Arthur Conan Doyle

What did you think of Gone Girl? When I first finished I wasn't sure if I liked it but now after a few weeks it has grown on me.

To Meadow337: I think it is sensible to examine the thoughts of all authors, especially the notable ones like Steinbeck. As much as it pains me, Steinbeck’s novels about the foibles of mankind are mostly true. I once had a problem reading the dark stories of Cormac McCarthy with his lack of “‘rules of prose.” Now, I look forward to anything he writes. If you want to read language that burns you up, read Mark Twain. But his attitude and racism was prevalent at the time. Different ideas and conclusions are what makes literature so grand.

To SFG75: Thank you so much for your kind words. For the Bookandreader forum, I only publish the first paragraph of my review. If you want to read the full review and my comments, click on to my blog. In November 2010, I decided to write a review for every book I read, so I started my own blog and 20,000 ‘hits’ later it is doing well. I have many authors sending their books to me for my review. It is so much fun! Thank you again.

To Ronny: You seem to have read a lot of Steinbeck, so I know you will enjoy this novel. If you want to meet the most evil character in literature read Harriet Beecher Stowe's Uncle Tom’s Cabin (one of the best books that I’ve ever read) and meet Simon Legree. Thanks for your comments.
:) ricksreviews.blogspot.com

I think it is sensible to examine the thoughts of all authors,

aah well, here I'm afraid we differ. If its depressing beyond description, banal, badly written, negative in its views, just plain unappealing, or as I put it 'from the dark side' I fail to see why I need to subject myself to reading it.

Steinbeck was not about gratuitous violence and "darkness" in and of itself. He had a larger statement about mankind and the values that we hold as important. Crime & Punishment featured a murder, was Dostoyevsky glorifying crime? Was Les Miserable about how children should suffer? Quite frankly and with all due respect, how is one to learn great moral stories and ideas if they are not conveyed in a "warts and all" approach?

That's fine but for me there has to be a ray of hope in the Stygian darkness of the depravity of mankind - thus books like Lord of the Flies by William Golding, pretty much anything by Hemingway, Steinbeck and a few others are amongst the most suicidally depressing and unrelievedly miserable books I've ever had the misfortune to read. Why bother to even get up in the morning if all life has to offer is screaming madness and horror upon horror? Personally it's not for me. I've read my share of these miserably hopeless depressed cynical "greats" and made a choice not to read books like that. There is no joy in the reading, no pleasure, no lesson, nothing, just ineffable sadness and no small amount of anger.

There is enough darkness in the world without succumbing to it and thinking that's all there is. And I don't like reading authors who did or have.

Last edited:
What did you think of Gone Girl? When I first finished I wasn't sure if I liked it but now after a few weeks it has grown on me.
I had mixed feelings about this book. It was fun to read for the most part -- one of those read late into the night until finished books. Ronny, your question prompted me finally to add my review to the Goodreads site. I'll be lazy and just paste it here:

I'm still somewhat conflicted about this one. I found the first half of the book to be quite entertaining and thought it was well on its way to being a four star read.

I caught on to the unreliable narrator aspect from the first page, so no surprise there. Flynn writes well and she made it fun to keep plowing through the alternating POV chapters. Then, midway through, it was apparent to me that a "BIG TWIST" was coming (and that's exactly how I saw it in my head -- in capital letters). The foreshadowing from the male character's POV was the real give-away. I worked out a couple of possible scenarios in my head and thought, oh no she wouldn't - but in the end she did.

I don't mind twists, I just don't like them being telegraphed so far in advance. It makes the story feel contrived and makes me, as a reader, feel manipulated. So as much as I had fun reading portions of the book, I didn't like the way it made me feel disrespected as a reader.

I give it 3 out of 5 stars for entertainment value and not a total waste of time (I would have given it 2 1/2 but it gets rounded up).

I hardly ever get around to writing reviews anymore, I keep a notebook but even it just gets a quick jot :)

Gone Girl, I must admit I only read due to the hype. Every podcast, forum and book club was on about it and I caved under the pressure of my own curiosity. It was a quick read it pulled you in right away but I agree with you on the build up of the twist, it could have been done a little more quietly. I had given it 2 out of 5 stars but may revise that to 3 as well because some of my disappointment was purely the hype based let down and looking back it was not horrible, just not great. I'd recommend it for a travel or beach book.

Back